• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • How clean is your grill?

• Total voters
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    This evening I was grilling some chops when The Boss came out to see how long it would be until they were done. Opened up the lid to check them and she makes a comment about the amount of stuff that was built up on the grates. I got to thinking that as far as I know, I don't think I've ever cleaned our grill, and we've had it about 3 years now. I use it year round, minimum of once a week so there's quite a bit of build up. There's been several discussions in the past about grills, but I don't think there has ever been one about how clean (or not) our grills are. I thought it would be interesting to see what all the gurus of the grill here have to say on the matter. So, anyway, how often do you clean your grill?
    Here's the choices:
    1. Never, never, never.
    2. Once in a great while, like once a year in spring to get it ready for the year.
    3.Occasionally, a couple or four times over the spring, summer, and fall.
    4. Regularly, once a month or so.
    5.Often, maybe every other time I use it but not every time.
    6. Every time, always.

Oh yes, the chops were nom, nom, nom good!:D

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    What do you mean by clean? I use the scraper, but that's about it. So, if that's cleaning, I do that before I use it every time. If that's not how you define clean, then I never, never, never do it.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    i use the scraper/wire brush before i start and after i finish.
    my grill has a self cleaning option, but i find it wastes to much lp and the surface is hot enough to use the brush/scraper.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    What do you mean by clean? I use the scraper, but that's about it. So, if that's cleaning, I do that before I use it every time. If that's not how you define clean, then I never, never, never do it.

Anything more than knocking the loose stuff off is cleaning. If you have to scrape to keep your food from sticking, then its not cleaning.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I usually hit the grate with a brush before tossing anything on there. Other than that, it doesn't get cleaned.

The smoker is a different story.

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    2-burner Weber Spirit with coated cast iron grates.

I leave it on high for a few minutes after cooking to burn off the junk, then next time I need it, I give it a light brushing before I use it.

Last edited:

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    Wire brush on the grates everytime before I put anything on. Crank it up on clean setting after I'm done if it started to flare up while I was cooking. Depends on what you're grilling. Chicken legs and thighs are the worst offenders...but they earn the right despite the PIA factor.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Wire brush the grates before/after I cook. I'll scrub it pretty well at the beginning of the season to get the crud off of it, and again if it gets bad. Its a gas, so it may get new parts when I clean it up.

MMmmmm.... Now I'm hungry again!

Bounty Hunter

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2010
    There you are.
    I clean it in the spring as far as scraping all the loose crud and cleaning the pan below. During normal use, I turn on high after I cook for a few minutes and scrape clean before next use, and warm the grill to kill any germs.

My girlfriend thought it would be a good idea to take off the grates and scrub them in scalding hot soapy water, because they were nasty. She went to cook on them and about died. I about fainted when when I saw them in the hot soapy water. It took weeks before I could cook, with out everything sticking to them, even if I oiled them. It took the seasoning out of them. I look at it alot like a cast iron skillet.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    My gold grille stays clean. I've got another one that I clean after wearing. If you're talking bbq grill, NEVER clean it...you're stripping the flavor.

CandRFan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Kokomo
    After firing it up I leave everything on high for a while and then just scrub the grates with a wire brush.

I think it's time to retire the 'ol girl though...she's starting to rust in spots and last season I was having a hard time getting the food out to the guests quickly for our larger parties. I'm sure if I put it out in front of the house with a "Free" sign on it that it'll disappear pretty quick.

Top Bottom