• Is this creepy or not?

• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Typical of high handed pompous education/industrial complex academics and administration people. During my oldest son's freshman orientation at IU we got up and left after some particularly offensive remarks by these jerks. I was told while exiting that " We aren't done yet." I replied that "I am."

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Three things that jumped out at me from the article:

1) It is being used to split students into groups, for analysis.

2) The opt-out mechanism could be irrelevant, because in some cases, students are "opting-in" by the simple act of using a University's wifi network.

3) It's already being used to track things like gym use and "chapel attendance."
    This is not just about class attendance.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Imma go with D. It’s not exactly Orwellian as ****. It’s in the spectrum though. There’s not a bacon option so the closest to **** that school is D.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Imma go with D. It’s not exactly Orwellian as ****. It’s in the spectrum though. There’s not a bacon option so the closest to **** that school is D.
    D? That's the grade I got in the class where my attendance was weak... Actually, I almost always went to class; the D's were because Signals and Systems, Diff Eq II, and Statics are just hard f***ing subjects.

This stuff is not much different than my wife having to constantly "check in" everywhere we go. :n00b:
    ...or the "safe driver" monitoring gizmos for auto insurance.

College students are in that weird state of not-quite-adults, but also no-longer-kids... that certainly hasn't changed.

As for attendance, if you can pass all the test without going to class, then WTF are you enrolled - you already know everything! The professor does want you to pass (properly, of course), and if some choose to use a carrot and stick to get you to show up, so be it. Not everything important they say and teach ends up on a test.

Maybe if I had this in school then I wouldn't have the reoccurring nightmare that I have a final for a class I never attended.

Now the bad: it does condition "the educated class" into a belief that surveillance of this level is the norm.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Sadly I think the youngest generation has been successfully conditioned to this kind of thing, tracked via tagged ID badges and nanny devices from birth and accustomed to being watched. They're probably been brainwashed into finding it comforting. My generation, the last to have any living memory of a time when they weren't tracked everywhere, will be the last to utter a word of complaint about surveillance. "But it keeps us safe..."

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Three things that jumped out at me from the article:

1) It is being used to split students into groups, for analysis.

2) The opt-out mechanism could be irrelevant, because in some cases, students are "opting-in" by the simple act of using a University's wifi network.

3) It's already being used to track things like gym use and "chapel attendance."
    This is not just about class attendance.

See post #3. I knew sport was virtually a religion, but this is the first time I've seen it formally addressed as such. :):

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    This tracks whether or not a students registered phone attends class.
    Wise students will register their previous series phone with the app and keep their newest phone separate. Then, they can send their old phone with friends and be counted as attending.

If the lecture is attended by three people carrying large bags of phones, the lecturer might notice. The "students" could then argue they should be counted as attending because they were meeting the attendance requirements the lecturer specified.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    This tracks whether or not a students registered phone attends class.
    Wise students will register their previous series phone with the app and keep their newest phone separate. Then, they can send their old phone with friends and be counted as attending.

If the lecture is attended by three people carrying large bags of phones, the lecturer might notice. The "students" could then argue they should be counted as attending because they were meeting the attendance requirements the lecturer specified.

:yesway:

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    polling's closed but orwellian as f for this country and imo. just another day for china. As with many things, there's a small window of potential benefit when properly used and a huge freaking cornucopia of ways it can be misused with as difficulty as an breathing.

Life is full of expectations such as attendance what better place to learn this than college? This is the "i" generation and just the next level of.freedoms to erode.so.what's the problem? Another generation or two and they'll be implanting the chips at birth.

you joke... they aren't.

I had heard of one of the schools doing this with sports games. They were having lagging attendance because the teams sucked. So to encourage students to attend, they would give them extra credit for attending home games. But if they left before it was over, no credit will be given. Apparently even when kids would show for the games, they'd bail at halftime because they were getting spanked. So by the end of the game there were hardly any students left to support the team.

There are better ways to do it. And who cares if the students attend your lectures? Either they pass or fail. College students have done fine for generations using this method.

One of the paragraphs mentioned it being required for participation in a sport. So you can be effectively cut off from extra-curricular school activities by opting out. not to mention potentially having it required for things like using the school wifi, living in campus housing, getting books from the library, eating in the cafeteria, discounted admission, etc. There's no end to the way to potentially abuse/misuse it.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    polling's closed but orwellian as f for this country and imo. just another day for china. As with many things, there's a small window of potential benefit when properly used and a huge freaking cornucopia of ways it can be misused with as difficulty as an breathing.

you joke... they aren't.

One of the paragraphs mentioned it being required for participation in a sport. So you can be effectively cut off from extra-curricular school activities by opting out. not to mention potentially having it required for things like using the school wifi, living in campus housing, getting books from the library, eating in the cafeteria, discounted admission, etc. There's no end to the way to potentially abuse/misuse it.

If everyone pulled out of school over it, then there'd be no problem. They'd drop the requirement.
    But instead, everyone gives up more liberty.

Top Bottom