Poll: Do you roll your car windows down in nice weather?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Do you drive around town with your windows up or down on a nice day?

• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    My range is pretty narrow and on the cooler side. I'd say between 50 and 60 around town, the windows are down in my pickup. If the humidity is up, so are the windows. Anything above 75 is hot to me.

Our minivan suffers from "inside thunder" as the kids call it. Bernoulli effect is what Tom and Ray from Cartalk called it. So the windows are almost always up.

Backpacker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Greenwood
    I have the passenger window down half way and drivers' side all the way down in nice weather. I roll them both up very near the top if stopped for very long.

I'm not paranoid really, just careful.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Tool'n around town - windows down is OK. But that all depends on the average speeds and even the wind speed.

My car and our van tend to get painfully loud inside, due to buffeting, above 40mph or so, if just the fronts are down.

Even state highway speeds end up just being too loud with the windows down. Interstate speeds are right out.

Besides, it's more fuel efficient to have the A/C on and windows up if you're over 45mph or so anyhow.

In reality for me, though, it's all about the noise. I'd rather it be quiet.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Don't you work in a foundry? It has to be like a gazillion degrees or you're probably cold!:laugh:

Steel mill. In a Continuous Caster.
    In the summer, the casting floor is regularly 130 degrees in the summer. With this weater, it's only about 100.
    Couple days ago, I had to tighten some bolts on a sensor on the ladle of steel that we were casting on.
    Outside of the ladle is 800 degrees.
    I cake away with red on the right side of my face, and my ear hurt for a couple hours.

On the top of a crane, I've seen 174 degrees.

I have been taken out on a stretcher once for heat.
    (3 times overall)
    I was working on a temperature sensor for the incoming liquid steel, spent a little too long on it.
    The elevator was out, so I started up the stairs 100 feet to get to my shop for my tools, then back almost to the ground for the sensor.
    Muscles cramped up. Felt funny. Spoke gibberish.

Risks of the trade.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Steel mill. In a Continuous Caster.
    In the summer, the casting floor is regularly 130 degrees in the summer. With this weater, it's only about 100.
    Couple days ago, I had to tighten some bolts on a sensor on the ladle of steel that we were casting on.
    Outside of the ladle is 800 degrees.
    I cake away with red on the right side of my face, and my ear hurt for a couple hours.

On the top of a crane, I've seen 174 degrees.

I have been taken out on a stretcher once for heat.
    (3 times overall)
    I was working on a temperature sensor for the incoming liquid steel, spent a little too long on it.
    The elevator was out, so I started up the stairs 100 feet to get to my shop for my tools, then back almost to the ground for the sensor.
    Muscles cramped up. Felt funny. Spoke gibberish.

Risks of the trade.

I've done that before. Had nothing to do with work though. Just too much bourbon. :):

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    90% of summertime driving, windows down. I wear scrubs at work and our office absurdly cold.
    Only co workers who get hot are overweight.

I love driving home from work feeling warm for the first time since I got up in the morning.

I keep it off at home unless the humidity gets crazy.

w_ADAM_d88

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Greenfield
    Unless it's pouring down rain or I'm driving with the entire family in the vehicle my windows are down... especially spring, summer, and fall... ...and I'd say probably 50% of the winter.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Noticed this myself today. Too many cars with the windows up. Folks shut themselves off from the world.

Wife and I had the windows down and the top open in the Jeep this evening. Too nice NOT to.

Before I sold my TJ, the doors came off sometime in May, and the windows out, and it stayed that way all summer. Looking forward to my NEXT Jeep, so I can do that again.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Some of us still have hair that blows in the eyes. Hard to stay in one's lane at 70mph with hair interfering with one's vision. The wind also plays havoc on the contact lenses. Of course, when I am wearing my cowboy hat, my prescription sunglasses, and heading for the range, I "roll the windows down, turn the radio up and let the wind blow through my hair." :woot:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I was driving across the causeway at Griffy lake today, elbow out the window. Very rarely use the AC.

I about drove in the water, watching a topless chick in a kayak...

...****ing man bun... :xmad:

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    My range is pretty narrow and on the cooler side. I'd say between 50 and 60 around town, the windows are down in my pickup. If the humidity is up, so are the windows. Anything above 75 is hot to me.

Our minivan suffers from "inside thunder" as the kids call it. Bernoulli effect is what Tom and Ray from Cartalk called it. So the windows are almost always up.
    If you can remove the pressure differential it should stop. To open the sunroof in either of our vehicles you need to crack the windows to stop the effect. Some combination of front/rear should help your situation.

I open windows or go topless as long as I'm not sweating buckets or taking a double digit mile trip on a highway. AC reserved for 85+ and high humidity.

Top Bottom