Poll- Would you use a surplus rifle for SHTF?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Would you use a surplus rifle for a SHTF/WROL scenario?

• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

dukeboy_318

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 22, 2010
    in la la land
    It may not be the primary weapon system, but a Mauser or Mosin have a longer range than an AK or AR(assuming 5.56) and can be picked up cheap, granted there are better guns out there, but If i were making a weapons cache and burying it along my BOL route, I'd want to put a 100 dollar rifle and 440 rounds of surplus ammo in that cache instead of a 1000 dollar AR

DadOfFour

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Does it go BOOM and send lead downrange to hit in the general vicinity of where I aimed it?
    Will that lead stop somebody from trying to harm me or mine?

If the answers to the two questions are yes, then I don't care what kind of gun it is, I'll use it. Hell, if it comes right down to it I'll use a slingshot or a stick if I have to!

handgun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2012
    Central part of This state
    Use what ever you have. If a mosin and 100 rounds of ammo is all i have guess what that is what i will be using.. i will just have to make each round count. And worth while and let nothing go to waste.

If that is what is in your budget then go that way. If you can afford a tricked out ar then go that route. I would.

A 10/22 is a good rifle and you could carry 1000's of rounds verses 500 of other cals. Why does it have to just be a rifle? Why not have a handgun rifle and shot gun etc..

easy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2010
    SEOK
    'Surplus' firearms of all types have been battle/combat proven for a long time. Why not?

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    One's definition of surplus can be a big issue, including whether or not you are considering new duplicates of military classics. At the end of the day, a flintlock Brown Bess or Charleville would be a damn sight better than a fist.

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    In reality, don't expect zombies staggering around. Your Ruger 10-22, or M/N 9130 are all killing tools. AR and AK can shoot some serious ammo, but you need to carry that much more as ready to go. Some bolt actions in 30/06 or 308 aren't shabby either.
    Learn them all and stock and shoot what you feel is adequate.
    A M/N 9130, 1911acp, and a Rem 870 would do the job and not hurt your wallet too bad. 22s are a lot cheaper to practice with, and fun to teach the wife and kids to shoot!

Hoosier.Patriot

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I voted "yes" because I plan to use my surplus rifle if the SHTF ... My Norinco SKS Paratrooper M uses the proven 7.62 x 39 mm round and it was manufactured by the chi-coms to accept AK 47 mags so it is, essentially, a "poor man's AK". It, currently, has a heavy wooden stock but I am replacing that with a light weight composite, tactical stock... should shave off 3-4 pounds. I'ts not a VEPR but it will get the job done inside 200 yards. I suppose I could get a Mosin Nagant for longer distances but I think that, if I get a bolt action, I'll just buy a used modern bolt action in a useful caliber. I know that I'll pay more for it than a Mosin but it's not the cost difference between an AR and my SKS

Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    Hoosier.pat... I've had 3 skss..all chicom ... 2 with ak mag setup. The one I kept has
    peep sights and a vietnam era fiberglass stock and a 16in barrel, don't hesitate to buy
    a lighter stock...

Tydeeh22

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    Indiana
    i wouldnt be going too far in saying i could make a trigger group for a 91/30 out of paperclips. bolt guns are by far more reliable than any semi-auto. (Ak's disputed)

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Brandonki
    Top Bottom