• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    You would think, of all people, a cop would know that it's irresponsible and dangerous to go around unarmed, if that is the case. Really dumb to leave crap laying around in your car, too. Thieves suck, and should all just drop dead, but stupid people make thieves lives a lot easier.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    We've had three of our police vehicles broken into in the last month (I think all of them were done within two days of eachother). I think a shotgun, vests, a couple handguns, and some computers were taken.

As far as being unarmed. The article only says that there was an issued firearm and personal firearm (Taurus? WTF?) taken from the vehicle. We are issued more than one handgun (some of us, three), so it's possible only one of his issued weapons were taken while he had another on him.

avengedXT

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 84%
    20   4   1
    Feb 15, 2010
    Behind the V!
    Back window busted out.... No alarm went off with the back window doing that? I'm far from an expert, but I would hope/assume any busted window would trigger a vehicle alarm (that SHOULD have been armed.)

So not only did the BG have time to make enough ruckus to bust a rear window on a vehicle, but he also had time to climb in through that window at 10:45AM (NOBODY else was at this coffee shop? Guess they must suck / maybe the police officer has a girlfriend behind the counter) and steal what I highly doubt was sitting in the open, two firearms along with three loaded magazines, two badges...

That's determination. This one seems odd to me, though.

Stainer

Master
    Rating - 97.1%
    33   1   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    God's Country
    Back window busted out.... No alarm went off with the back window doing that? I'm far from an expert, but I would hope/assume any busted window would trigger a vehicle alarm (that SHOULD have been armed.)

:laugh:HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHH :laugh:Thats funny. Our department sure as hell doesn't have enough money for car alarms.

On a serious note, this has been a growing trend. I take my firearms out of my car every night because of this. I also don't leave firearms in an unattended vehicle. It's just not worth it to me. I don't need a thug having another gun that they could use against me or one of my brothers, or anyone for that matter.

mercop

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    PA
    For years EMS and Fire turn out gear have been turned up missing from trucks and firehouses across the country. IHMO that is a much better costume to gain access to someone your are not supposed to be than a cop costume. - George

dusterboy49

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Fremont
    The LEO should have at least locked the weapons up in the trunk, not foolproof, but a better choice if he was leaving them in vehicle.:twocents:

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    :laugh:HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHH :laugh:Thats funny. Our department sure as hell doesn't have enough money for car alarms.

On a serious note, this has been a growing trend. I take my firearms out of my car every night because of this. I also don't leave firearms in an unattended vehicle. It's just not worth it to me. I don't need a thug having another gun that they could use against me or one of my brothers, or anyone for that matter.

What do you do with your shotgun or AR when you are not with your car? Are you telling me that you take your long gun with you in to lunch?

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    They were in a duffel bag in the back seat. It was an undercover officer so the vehicle would be anything BUT a police style vehicle. I bet the suspect had no idea who's car he was breaking into. We are issued one handgun but we can qualify with as many off-duty guns as practical. All over the city, we have been getting a ton of "smash and grab" thefts from vehicles. Just had one last week, guy left his briefcase on the floor behind his driver seat. Vehicle had dark tinted windows. They drove up and smashed the window without even looking in first, took the briefcase. The poor guys life was in there, but he was most upset about the KelTec he had inside.

ab1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2011
    Sounds like there have been a bunch of smash and grabs lately...even more reason for a LEO to have their weapons secured in a locked trunk or some type of secured/attached compartment if they are not carrying. I personally would never leave two weapons and various gear just laying in a duffel bag on the back seat, I find it very surprising that a LEO would.

"There have been a bunch of smash and grabs lately" is more reason to be extra careful, not an excuse for it happening again and losing this kind of gear to the street.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Sounds like there have been a bunch of smash and grabs lately...even more reason for a LEO to have their weapons secured in a locked trunk or some type of secured/attached compartment if they are not carrying. I personally would never leave two weapons and various gear just laying in a duffel bag on the back seat, I find it very surprising that a LEO would.

"There have been a bunch of smash and grabs lately" is more reason to be extra careful, not an excuse for it happening again and losing this kind of gear to the street.
    Oh I agree. Although leaving it there to run inside a business real quick is not uncommon, hell, I cannot tell you how many people leave their cars unlocked/running doing the exact same thing only to get them stolen. Blame rests with the suspects.

ab1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2011
    Oh I agree. Although leaving it there to run inside a business real quick is not uncommon, hell, I cannot tell you how many people leave their cars unlocked/running doing the exact same thing only to get them stolen. Blame rests with the suspects.

:yesway: let's hope they recover the gear and start catching some of the morons. You guys have enough to deal with...this kind of press just gets in the way of an already tough job.

lrahm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Newburgh
    What do you do with your shotgun or AR when you are not with your car? Are you telling me that you take your long gun with you in to lunch?

Mine gets locked in my house every night. I really don't know of any departments having alarms.

lrahm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Newburgh
    Here's a bit of a problem. On really nasty nights. I might carry my AR in the front seat (in a case). If I stop for a restroom break, I do need to be conscious of the equipment in my car. I do need to secure it. Was it lax on the officer's behalf, don't know. I just don't want my equipment to get into the wrong hands.

Top Bottom