• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cp009

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 75%
    6   2   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    NWI
    For you police officers out there where do you get you duty gear and what do you recommend brand wise? I need to get cuff holder taser holster baton holder etc...
    Also what would you recommend for a vest to be worn externally?

milton

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    I'm stuck with brown basketweave. It's expensive anywhere you go. I personally like Jenkins, mainly due to the pleasant experiences I've had with them. Every now and then, I'll shop online if I'm not in a hurry to get it.

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Greenwood
    For you police officers out there where do you get you duty gear and what do you recommend brand wise? I need to get cuff holder taser holster baton holder etc...
    Also what would you recommend for a vest to be worn externally?

I love US Uniform in downtown Indy.... They are awesome people. What kind of external vest are you looking for?
    SR Jenkins, at least the store on East 21st St. has plastic bins in the back with used duty gear. Lots of basket weave and high gloss belt stuff. They also have level II vest parts that you can sift through and piece together a decent vest if you know what you're doing.

US Uniform Supply store is great and the guys there are straight forward and helpful. I was fitted for a level II Safariland vest there a couple years ago. They showed me a new vest carrier that is supposed to be a little cooler in the summer. The carrier itself looked like a uniform shirt (you pick the color) and just wear your regular uniform shirt underneath. Looks like this: https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTJGdLNBl6aMk00hZz7IfPln1ske9kdkxJFXBJsQJDZeMKFXRv

However, if you're going "external" and don't have to worry about looking like a storm trooper then you should just go with a Level III vest. It all depends on what type of work you do and what you're likely to encounter, but IANAC (I am not a cop.)

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I don't care for Jenkins.

Us uniform is where it's all.

Always been taken care of in there.

Can't help ya on a choice for external vests....
    I'd stay away from jenkins . I've had to shop I there before and everything seemed high. I used to like their back room deals but the last time I went they wanted too much for the crap back there too IMO.
    Id recommend buying online. Go try on stuff locally to get your sizes and then buy online and save money. If it's gear you need hit up ebay first.

cp009

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 75%
    6   2   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    NWI
    Thanks for all the replies. I'm up in nwi so those stores I'm assuming are down towards Indianapolis. I'll be working for a class 3 railroad, but it is located on the south east side of Chicago in a rough area. I just like the idea of an external vest and the ease of just throwing it over my Polo. Unfortunately I have to pay for all my gear so just trying to get ahead before I start the Academy and work. It looks like I probably will go with the Bianchi accumold. So I'm more looking for recommendations on vests.

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Greenwood
    Thanks for all the replies. I'm up in nwi so those stores I'm assuming are down towards Indianapolis. I'll be working for a class 3 railroad, but it is located on the south east side of Chicago in a rough area. I just like the idea of an external vest and the ease of just throwing it over my Polo. Unfortunately I have to pay for all my gear so just trying to get ahead before I start the Academy and work. It looks like I probably will go with the Bianchi accumold. So I'm more looking for recommendations on vests.
    Does it matter if your external vest is also a carrier? Level III vest sounds like a good idea.

cp009

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 75%
    6   2   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    NWI
    Does it matter if your external vest is also a carrier? Level III vest sounds like a good idea.

That is what I'm trying to better understand is do I buy the armor then get a carrier? I just like the the versatility of external armor more pockets etc...

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    Quartermaster or Galls. Internet can save you some bucks, shop around.(try Ebay or Amazon-compare shipping, some charge a lot for that and buying a couple of things from the same dealer might save you some)
    Good luck.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    I have used Safariland and like it a lot. Currently my nylon belt is composed of all Blackhawk! items. They have held up well for me and I'd buy them as likely as I would Safariland. I actually have several Blackhawk! brand new duty gear items sitting around that I'd make you a good price on, I think I even have a brand new belt....

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    I have worn an outer vest for about 10 months now in a Voodoo Tactical carrier. IIIa is heavy stuff every day. I found the best price on an eBay store and from my experience you have to be careful what outer you buy because many if not most are designed for hard plates and not soft armor.

I know the Voodoo I have works good and I almost bought a Condor that was quite a bit more expensive but looked pretty nice and should have worked with the soft armor.

joe138

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Lawrence County
    Check with local agencies. There is a shop in Chicago, I can't remember the name, that makes a lot of the local agencies external carriers. Also check with your agency to see what is approved before spending the money. They should also be able to provide a list of providers.

jsx1043

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan
    Style of outer carrier will make a difference as well. Since you said you'll be in a polo shirt, you probably don't "need" an outer carrier that resembles a uniform shirt. A MOLLE carrier is the way to go for modularity, but may be deemed too "intimidating" by your agency. I've been wearing (by issue, not by choice) a Point Blank R20D external carrier for a few years now. It has held up well and is pretty comfortable. It allows me to insert my soft armor and will accept many different cuts of NIJ style armor. The best part about external carriers with pockets is the ability to take some items off your waist and move them up to your chest, changing your center of gravity and taking weight of our hip bones.

Top Bottom