• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Relatively Ninja

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Indianapolis
    This guy is stopped in Maine for open carrying and he uses his knowledge of case law to correct the police officer's illegal seizure. I don't know the specifics of Maine's laws, but this guy keeps arguing that he doesn't have to show his ID to the cop. The citizen comes off as a little bit of a pr*ck, but he's very good at standing his ground.

Discuss! :ingo:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0RzAF007LM

rgrimm01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Sullivan County, IN
    I thought he came off alright. He might have been concerned that he would have been put on a "watch list" or have cruisers swing by his house. If he was not required to give his name, why would he?

From his perspective, he was stopped for a legal activity. What if you were playing softball at the park and a cruiser pulled up an officer took all of the bats and balls(for officer safety) and wanted everyone's name because someone called reporting a "man with a bat"?

Or

What if you were stopped at a red light and a gaggle of LEOs pulled everyone at the intersection out of their vehicles and handcuffed them?

I would almost bet that if the officer had not taken his firearm, he would have given him his name. Maybe not...

Relatively Ninja

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I'm certainly not complaining about this guy's response to the LEO. His on-the-spot knowledge of appropriate case law was excellent. I know if I was in the same situation that I wouldn't want a LEO to be disarming me for no reason at all. I was under the impression that if a police officer asked you for your ID you had to give it to him. I know that in Indiana if a police officer approaches you and asks to see your LTCH and ID you must show them to him. However, if everything is valid he can't keep you, and he shouldn't take your sidearm away while he's doing it.

MickeyBlueEyes

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    BFE, Indiana
    I've had both, Officers wanting to disarm me and officers telling me that it was just fine that I had a weapon with an LTCH... Best moment was when the two county boys pulled me over in the middle of BFE and said I was driving kind of fast, although neither of them clocked me. They asked me if I had a gun and I said doesn't everybody? Then they told me to exit the vehicle and show them where the weapon was and I got frisked and then the weapon taken from me while one deputy sniffed the barrel of my loaded weapon to see if it had been fired. I explained to the officer that was frisking me and performing an illegal search of my vehicle that I didn't consent to for him to empty the barrel in my gun before his buddy shot himself in the head with my weapon. Apparently, there was a random shot fired by a car and my truck looks an awful lot like a car in the dark. And since it was in the country, it must have been anybody driving home to their house. The deputies were using a call of a shot in the country which is perfectly legal at any hour, to pull me over because I was driving 45 mph in a 45mph zone...

long coat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 6, 2010
    Avon
    I'm certainly not complaining about this guy's response to the LEO. His on-the-spot knowledge of appropriate case law was excellent. I know if I was in the same situation that I wouldn't want a LEO to be disarming me for no reason at all. I was under the impression that if a police officer asked you for your ID you had to give it to him. I know that in Indiana if a police officer approaches you and asks to see your LTCH and ID you must show them to him. However, if everything is valid he can't keep you, and he shouldn't take your sidearm away while he's doing it.

You would only need to give your LTCH to the LEO, you don't have to give ID. Can someone post the IC on ID, it is only miner stuff you have to give ID.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom