• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • J_Wales

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2011
    At least they didn't go heavy and use the NDAA to detain the American Citizen indefinitely.... this time.

Love the 1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 20, 2010
    Remind anyone of another incident?

images

What should have happened, is that the library administration filed a Summons and Complaint

Yep, that's exactly what it looked like. Thanks for the great picture that really illustrates this story. Right up there with the picture of angry pit bulls every time someone is attacked by a dog. Take a moment, read the story, and decide for yourself what really happened.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Yep, that's exactly what it looked like. Thanks for the great picture that really illustrates this story. Right up there with the picture of angry pit bulls every time someone is attacked by a dog. Take a moment, read the story, and decide for yourself what really happened.

Maybe he could read the article I linked while he's at it.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    Remind anyone of another incident?

images

What should have happened, is that the library administration filed a Summons and Complaint

Reading comprehension FTL? A little girl was scared by a big man with a badge.

The amusing thing to me is that had the parents been without a child this would be a non-incident. But apparently the police are expected to know that a child would be intimidated by their polite presence on a doorstep asking their mother about a freaking late library item and show have instead...not shown up? Dressed up like clowns? It's not like they set the attack dog on the girl or sprayed her with mace, she was just scared because a large human being with an air of authority appeared on their doorstep.

buckstopshere

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Greenwood
    So...the library should use your tax dollars to hire an attorney and take the 5 year old to small claims court?

I understand your frustration with your sister's car not appearing to be a priority but would you rather that all LE make a small deal out of everything or deal with something like this quickly and efficiently?

The basis of good time management is to not deal with the quick and easy stuff to get it out of the way, you deal with what's highest on the priority list and work down. Best analogy I can think of that sorta ties in.

You don't have to have an attorney for small claims court. Sue and recoup any court costs. That may not be the best solution, but you can't tell me that having LEO show up for an over due library book is the right thing to do either.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Maybe not right, but not wrong, either. If your neighbor borrowed something from you with the understanding he'd return it before the end of the week (say, because you'd be needing it,) and he didn't return it despite multiple calls and a mailed, certified letter or two to him over the course of months, would you not conclude that he had no intention of returning it? Not returning someone's property as agreed IS theft, and theft is something police are expected to respond to and address.

It's not like the librarian is going to go knock on the door him- or herself.

Further, it was public tax money that bought the books in question. By failing to return them, the aggrieved party was "the people of Charlton, Mass." If there are only 20 people with overdue books and each had 2-3 books worth, $15, we're talking about as much as $900.00 the citizens of Charlton are out.

I don't like that the police had to get involved. I don't see another way for people to be made to live up to their responsibilities. Sadly, it still didn't work: It's everyone else's fault that YOU (mom) didn't teach your daughter to respect the property of others and return it in a timely fashion, as agreed.

Full disclosure: My mother was an elementary school librarian, although I never heard her discuss this issue when I was growing up. The above thoughts are solely my own.

Blessings,
    Bill

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    How is this a criminal instead of a civil matter? You rent a movie and don't return it, it's a civil matter. They'll send you a hugely marked-up bill, and screw up your credit. They DON'T call the police.

How is it suddenly criminal when you don't return a library book on time?

Wait... it's the government. That's probably how it becomes "theft."

If there's anything I've learned over the years, it's this: the government gets its money or its pound of flesh, no matter what.

slinkus25

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 12, 2010
    Really people it's not that hard to understand...

IC 35-43-4-3.5
    Failure to return or pay for articles borrowed from library, gallery, museum, collection, or exhibition
    Sec. 3.5. (a) If a person:
    (1) borrows any article which belongs to or is in the care of any library, gallery, museum, collection, or exhibition;
    (2) borrows the article under an agreement to return the article within a specified period of time; and
    (3) fails to return the article within that specified period of time;
    then the lender shall comply with subsection (b).
    (b) If a person commits those acts specified in subsection (a), the lender shall:
    (1) send written notification of the violation of the agreement to the borrower;
    (2) attach a copy of this section to the notice;
    (3) include in the notice a request for return of the article within fifteen (15) days of receipt of the notice; and
    (4) mail the notice to the last known address of the borrower or deliver it to the borrower in person.
    The lender shall send the notice required by this subsection by certified or registered mail, return receipt requested.
    (c) If the borrower willfully or knowingly fails to return the article, or reimburse the lender for the value of the article, within thirty (30) days of receipt of the notice required in subsection (b), he commits a Class C infraction.
    (d) A person who commits an offense under this section may not be charged with an offense under section 2 or 3 of this chapter for the same act.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Partly, I think, that the libraries are "government", yes, but also that the companies like Blockbuster choose not to pursue it as theft. Another factor is that the library doesn't charge you to borrow, subject to specific terms of duration. They do charge fines for a book being overdue, just as Blockbuster does, though far lower. The idea that the father could run up over $100 in fines for audiobooks amazes me. (Admittedly, I don't know how much they charge per day... if it was a dollar a day, maybe, but even so, I think the most I ever paid was 50 cents, and that was at a quarter a day. (no, not from the school where my mother worked... I had stuff in two days early there, but I have no doubt she would have fined me just like any other kid!)

Blockbuster could call police, but they make more money by doing as you describe. The library isn't interested in making money, per se.

Edit: After reading the post preceding mine, there's that, too. Good find. Rep inbound.

JMHO.

Blessings,
    Bill

thebishopp

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 26, 2010
    Indiana
    Personally I think it's a waste of law enforcement time. This is my only issue with what happened. They should have just sent some kind of process server with a summons to court (assuming they previous attempts to collect had failed).

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    They were in possession of someones property, period. They did not return it. The 5 year old girl should never have been mentioned in the article at all. If she had been 15 maybe.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Cops were dispatched to collect the books, How To Tie My Shoes and Eloise's Birthday from a 5-year-old girl in Charlton, Massachusetts.

The Police Chief says that overdue library books are the equivalent of stolen property.

Officers were sent to over a dozen homes taking back library books.
    Good God, it's a frigg'n civil issue. I would slap the dispatcher that sent me on that run. Disagree with this 100%. What is this statement that they are the "equivalent" of stolen property. They either ARE stolen or the are NOT. They are not stolen, they were borrowed, it is the length of the borrowing at dispute. Then again, I say the same thing about cars. You lend your car to a "friend" nicknamed "G" and he never brought it back...too bad, you need to use better judgement. Sadly though, I am still required to take a stolen vehicle report. I didn't have to in the past but now we do. I used to say to them, "You are the one who let them drive it, not my responsibility to get it back for you." It's our slide into the nanny state.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Really people it's not that hard to understand...

IC 35-43-4-3.5
    Failure to return or pay for articles borrowed from library, gallery, museum, collection, or exhibition
    Sec. 3.5. (a) If a person:
    (1) borrows any article which belongs to or is in the care of any library, gallery, museum, collection, or exhibition;
    (2) borrows the article under an agreement to return the article within a specified period of time; and
    (3) fails to return the article within that specified period of time;
    then the lender shall comply with subsection (b).
    (b) If a person commits those acts specified in subsection (a), the lender shall:
    (1) send written notification of the violation of the agreement to the borrower;
    (2) attach a copy of this section to the notice;
    (3) include in the notice a request for return of the article within fifteen (15) days of receipt of the notice; and
    (4) mail the notice to the last known address of the borrower or deliver it to the borrower in person.
    The lender shall send the notice required by this subsection by certified or registered mail, return receipt requested.
    (c) If the borrower willfully or knowingly fails to return the article, or reimburse the lender for the value of the article, within thirty (30) days of receipt of the notice required in subsection (b), he commits a Class C infraction.
    (d) A person who commits an offense under this section may not be charged with an offense under section 2 or 3 of this chapter for the same act.
    Class C infraction, we would NEVER get involved. All we would be able to do is write a $150 ticket, what purpose would that serve? Civil collection agency would do a FAR better job of recouping the money than anything the GOV could do.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    It's not like the librarian is going to go knock on the door him- or herself.

Um...Yes they might.
    When I was a Library Director's assistant, that was part of my job. Every Tuesday evening, he & I would go retrieve books that were at least a month overdue (usually with a 90% recovery rate). It was a last ditch effort before turning everything over to a collection agency...which nobody on either side wants.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Um...Yes they might.
    When I was a Library Director's assistant, that was part of my job. Every Tuesday evening, he & I would go retrieve books that were at least a month overdue (usually with a 90% recovery rate). It was a last ditch effort before turning everything over to a collection agency...which nobody on either side wants.
    At least you didn't get the police involved...

Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    Fort Wayne, IN
    The 5 yr old is being used as a pawn by irresponsible parents and journalists. The kid is being used to add juice to the story. The cops were not going after a kid, they were the horrible parents.

How are people on here condoning their actions by faulting the library and police?

Top Bottom