Political protesters now threatened with jail time if they don't get permission slips

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    What an oxymoron -- You want to protest the government, but you have to get their approval and pay a tax to do so. That's what passes for freedom in America these days.

Protest "permits" are nothing but a tax and a blatant violation of the 1st amendment.

Now protesters are being threatened with more than just infractions; they are being threatened with jail time (max 1 year) if they don't submit to unconstitutional and arbitrary rules.

Los Angeles city attorney is taking a harder line with political protesters

59345684.jpg

.40caltrucker

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Maybe they should hold a huge protest in protest of the permits. There is only so much room in jail, but then again it's Cali I'm sure they'd call in the national guard. I wonder where the ACLU is on this, wait that's right they don't care much for real rights of Americans.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    I wonder where the ACLU is on this, wait that's right they don't care much for real rights of Americans.

You'd be surprised. The ACLU is pretty good on many issues, aside from gun rights. I would almost guarantee they would stand up for free speech here.

This article is actually in support of liberal protesters who wanted the DREAM Act to pass (Amnesty). I don't support their cause but I sure as heck support their freedom of speech.

Marc

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2008
    District 6
    never mind the video listen to the lyrics.... the time is coming

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8KQmps-Sog[/ame]

John Galt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 18, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances." - First Amendment

At what point and what will it take for us to take our country back from this madness?

CVMA544

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 26, 2010
    SW Indiana
    "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances." - First Amendment

At what point and what will it take for us to take our country back from this madness?

I guess Los Angeles City Atty. Carmen Trutanich feels that since she isn't in Congress she isn't violating anything.

And what is really stupid, (beside the law/policy) is that something so blatantly wrong is gonna take up public time and money to overturn it.

Maybe when it is said and done when public officials step off into dumb arse land and do things like this they get the bill personally to pay back the cost of both sides legal fees.

That might keep their brain housing group out of their fecal waste disposal orafice.

Pocketman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2010
    This could be good news for the real criminals who'll be paroled to make room for the arrested protesters.

leveraction

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    near camp atterbury
    the other day I was just thinking of protesting.I did not have my tin foil hat on,and the next thing I knew a black helicopter landed in my back yard. The men in black took me to an undisclosed location,I know this because Cheaney was there. They grilled me for days about my subversive activities, before they blindfolded me and took me home. glen beck has offered me an interview on his show, my fase blurred of course. should I do it.

Love the 1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 20, 2010
    Well, the reason for prosecution is definitely the protests.

And only one group was arrested for obstructing traffic.

I'm not going to say what the reason for the prosecution was, just that another thread title is completely misleading (ie: a flat-out lie). Bottom line, if they don't obstruct traffic or block a sidewalk, they can't be arrested. Just like you have freedom of speech to say what you want to aanyone you want. If you break a law while you are using that freedom, expect to be reported/arrested/cited for whatever someone can find a reason to punish you with.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    I'm not going to say what the reason for the prosecution was, just that another thread title is completely misleading (ie: a flat-out lie). Bottom line, if they don't obstruct traffic or block a sidewalk, they can't be arrested. Just like you have freedom of speech to say what you want to aanyone you want. If you break a law while you are using that freedom, expect to be reported/arrested/cited for whatever someone can find a reason to punish you with.

I mean, you aren't surprised are you?

What is so hard to understand about this:

The protest snarled rush-hour traffic on Wilshire Boulevard for hours. When police ordered the protesters to disperse, they refused. They were arrested and charged with unlawful assembly and blocking the sidewalk or street — misdemeanors that carry a maximum sentence of up to one year in jail.

Seems pretty cut and dry to me, but I actually read the article and not just the title before posting.

Sure, permits for protesting are STUPID, but that is not why they are facing jail time.

Top Bottom