Police ransack locked truck during warrantless drug sweep of concert parking lot

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    A businessman attending a concert returned to discover that his locked, parked truck had been opened and aggressively searched by a police dog. Not only were his rights violated but his vehicle and electronics were ripped out and damaged by the search.

Nothing was found, yet he had to foot the bill for repairs and reinstallation of his stuff.

Tampa police were evidently performing a dragnet search through the concert parking lot, using dogs to generate probable cause where none existed. Apparently they saw the hip-hop concert as an opportune place to generate some arrests for victimless crimes.

“You think if anyone is going to break into your vehicle...the last person you think, it’s going to be the cops.”

Police ransack locked truck during warrantless drug sweep of concert parking lot

This is another perfect example of how the Drug War erodes everyone's rights and privacy, even if you did nothing "wrong."

Matthew-Heller-1.jpg

Lebowski

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Between corn and soybean fields.
    Sometimes thugs get employed as police officers. Sadly they can't all be good guys. There is no reason for him to have to pay to have his own vehicle (which appears to customized from the article) fixed on his own dime after some thugs went in and tore it up.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    To All,

I am surprised no one has commented on his name?

It would be great if this guy sued all the way up to the Supreme Court and won! It would be Heller v Tampa.

Imagine the grief Mr. Heller's case would cause to lawyers and judges across the country. "Your Honor, in the Heller case... No, not that one, the OTHER one..." or "According to Heller... No, the one with the dog, the Court ruled..."

Oh, the joy of wishing it so.

Regards,

Doug

jon5212

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    What sucks even more, most insurance policies exclude coverage done by government actions, like what they did here.

Magneto

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 6, 2009
    New Albany
    I would be furious. I would be on the phone with every tv station, radio station, newpaper, and blog in the area. They either make it right, or I would sue the frak out of them.

Destro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    The Khyber Pass
    not saying it didn't happen, but thats a seriously janky note given the circumstances. If I saw it my first thought would be somebody broke into my car and tried to play it off that the PD did it.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    not saying it didn't happen, but thats a seriously janky note given the circumstances. If I saw it my first thought would be somebody broke into my car and tried to play it off that the PD did it.

Now that you mention it, it IS rather curious that the officer's card isnt attached or his badge number isnt jotted down. Isnt that SOP officers? To include your badge # in the case of TWO officer Smiths, etc.?

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Tampa police immediately declared that the search was legal, regardless of what was left behind in the truck.

The officer left his unique phone number if you want to chat.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    Well, considering that article comes from a website called "Police State USA", so there's already an 'air' of 'hokiness' to it.

So, no response from the Tampa PD, hunh? Nothing provided as a 'counter'. Cops just "evidently" did a random drug search at that parking lot 'cause the forum was hosting a Hip Hop concert? 'Cops hate air horns sooooo much they just ripped his out to teach that air-horn loving b*****d a lesson'?

Heller, a 'businessman', has his truck broken into by the cops and damaged sustained then just fixes it and does nothing? No complaint filed with the Chief or IA, no complaint to the 'City Fathers', no contacting a lawyer, no suit against the Department or the specific Officer (who 'obviously' left his name and phone number on a poorly handwritten note) for damages? Nothing? :scratch:

Of course. :laugh:

LOL, Heller being AT that concert should be 'probable cause'. ANY car at that concert should be 'probable' cause. LISTENING to Hip Hop should not only be 'probable cause', it should be prima facie evidence of guilt, no further 'proof' needed! :lmfao:

The story, while it MAY be true, sure has an 'air' of :poop: about it.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    Well, considering that article comes from a website called "Police State USA", so there's already an 'air' of 'hokiness' to it.

So, no response from the Tampa PD, hunh? Nothing provided as a 'counter'. Cops just "evidently" did a random drug search at that parking lot 'cause the forum was hosting a Hip Hop concert? 'Cops hate air horns sooooo much they just ripped his out to teach that air-horn loving b*****d a lesson'?

Heller, a 'businessman', has his truck broken into by the cops and damaged sustained then just fixes it and does nothing? No complaint filed with the Chief or IA, no complaint to the 'City Fathers', no contacting a lawyer, no suit against the Department or the specific Officer (who 'obviously' left his name and phone number on a poorly handwritten note) for damages? Nothing? :scratch:

Of course. :laugh:

LOL, Heller being AT that concert should be 'probable cause'. ANY car at that concert should be 'probable' cause. LISTENING to Hip Hop should not only be 'probable cause', it should be prima facie evidence of guilt, no further 'proof' needed! :lmfao:

The story, while it MAY be true, sure has an 'air' of :poop: about it.

For sure, police dog noses are far from 100% reliable. However, from the looks of this, they may be far more reliable than the noses around here used for checking BS. This story smells fishy, at a minimum.

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish

That was my first thought after seeing the note. Seems like the police would have a more official looking "sir, your rights have been violated." note.

LP1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Friday Town

This ^^^

Between the hokey note and the viewpoint of the website on which it is reported, it all points to a practical joke. And yet, a number of folks on INGO swallowed it whole.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    This ^^^

Between the hokey note and the viewpoint of the website on which it is reported, it all points to a practical joke. And yet, a number of folks on INGO swallowed it whole.

Not me, I'm waiting on the court of appeals.

Top Bottom