• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AGarbers

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Martinsville
    I have been reading Jim Roy's Real World Whitetail Behavior. In it he claims that the scent we buy in bottles spooks the mature bucks, as does deer calls and rattling. After years of using scents and calls with nothing to show for it, I wonder if he is correct. If you remember, last year I made a successful mock scrape and had a buck make a challenge scape ten feet away, but I never saw a buck.
    I am curious how many on this forum feel that scents or calls helped them harvest a bigger than average buck. Any evidence proving your point would be great. Covering yourself with doe urine and having a 160" buck climb into the blind with you would be great evidence, provided you had photos.;)

JNG

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    In 2007, I had a six come to a Buck Bomb I set off. He's up on the wall beside me.

One morning in 2009, I got into the field late, well after sunrise. To minimze my noise, instead of climbing a tree, I set up a Tinks lure and sat on the ground upwind behind a fallen tree about 40 yards away. Around midday, a 150-class buck came out of the downwind creek bed and made a beeline for that lure. He was so intent on it he didn't even know I was there. He's up on the wall, too.

Of course, I can't answer whether I've spooked any bucks by using scents. Maybe. Heck, probably. But I do know that if you're careful, and don't overuse them, don't get busted while using them, get the wind right, and always pack your scents out of the field when you leave, you can get a response.

Jacobm

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2011
    Newton County
    I've never been a fan of the scent stuff. In certain situations I would walk through the feed lot for cover scent where cattle had run of the woodlot.

My wife uses some of the commercial scents and claims she has never had a negative reaction. Then again, she has never taken an older buck but I'm not drawing a conclusion on just that.

Rattling and calls are a different story. It took me a long time to develop faith in rattling but results came when used in my best spots at prime time.

I don't go to the woods without antlers and a call. I don't always use them but they are in the tool bag if needed.

I did learn not to rattle too late in the evening by having upset bucks come charging in and hang around for too long. Had to sit way too long in the dark for them to leave.

In other instances I wouldn't have taken mature bucks without redirecting them with a call. Two years ago I watched and worked one for 45 minutes before taking him.

I'm no expert but I hope this was some input you were looking for.

I hope this doesn't upset anyone but a long time ago a pretty successful deer hunter told me " The only scents you need in the woods is COMMON". True or not, it's stuck with me a long time.

Good Luck.

shooter1054

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    South Indianapolis
    In 2009 I got my first buck. A 140" 163lb. 10 point. There was a scrape and rub on a trail. On Sunday, I put some Tinks Powerscrape in the scrape. On Wednesday, I came back to it and a new scrape was there,as were about 4-5 new rubs. Also a bush was destroyed. About 10:15 he came in on a beeline towards the scrape....he didn't make it.

windingwinds

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2011
    Miami County, Indiana
    I spooked a nice buck Oct 6th with a grunt call........when I was trying to get him to cross the fence. Now you could say that it was too early in the season, or that he would've stayed in the corn anyways, but the end result is he trotted off AWAY from me. :-( I used it just like the "pros" however I am leary that maybe that pro was in a high fence area.
    I have really cut down on the calling, and just been watching....
    we did have a small response to a doe can from primos around Oct. 13, but they never did get close enough to see, just heard deer them moving and when we left woods found tracks of two deer.
    I think if you don't have the touch or whatever you want to call it, just don't overdo the calls.
    The scents do not seem to bother the deer here, I treated a scrape with dominant buck urine and the buck came back and tore it up some more. Haven't tried the doe urine yet this season. Haven't tried antlers either.

LionWeight

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 17, 2011
    Merrillville
    Tried the buck pee for a couple years and didn't get any more traffic. I switched to doe in heat and that did wonders for the traffic through the area. Was drawing down on the biggest dear I had seen to date in that area, he had at least 12 points, when my nephew decided to go in for lunch and run him off. :xmad: Still don't let him forget that one. He was standing behind a 4" tree and was just waiting for him to take one more step. His head was in the air and he was sniffing right to the lure. Still get heartburn over that.

Mike H

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Vincennes
    I have rattled in several bucks, the biggest being a 152" 8 point that I bow killed.
    I never leave home in Nov. without a can call and a grunt tube.
    I have had a little success with making fake scrapes,[got one out now] and using scents. I think its about timing and having a big buck in your area.
    I always carefull about where my scent stream is going.
    So these things can help, but they are will not cover up sloppy hunting.

Stubbleducker

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 19, 2009
    Indy
    I would think human urine would work better than bottled deer urine.

Can't tell you the number of times I've been hunting and put down the bow/shotgun/howitzer/etc to answer nature's call and immediately see game. Maybe it's the sound of a zipper that attracts them?:n00b:

ELMO

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Kokomo, Indiana
    I have used deer scents quite often, mainly to cover my scent and to try and attract deer. The only real visual of deer coming to me have all been young deer. Probably a half dozen times, they followed my scent trail I laid down right to me. I had the scent on my boots or a drag line during those times. The scents will make deer stop at a certain place to sniff it and then you could possibly make your shot at that time. It is fun to just watch deer reactions to scents and I continue to use them....

rkesar

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 11, 2009
    new whiteland
    I use scents and calls every year. Last year I made a mock scrape about 20 yards from a real one and a few days later that area was tore up. The buck made a few more scrapes and tore up about a half dozen trees. I was set up on november 15th close to these scrapes and as the sun came up I decided to rattle and when I did I just saw a rack appear about 80 yards away in the brush. It was looking my way and the wind was perfect. He started to turn around and go the other way so I grabbed my call and did a wheeze and he literally came running in looking everywhere. He stopped about 20 yards away and now he's on my wall. I believe these things work but the timing has to be right and they may be getting used too much or not enough.

picture.php

rhart

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2009
    Avon
    I have tried many, many scents over the years. For over 15 years worked in hunting at Galyans and got all kinds of free stuff. I have also been very fortunate to have taken several very nice bucks over the years.
    That being said, my main srategy in NO scent from me and my gear. I have seen YOUNG bucks come to doe in heat. I have seen mature bucks spook from it.
    I only grunt to stop a deer ( for a shot) or try to turn in as a "punt" move.
    I have tried rattling countless times and have seen it work although very rare. Timing is everything.
    I have also seen deer spoke on trhe territory scent as well as skunk and fox cobver up.
    Deer are curious and sometimes I think they would come in for any odd scent such as peanut butter.

cschwanz

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Have never had much success (that i know of directly) with scents but i use them anyway. I have had great success with rattling and calling. Biggest buck I've shot (11-pointer about 4-5 years ago) was coming across a field and I turned him on a dime with 2 grunts and he came trotting right up the field at me. when we got to him, he had been beaten up pretty bad in a recent fight and we think he was looking for revenge when he heard my grunts. I've gotten the attention of a lot of bucks with rattling and had a few look around for the fight, but never been able to bring one in directly from rattling.

Aaronhome27

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Kendallville
    I have some success with scents. I switched to buying stuff from deer farms and it makes all the difference in the world. I shot my largest buck to date using fresh doe pee. The stuff I get has no preserveatives and only last a couple weeks in the refrigerator. I have rattled bucks in in the past with no problem though. But for scent I have tried everything and found that the real stuff cant be beat and I have seen more mature bucks since switching to it. I get the pee they get an hour before breeding the does so it is premium stuff. I get it cheap too since it comes right from the farm. If you are interested I can give you the number to the farmer so you can get some if you like. I will swear by it. He is in the Fort Wayne area so you would have to figure out logistics to get it though. I tried to get a group buy going but there was not much interest. Trust me it is well worth it!!

IMAG0030.jpg

I shot this buck 3 years ago using it. He was 30 yards down wind from me. I am not selling his stuff just sharing the info. I will swear by it.

Heck here is his number if you want some.
    Ernie
    260-602-4016

Last edited:

AGarbers

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Martinsville
    I have some success with scents. I switched to buying stuff from deer farms and it makes all the difference in the world. I shot my largest buck to date using fresh doe pee. The stuff I get has no preserveatives and only last a couple weeks in the refrigerator. I have rattled bucks in in the past with no problem though. But for scent I have tried everything and found that the real stuff cant be beat and I have seen more mature bucks since switching to it. I get the pee they get an hour before breeding the does so it is premium stuff. I get it cheap too since it comes right from the farm. If you are interested I can give you the number to the farmer so you can get some if you like. I will swear by it. He is in the Fort Wayne area so you would have to figure out logistics to get it though. I tried to get a group buy going but there was not much interest. Trust me it is well worth it!!

IMAG0030.jpg

I shot this buck 3 years ago using it. He was 30 yards down wind from me. I am not selling his stuff just sharing the info. I will swear by it.

Heck here is his number if you want some.
    Ernie
    260-602-4016

I think there's something in the water up around your neck of the woods. I see a lot of big bucks from up there.

Aaronhome27

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Kendallville
    Lol, there are some that dont like it but the OBR has really started showing that it does work. Over the last few years a lot more mature buck have been taken. I know a lot of hunters no longer just shoot the first buck they see knowing there are bigger more mature bucks around now. With that said, I have passed countless bucks over the last two years while waiting for a big mature buck. Two years and I havent filled a buck tag either. I can fill the freezer with does so I trophy hunt for bucks. I know a lot of others follow the same theory as I do. It has really changed the age structure in the areas I hunt up this way. Best of luck to you and safe hunting!

M4Madness

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Springville
    Not once has estrous doe scent worked for me -- EVER. Think about it. If the buck is downwind of the scent, he's downwind of you as well, unless you were lucky enough to put the scent perpendicular to your location.

I've killed one buck that I can attribute to a grunt call. One. The rest just stopped briefly, then kept on walking to their predetermined destination. I have rattled at the "right" time of year, at the "right" time of day, in the "right" areas, and have zilch to show for it.

I've found that for me, it's best just to remain quiet and totally scent-free. :)

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Seyboldbryan
    Top Bottom