• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    Here's an interesting read about corrosion on a Glock and an alloy-framed Sig. Note, I'm not saying this WILL happen, nor do I have a thing against alloy-framed guns...I own a bunch of them, and carry one regularly.

The guns in this article were clearly neglected and stored improperly. That's not something I would ever willingly allow to happen to any firearm that I own, but sometimes things happen that are out of our control. An extended trip in the backcountry can expose a handgun to all kinds of stuff, or spending a lot of time near harsh chemicals or saltwater. Sweat will do it, too. Polymer fares better in those conditions.

In my own personal experience, I've had several guns rust during daily use and with regular maintenance. I have yet to blow one up, be it steel, alloy, or polymer-framed.

https://www.randomgunstuff.com/articles/how-do-you-store-your-guns
    This is again just proof that “people” can screw up perfectly good guns.

As far as the VS both are good guns and both have limitations like striker vs hammer revolver vs auto or caliber vs caliber

Some folks get to wrapped around the axels on what somebody else picks. Are they (or you) proficient to a high enough level with it in a realistic non John Wick drill is the more important thing to worry about!

JFriar96

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2019
    Greenwood
    Depends on the platform...
    Metal guns - 1911's or Beretta 92's
    Polymer guns - Glock or S&W Shield
    Mostly, it's what fits in my grip, is most comfortable, that I shoot well, and is reliable!
    We are all made different. What feels good to me, may not feel good to you. I get asked often what I would recommend to a new shooter. Same answer, I can recommend various brands, models, etc, but you need to go handle them. See what feels good to you. Then shoot them. Must feel and be comfortable with it.

JFriar96

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2019
    Greenwood
    Plastic is for credit cards. Aluminum is for beer cans. Steel and Wood is for guns.
    My vote is definitely for some heavy metal. After I was sold on CZs, this followed. Prior to this realization, I had a Glock preference. Not that they’re bad, i just massively prefer CZs over any polymer I’ve handled.

JFriar96

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2019
    Greenwood
    It really depends. I'm pretty much a 1911 guy, but I gotta say my Ruger SR22 is one of my favorites. Cheap to shoot, accurate, almost no recoil. Just a great fun gun. Having said that though, when its for serious business I'm taking a 1911 over my CZ or Glock. Probably just more used to it.
    I’ve only 2 1911s left, a Kimber UCII and a Springfield EMP 9. I greatly prefer my CZs over them. But that’s my preference. We all have our opinions of what feels good to us.

JFriar96

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2019
    Greenwood
    Here is the rub. Go look at an 80s or 90s chevy. Or more in particular, attempt to disassemble the plastic parts (like the dash, etc) on that car.. yeah. Your not dissembling any of that stuff. Plastic that used to be supple, will just SNAP... if you attempt to take anything in a car that old apart that is plastic, it will come out in snapped shards. (Any car Mechanic will know that I am talking about)

What happens to these wonder polymer pistols after decades?
    Old plastic gets BRITTLE..

Also the cold.. COLD PLASTIC GETS BRITTLE. look what happened to Mahome's wonder helmet in the freeze bowl..
    View attachment 330534
    I’m not keen on polymer myself. Not only for safety concerns, but I prefer the feel of a heavy metal shooter that also keeps felt recoil down.

JFriar96

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2019
    Greenwood
    Found this pic online. Dude blew up a Super Blackhawk. That takes some effort! It doesn't matter how strong you build a gun, or what you make it out of, somebody out there will inevitably do something dumb enough to dynamically disassemble it.

revboom1903.jpg
    Wow! I’d like to know what kind of loads they were running when this happened! Hopefully whoever it happened to is ok.

JFriar96

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2019
    Greenwood
    Most of the time I have a Sig P365xl on my hip but lately I have been carrying a CZ Rami. It is a chunky monkey but carries quite nicely with an IWB holster.
    I’ve had several Rami’s. Excellent piece. I carry the P01. It just fits my hands so much better.

Scott58

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2022
    NW indiana
    I’ve only 2 1911s left, a Kimber UCII and a Springfield EMP 9. I greatly prefer my CZs over them. But that’s my preference. We all have our opinions of what feels good to us.
    Can I ask which you prefer. The Kimber or the Springfield? I certainly get why you like the CZ, my P10c is excellent. Its just a 1911 is like wearing a comfortable pair of shoes every time I pick one up. I'm leaning towards Kimber.

JFriar96

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2019
    Greenwood
    Lulz. Are we pretending that double charges, etc. are because of "old plastic" or that metal guns survive it?

image00002-jpg.305986

Woopsie.

Anyway, I own and use both with no strong preference.
    I bet Springfield wouldn’t like seeing this picture! Wow! All guns are susceptible for failure with improper use. I prefer the heavy metal myself.

JFriar96

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2019
    Greenwood
    Can I ask which you prefer. The Kimber or the Springfield? I certainly get why you like the CZ, my P10c is excellent. Its just a 1911 is like wearing a comfortable pair of shoes every time I pick one up. I'm leaning towards Kimber.
    Hard to compare the 2! The Kimber is .45, and the EMP is 9mm. But if I had to choose, I’d go with the Kimber.

JFriar96

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2019
    Greenwood
    There's something special about holding a metal weapon for me. I'd love to see the all metal 2 tone Jericho 941's make a comeback. The metal is less practical for all day carry, but I've never minded that as much as everyone else seems too. I sometimes just see how much I can carry without printing in the winter for a lark. Turns out the 629 stealth hunter is doable, but makes it awkward to sit down anywhere iwb carry. Definitely going to do another long slide 1911 in 10mm before long and I always loved carrying those.
    All that said, polymer isn't bad and I shoot both adequately enough to not really see a measurable difference when all factors are considered.
    Metal for me, but I carry polymer more often than not, mostly from not buying molded holsters for them.
    I carry a CZ P01. I can’t hardly feel it anymore unless it grabs some skin! Lol the weight is not bad once used to it. I have a hybrid holster which has a leather back and Kydex front mold. Love it! Very comfortable

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    I prefer both.

For slow bullseye style shooting, I much prefer the characteristics of an all metal handgun. For every Day Carry or for fast transition work between targets, I much prefer polymer. My speed between targets is always better with a light polymer-framed gun.

Basher

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 3, 2022
    Lafayette
    Not to bag on BigMoose too bad but the irony of highlighting the different types and qualities of various metals and then failing to do so for polymers was not lost on me lol. As already noted, dashboard plastic from the 80’s is vastly different from the polymers used in poly guns like the Glock, even when comparing Gen1 models from the 80s.

For me, both. I dearly love my 92s and my 1911, but I also really like my poly pistols as well. If I’m saving weight or beating the heck out of it, give me polymer. If I want shooting comfort, it’s steel all day. And as already addressed, modern alloy frames often give the best of both worlds. Hard to go wrong w/ any today. :)

JFriar96

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2019
    Greenwood
    I prefer both.

For slow bullseye style shooting, I much prefer the characteristics of an all metal handgun. For every Day Carry or for fast transition work between targets, I much prefer polymer. My speed between targets is always better with a light polymer-framed gun.
    Well stated! I can see your viewpoint. I certainly want my range guns to be heavy metal DA optional!

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Not to bag on BigMoose too bad but the irony of highlighting the different types and qualities of various metals and then failing to do so for polymers was not lost on me lol. As already noted, dashboard plastic from the 80’s is vastly different from the polymers used in poly guns like the Glock, even when comparing Gen1 models from the 80s.

For me, both. I dearly love my 92s and my 1911, but I also really like my poly pistols as well. If I’m saving weight or beating the heck out of it, give me polymer. If I want shooting comfort, it’s steel all day. And as already addressed, modern alloy frames often give the best of both worlds. Hard to go wrong w/ any today. :)
    Its all grades of bad plastics...

From Keltec's recycled beach plastic.. to glock polymer.

Though I have to admit.. whoever came up with the idea of the fire control group being the serialized part kinda missed the boat. Why not have a metal frame option for these guns.

Basher

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 3, 2022
    Lafayette
    Its all grades of bad plastics...

From Keltec's recycled beach plastic.. to glock polymer.

Though I have to admit.. whoever came up with the idea of the fire control group being the serialized part kinda missed the boat. Why not have a metal frame option for these guns.

LOL, then we’ll have to agree to disagree. Cheap nylon is not the same as a specialized glass fiber poly, etc. Some plastics are made for the long-haul, but 80s dashboard plastics are not among them lol.

As for metal frame options, they’re out there. Several exist for the P320 now.

Top Bottom