• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    I have a Polish Tantal AK 74. It works well but I hate the folding stock. It is too short and forget about getting a decent cheek weld. I am not sure how they used these rifles in the cold Polish winter given the single bare metal rod design of the stock.

I would like to find a replacement stock, one that offers a NATO LOP and offers a better cheek weld while retaining the ability to fold that it currently has. I would also like to avoid making significant modifications to the weapon if at all possible.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a source for a good NATO LOP stock? I expect we have a few months before any real regulation gets done, so I am hoping to find one before anything major comes down the line.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    Any standard stock will fit it without modification, because the Tantal uses a standard rear trunnion. I'm a big fan of the KVAR / Arsenal ones, but there are cheaper ones out there that would suffice as well.

loganathompson

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    hey dude. just picked up a interarms ak74 today. with the folding wire stock. its ok but from what ive looked up so far today everything should be compatible aftermarket wise for the buttstock.

MattCFII

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Danville
    Wire folders are only available in Warsaw Pact length (Cope's is a great place to buy). You can improve the cheek weld with a paracord wrap, although for AK irons, it is probably one the best positions for me. You can paracord wrap the back to but it won't really do that much for length of pull. There is a stock pad that increases length of pull on triangle folders (and pad while using grenade launchers in the military), but I can't remember if it fits the Polish/Romanian/East German folder. EDIT: It does, www.fseusa.com/product_info.php?products_id=339 (never ordered from them though). Adds a 1/2".

For drop in NATO LOP, you pretty much have the Tapco Galil (get what you pay for) or Ace with a trunnion block that is a little ugly and adds to folded length. Bone Steel Arms/CNC Warrior/One source Tactical have a folding mech that you screw a AR buffer tube into and use an M4 style stock.

Overall though the curved wire folder is my favorite drop in option. The curve is specifically designed to allow easy operation of the bolt and safety when closed and doesn't block the optic rail, all the other designs mean you have to sacrifice one of those features.

Last edited:

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    I notice this company says it has the Tantal folders available, Warsaw pact length of course.

Ever heard of them? I haven't been part of the firearm community for very long so I don't know who is who as far as trustworthy companies go yet.

Cope's Distributing

Copes is great. Also check out KVAR, AK Builder, and Atlantic Firearms. Between all those, your bound to find one you like.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    I thought KVAR was shut down due to "overwhelming demand"? but maybe not. I really like some of the stock options there I think that is where I am going to buy If they are still selling.

03A3

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Shaker Prairie
    I thought KVAR was shut down due to "overwhelming demand"? but maybe not. I really like some of the stock options there I think that is where I am going to buy If they are still selling.

Give Ultimak a look and they may have something for you.
    I haven't heard anything about them being shutdown/overwhelmed, but then I haven't ordered anything from them lately either.

It may have been on Desert Fox last night that I saw the wire folders for considerably more $ now than what they were a couple of years ago.
    People either like them or they don't, but they are worth a bit to the people that do want them.
    I have one wire folder and while I'm not crazy about it, it does serve a purpose so I've kept it.

It seems like I saw some Bulgarian furniture on Desert Fox too. And also the screws to install a stock. Don't overlook those if you switch to a different type of stock.

indyk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Alpha site
    +1 on the Russian style FSE extension /recoil pad, this will solve your length issues, on your cheek weld I suppose you wont be shooting for match accuracy with your tantal so check what i done with my sling, I got the info at Ak files and it works w/o purchasing a funky rail or something that absolutely doesn't look authentic.
    if that bothers you.:D

adjust your sling so its tight and wrap around the butt of your stock. Although below is an AMD but should work also with a Tantal.
    picture.php

when you need a rest unfold the stock wrap the sling, perfect:ingo:
    :twocents:

Last edited:
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    That bolt on cheek riser looks workable, and some padding to get the cheek weld. I am not necessarily a AK purist in that it needs to match issue items but I enjoy shooting the weapon, and would enjoy it much more if I can solve a couple of minor ergonomic issues.

Thanks for the help guys!

njbenja06

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Columbus, IN
    as stated definitely keep the folding stock and even consider putting it up on GB while you can get some good money for it. Or list it on here and make some good connections. Either way best of luck with your tantal, love mine because a lot less kick than the wasr

Top Bottom