• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Which would you have TWO of, AK or M1A?

• Total voters

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Had 2 AKs, sold them, cause they're a PITA to suppress and thought the platform was overrated.

Never had a M1A (but have a Garand and M1 Carbine), but again, PITA to suppress and never thought the M1A was the end all be all answer (like the love the Garands and Carbines get too)

So.......optic or suppressor. Or 3rd AR

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I have zero experience with the M1A (never even shot one) and minimal expertise with the AK platform, so my opinion probably comes from a different place than others.

If it were me, I'd get another AK first. Why? Let's look at the major reasons to own two of the same gun:

-To be able to hand to a friend or family member if things get really hairy.
    -To have a second gun in case the primary goes down.

In either instance, the AK makes more sense to me. You could hand it to a 10 year old and they could learn the platform in a couple of hours. It's also the poster child for being able to strip down and cannibalize if parts on the primary fail.

Just my :twocents:

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Wow lots of votes for the M1A.

I'm a huge fan of the M1A but for me it's a "one and done" rifle. AK's, AR's? They are like potato chips, you can't have just one.

I'd vote for getting another AK. If you are only looking for magazine compatibility the CMMG Mutant takes AK mags and is the best of the AR and AK worlds wrapped into one. Considering the price range you are looking at, I'd be buying a Mutant instead and then have money left over (compared to the scout or loaded) for extra ammo or more magazines....

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Someone here has to be the contrarian, so I say option four: top quality bolt action, either Savage 110, Ruger M77, or possibly a Sako or Tika.

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    Two AK platforms here. I had one and then inherited Dad's when he passed away. Plan on keeping them and passing them on to my two kids at the appropriate time.

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    The M1A of course. If I'm gonna carry and shoot a rifle that reaches the 8 lb range it had best be capable of at least 500 yds. The M1A does that easily.

Jake226

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 7, 2012
    Bloomington
    M1A Scout w walnut stock for sure. The trigger won't be as nice as the loaded model but you can take care of that. 18" barrel is the perfect length.

Top Bottom