• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • No2rdame

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Noblesville
    I'd be angered beyond belief. Fortunately, two of my dogs are so old they probably wouldn't even notice if an entire SWAT team busted through every window and door of my house. The only dog that would attack is our dachshund and if you have to shoot one of them you are pathetic.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Puppycide is a common occurrence these days. I read a couple of cases a week where officers kill someones dog and get away with it. Shoot, they can get away with killing people, think anyone's gonna raise a stink about a dog? Nothing to see here, move along.

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    "After an extensive investigation, it has been determined that that officers involved followed proper department procedure and no charges will be filed....."

^^^I predict this will happen. In most of these kinds of cases, that is the answer. :xmad:

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    Aren't police K-9's classified as "officers"? If you harm a K-9, don't you get charged with assaulting an "officer"?

So, shouldn't the officer be charged with wrongful death of a "citizen".

I personally don't agree with classifying dogs on the same level as humans in either context but why should the police get to have it one way, while "civilian" dogs can be killed with impunity?

Some animals are more equal than others.

k.leonard

Plinker
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    North Vernon
    happened to my ex a few years ago. they busted down the door and shot the dog on site in front of the family. said because it was a pitbull they were just protecting themselves.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    happened to my ex a few years ago. they busted down the door and shot the dog on site in front of the family. said because it was a pitbull they were just protecting themselves.

They can use the same justification for shooting us on sight: "He was a gun owner, we were just protecting ourselves." (never mind that the gun was in the safe)

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    It should be illegal for some people to be cops......

The tragedies caused by unstable people loose with a smorgasbord of powerful weapons and able to hide behind the law while themselves being largely exempt from it, at least in practice, demands more careful screening, background checks every time they are issued a new piece of equipment, and their records being available to be shared instantly between federal agencies. After all, we must keep the most vulnerable among us safe, including our children and pets. IT'S FOR THE KIDS AND PUPPIES!

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Any farmer could tell you that a 9mm won't penetrate the skull of a cow or do much damage at all. Cow lungs are tougher than shoe leather.

1. If the retards don't understand the proper uses and limitations of their weapons, they shouldn't have them. They are supposed to be professionals and should be held to that standard, just like they expect my driving, maintenance, and record keeping to be perfect under the threat of extortionary fines because I have been labelled a 'professional'.

2. Unsuitability of the 9mm for killing a bovine notwithstanding, I have no doubt that the poor creature hurt like a son of a b*tch while being shot repetitively. Since we don't believe the 9mm to be adequately lethal, why not take the two-legged morons out and beat them with pick handles--not enough to kill them but since inflicting pain isn't a problem, let's make it a two-way street.

3. Why is this nonsense accepted out of trigger-happy cops. There are other solutions besides killing animals and people as the case may be in any situation. One wonders how many of them are sociopaths who kill for the fun of it. Back to the point, domestic cattle have been kept for thousands of years and generally, when at large, can be caught with a small modicum of effort, but I suppose that isn't as much fun as pumping them full of lead. Hell, it's an excuse to shoot something other than a paper target. Why let a good opportunity go to waste?

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    Sad that this happened. Would think the police would get some kind of warning put in their personnel file for being stupid......

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 23, 2009
    Brainardland
    The only guys in my department who could shoot or who knew anything about their own guns were the ones who were gun enthusiasts.

A big problem was that the non-gunnies simply didn't understand the limitations of our weapons. They figured if the department issued then it would handle whatever situation they were in.

One of our guys once fired at a bull with his .38 sixgun (against his sergeant's orders) and it ran over him like a freight train. He spent six months in the hospital.

I once watched about a half dozen guys who thought they were "covering" a suspect on an upper floor of a high rise apartment building with their shotguns. If they'd fired none of that 00 buck would have gotten anywhere near the guy but they were clueless. I mean, a shotgun IS the same thing as a rifle, right?

I always laugh at armchair experts who say civilians can't handle defensive shooting scenarios because they're not "trained professionals."

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    Agreed, and dog sure as hell =/=police officer!

(How do you get a real 'not equal' sign?)

Just copy and past from the guy you quoted

see. Otherwise dont' know
    Mackey ≠ computer guru

That cops response to the killing of the mans dog was cold and calloused. I don't think there should be huge sums paid to the man, but policies certainly need to be changed.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Just copy and past from the guy you quoted

see. Otherwise dont' know
    Mackey ≠ computer guru

That cops response to the killing of the mans dog was cold and calloused. I don't think there should be huge sums paid to the man, but policies certainly need to be changed.

Sometimes a workable solution is hidden in plain sight!

Brushscrubber

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I'm sorry but in my household my 3 dogs (ACD's) are our kids. While many have their human kids there are some folks like my wife and I who can not have kids. Unfortunately with working full time jobs, plus part time jobs to try and live this great "American Dream" we can not afford to adopt either. At an age of 36, and the state of our economy and taxing keeps going I don't see an adoption happening. So our dogs are our kids. Some may see it, others don't get it, its ok.

But if a cop bust through the door and just shot my dog(s) I would venture to say that my wife and I would probably be dead too because we would shoot back. Nothing can be said for sure because it never has happened nor do I hope it happens because until I (we) are put into a specific situation we can only speculate on how it would be handled.

I will say our vet lost one of our first 3 year old male when we boarded with them over an Easter weekend 4 years ago. I still go up in the Fishers area and drive around the neighborhoods to see if I can find him hoping someone just didn't turn him in, not a day goes by that we don't think of him, so it IS like someone loosing a child. At least for us.

Yes

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    Police are doing this purposefully to incite violence. They are hoping people will shoot back or worse...go on some kind of revenge rampage.

The more this happens, the more restrictive laws they can pass.

That said, I'd be firing back if they think they can just murder my dog. So there you have it. I guess I'm evil.

Top Bottom