• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Yamaha

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Summitville,IN
    LOL, so anyways, approximately 0020 hours I was at the Summitville town gas station after doing shopping and visiting friends. I had my new ar in the car due to having the trunk and rear seat full of groceries and cases of pop. At approximately 0035 hours I have a town officer approach me and ask why he was receiving calls pertaining to a kid with a gun in his vehicle, ask for my license and if I had a permit for my weapon in the vehicle. Before I reached for my wallet, I advised them I had my glock on my hip under my shirt. The officer joking then asked why I was all armed up tonight. I responded I only had the ar15 in the vehicle due to stopping by a friends house to show him and that the glock was for my personal protection. I then proceeded to hand him my LTCH and drivers license, he then asked what the ar was and if it was full auto. I responded that it was a rock river ar15 and that no it wasn't full auto because I don't have a nfa class III license yet. The officer then chuckled at the words yet and told me someone had called them thinking I was going to rob the place, and that they had assumed they only received that call because I am 23. After that I was returned my LTCH and license, and then we both wished each other a good evening and went on our separate ways. It is honestly a great thing that police do check into it, but obviously someone panicked and wasted the officers time due to the evil black rifle....lol

Anyways, I have had a good night and wanted to report this to the board for a positive LEO encounter for a change. :D

Last edited:

Chefcook

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Raccoon City
    LOL, so anyways, approximately 0020 hours I was at the Summitville town gas station after doing shopping and visiting friends. I had my new ar in the car due to having the trunk and rear seat full of groceries and cases of pop. At approximately 0035 hours I have a town officer approach me and ask why he was receiving calls pertaining to a kid with a gun in his vehicle, ask for my license and if I had a permit for my weapon in the vehicle. Before I reached for my wallet, I advised them I had my glock on my hip under my shirt. The officer joking then asked why I was all armed up tonight. I responded I only had the ar15 in the vehicle due to stopping by a friends house to show him and that the glock was for my personal protection. I then proceeded to hand him my LTCH and drivers license, he then asked what the ar was and if it was full auto. I responded that it was a rock river ar15 and that no it wasn't full auto because I don't have a nfa class III license yet. The officer then chuckled at the words yet and told me someone had called them thinking I was going to rob the place, and that they had assumed they only received that call because I am 23. After that I was returned my LTCH and license, and then we both wished each other a good evening and went on our separate ways. It is honestly a great thing that police do check into it, but obviously someone panicked and wasted the officers time due to the evil black rifle....lol

Anyways, I have had a good night and wanted to report this to the board for a positive LEO encounter for a change. :D

Since when did you need a permit for a long gun??? :cool:

MBG

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Indy-SW
    I would assume the officer did not know exactly what kind of gun he had, therefore asked a standard question.

Good post!

Yamaha

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Summitville,IN
    yep, two good encounters in 2 nights *knocks on wood* the night before it was a verbal warning from muncie pd for catching air at bethel and tillotson beating a light....lol

Shay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Indy
    Sounds like it was handled fairly well on both sides.

no it wasn't full auto because I don't have a nfa class III license yet.

To clear up a little wording:

Unless you are going to be in the business of selling Title II items (machine guns, short barreled shotguns, short barreled rifles, suppressors and AOWs), you won't need a license or Class III SOT. You will need a tax stamp to own Title II items that are registered in the NFA registry.

Donnelly

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    Cass County
    I wonder if police departments ever release statistical figures on how many "MWG" calls that they answer that turn out to be a big ol' nothing, like the non-situation with the OP.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Train your dispatchers properly train your dispatchers properly train your dispatchers properly train your dispatchers properly train your dispatchers properly train your dispatchers properly train your dispatchers properly train your dispatchers properly

concrete dog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 19, 2008
    Goshen
    sounds like the op handeled it very well,right along with the leo.seems to be alot more good reports turning up of leos not breaking peoples rights

sporter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southern, Indiana
    Permit for the AR15 huh? Maybe ingo ought to start selling those!!

LOL

Seriously, that's twice now we have heard about a permit for an "AR15" from LEO's (the other was the female officer in the Valpo protest video/audio clip) in the last 2 days...

Do the cops in question read the IC or Federal gun laws anymore or do they just shoot from the hip?

Nothing worse than misinformation.

Sounds like your encounter went generally well and you handled it like a gentlemen. Kudos to you for being a responsible gun owner.

Last edited:

Boilers

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    If we create another card to carry, please let it be as far from PINK as possible. My driver's license and my LCH are both pink. Rhymes with shrink.

SC_Shooter

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    Bloomington
    Train your dispatchers properly train your dispatchers properly train your dispatchers properly train your dispatchers properly train your dispatchers properly train your dispatchers properly train your dispatchers properly train your dispatchers properly

What should be done Scutter??? :D

It sounds like the FTF portion of the encounter went well, though it is still a little disappointing that the call was made in the first place. At the same time, consider the mindset of the likely caller...Sheeple Hoosier Extrordinaire.

All they see on TV (their only source of information) is how these evil black guns run around on their own and kill innocents and how the people who own them are lunatics. It's wrong, as we all know, but it IS what they hear and learn. These calls will keep happening until the public at large learn the difference between bad people and good people (notice how "with a gun" was unnecessary).

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    What should be done Scutter??? :D

MWG calls should not automatically mean an officer should be dispatched to the scene. We hear stories on INGO frequently about encounters of this sort. It's a waste of the officer's time. The dispatchers need to be trained to ask if the MWG is doing something illegal, and if the answer is "no", then you move on. If someone called 911 and reported a "man with a baseball bat" or a "man with a tire iron" (either of which could be easily used to commit a crime), they would most likely not send an officer.

SC_Shooter

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    Bloomington
    MWG calls should not automatically mean an officer should be dispatched to the scene. We hear stories on INGO frequently about encounters of this sort. It's a waste of the officer's time. The dispatchers need to be trained to ask if the MWG is doing something illegal, and if the answer is "no", then you move on. If someone called 911 and reported a "man with a baseball bat" or a "man with a tire iron" (either of which could be easily used to commit a crime), they would most likely not send an officer.

I was just teasin ya! I know exactly what you mean on this one and couldn't agree more.

Top Bottom