Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Yup, that was the point of the joke;
    what-do-they-call-brazil-nuts-in-brazil-nuts.jpg

If there is some other meaning than that I am more than happy to admit my ignorance of it.

They are also known as Bertholletia excelsa.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Brazil nuts? What an odd reference to bring up, in a conversation talking about people.... oh wait, NOW I get why that reference was used.... doh. Though I'm sure most of the rest of the membership, and mods, are blissfully ignorant.

You can be such an ***!

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    He and Alpo are totally correct. I recall hearing it in Detroit. It was fairly common. It's a stupid reference and concept (like most racially biased things). I think it was more an ignorant reference than intended as a slur, but totally out of bounds for , oh 30/40 years. I remember having to correct recent eastern European family members that despite the fact "" an American" taught them this, it wasn't cool.

After re-reading it I am sure that the statement in this thread was not related to the slur, but it's not like Kut made this up. That unfortunate name was used. And by people who would never see themselves as "racist" or even disliking the folks the slur was related to. So, being I heard it in the Midwest, I am surprised no one in IN has....(I am being vague as to not give away the term to those not familiar with it. It does NOT need repeating)

English Muffin, Spanish Rice, French Bread, Italian Sausage... amazingly enough, none of those have other "questionable" alternative names. I guess Oakriver was just unlucky the example he choose. He probably should have used one of the examples from his area of origin, Europe, rather than go all the way to South America.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    Brazil nuts? What an odd reference to bring up, in a conversation talking about people.... oh wait, NOW I get why that reference was used.... doh. Though I'm sure most of the rest of the membership, and mods, are blissfully ignorant.

WTF? It was a conversation about hyphenated Americans, and Irish car bombs. You whine about people attacking you, instead of your argument. Allow me to say, your argument is without any merit, and completely out of line. But you already know this. You admitted this in what I just quoted. Blissfully ignorant, or you're going to go so far out on a limb, and make this about race? What a ****ing joke!

1DOWN4UP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2015
    North of 30
    I heard the nut term growing up in the south.My family do eat alot of nuts thru out the year.I have not heard the term in at least 30 years,but did hear it a few years ago,and it was said by a black friend who we we're in a conversation on the best and worst tasting nuts.We agreed that Pecans are the best tasting nut.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    WTF? It was a conversation about hyphenated Americans, and Irish car bombs. You whine about people attacking you, instead of your argument. Allow me to say, your argument is without any merit, and completely out of line. But you already know this. You admitted this in what I just quoted. Blissfully ignorant, or you're going to go so far out on a limb, and make this about race? What a ****ing joke!

Like I said earlier, perhaps he was ignorant of its other "name." Me, I'm wary of coincidences... especially when followed by a emoji. And let's be honest, there are a enough random victimhood posts about "Well, he's male and white," that I find your opposition to anything I say laughable, at best, hypocritical at worst.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    ”questionable”

nothing of the sort

I guess Oakriver was just unlucky the example he choose.

No, he had absolutely nothing to do with this current descent into stupidity.

He probably should have used one of the examples from his area of origin, Europe, rather than go all the way to South America

I for one am glad to have you here to bless what speech is permitted by your definition of reality.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I understood what Kut meant immediately, but I could not fathom how he made the leap.

6EP7EtMUVc_1419200156369.jpg

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    Hmmm, pecans. Yes, heading down south on Wednesday to dispatch some pecan-eating varmints on my dad's place with my CZ 452 17hm2. This is a firearm site, right?

I heard the nut term growing up in the south.My family do eat alot of nuts thru out the year.I have not heard the term in at least 30 years,but did hear it a few years ago,and it was said by a black friend who we we're in a conversation on the best and worst tasting nuts.We agreed that Pecans are the best tasting nut.

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN
    Like I said earlier, perhaps he was ignorant of its other "name." Me, I'm wary of coincidences... especially when followed by a emoji. And let's be honest, there are a enough random victimhood posts about "Well, he's male and white," that I find your opposition to anything I say laughable, at best, hypocritical at worst.
    I could be on a fool's errand trying to reason with you and explain this, but I'm still going to try.

Did you actually read my post, the one you are taking offence to? If you had read the ordinary and plain words that were written you'd realize that I was responding to another user, that the comment was not directed at you, and that the emoji was the same as at the end of the comment I had quoted because we were keeping a joke going.

Here it is unquoted, unedited;
    O8NUDIu.jpg

I'm sorry that you took offence to it, but you are looking to be offended by something that simply is not there.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom