• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Slapstick

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    Cleaning is necessary for long life of your dies. A polish is not needed for anything except it makes some reloaders feel better.

JMO.

I beg to differ, women like shinny things hence the shinier the ammo the more women like it, the more women like it the more guns you can buy for the shinny ammo. There's always method to the madness :D

(Of course that holds true only if you're married or have a girlfriend, if not disregard the above.)

J10

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 3, 2010
    Morgan County
    I like shinny brass, i only buy Federal bulk .22 instead of the others because the brass is really shinny.

But from a new-to-reloading-but-going-to-try-it guy, other than being shinny, wouldn't it help with chambering and extracting casings as the outside of the brass is smoother?

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I like shinny brass, i only buy Federal bulk .22 instead of the others because the brass is really shinny.

But from a new-to-reloading-but-going-to-try-it guy, other than being shinny, wouldn't it help with chambering and extracting casings as the outside of the brass is smoother?

Nope.

thescrambler

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    I polish with steel wool by hand when I am trimming cases. Then I clean with a sonic cleaner. I also clean the primer pockets after I trim them. I put a primer pocket brush in the chuck of a cordless drill and spin it.

I like to polish by hand rather than in a tumbler because I am trimming anyway, and can make sure to get every part of the casing clean. Plus it only takes seconds.

JT

octalman

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2010
    In my experience, a little polish cleans the brass faster. As far as die wear and tear, RCBS tech support recently told me all brass needs to be lubricated when using steel dies. Do not have to lubricate if using Carbide.

squirrelhntr

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 10, 2010
    n.w. indiana

;) YES

scowens

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 31, 2009
    Southern Indiana
    It came, I tried it, woh! They are shiny! As mentioned above, it does help shorten the cleaning process, and little, to no dust. For this, I will polish all my brass with this. However, after getting the bottle, next time I may go to my local auto parts shop and get some car wax, unless anyone know if there is some secret ingredient in there.

pinhead56

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Indianapolis
    You want to look for polish that is ammonia free for ammo brass. The ammonia is hard on Zinc (a component of brass) and too much can eventually dissolve it away. Most ammo polish is ammonia free, just check if it's not specifically for ammo casings

SW911

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2011
    You want to look for polish that is ammonia free for ammo brass. The ammonia is hard on Zinc (a component of brass) and too much can eventually dissolve it away. Most ammo polish is ammonia free, just check if it's not specifically for ammo casings

I heard the ammonia makes the brass brittle.

Top Bottom