• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dleak

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 16, 2013
    floyd county
    forgive me if this subject has previously been covered . like apparently everybody else , i have been assembling a project rifle . was shooting for a relatively light carbine this time . all is going as planned , and my intent was to pick up last few missing pieces at the 1500 last weekend. wanted a magpul fixed carbine stock , couldnt seem to find 1 so I ended up taking an MOE ... seemed OK , but when installed on mil spec buffer tube ( yes 1.150 per calipers) there seems to be way too much play between stock & buffer tube :( i applied 1 layer of masking tape & that seemed to take out most of the slop ... i know masking tape is only a temporary solution as it will not withstand any elements ... any ideas for a more permanent fix ?.... in advance thank you all

dleak

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 16, 2013
    floyd county
    imagejpeg

dleak

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 16, 2013
    floyd county
    i put calipers on buffer tube (1.150") ... the box on the MOE claimed mil spec ... ACS-L on other rifle is just fine , excellent fit . but, it has the second locking lever to remove slop .......

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Couple strips of electrical tape on the top of the extension might tighten things up a bit. I've had to do it once or twice

The MOE stock, does it go from buttstock to buttplate or is there a spacer between the stock and the plate?

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    i put calipers on buffer tube (1.150") ... the box on the MOE claimed mil spec ... ACS-L on other rifle is just fine , excellent fit . but, it has the second locking lever to remove slop .......

Try the MOE on the other rifle if it also has a Mil Spec tube. This should tell you if your stock is the problem or the tube.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    MOE wobbles a good bit. CTR wobbles a little bit (wobbles less than a MOE because of the locking lever). MOE fixed carbine is like a brick **** house and doesn't move at all.

I'm doing MOE Fixed Carbine stocks from now on. They're excellent, and a hell of a good deal monetarily. LOP is exactly where I set my extendable stocks anyway. I highly suggest at least checking them out.

index.jpg

dleak

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 16, 2013
    floyd county
    INGO always proves that im not quite as dumb as i think :) i was gonna try the acs-l from my other rifle to verify which part is the problem , hadnt got that far yet .... moe fixed stock waa my first choice but couldnt find 1 when i was buying :( electrical tape should work though , wss afraid of duct tape thinking it would get gummy after time .... thanks again guys :)

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    They're less than $30 and readily available online.

INGO always proves that im not quite as dumb as i think :) i was gonna try the acs-l from my other rifle to verify which part is the problem , hadnt got that far yet .... moe fixed stock waa my first choice but couldnt find 1 when i was buying :( electrical tape should work though , wss afraid of duct tape thinking it would get gummy after time .... thanks again guys :)

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013

Electrical Tape is not designed to fill gaps and take the pressure of being threaded together. It will constantly leak out and if its cheap tape it will also become sticky over time.
    Stop at your neighborhood hardware store and buy a 79 cent.roll of Teflon pipe tape, it will last a lifetime, it will not get sticky, its designed to stay in the threads and not leak out. And it's alot cheaper than a roll of quality tape.

HamsterStyle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Carthage
    Electrical Tape is not designed to fill gaps and take the pressure of being threaded together. It will constantly leak out and if its cheap tape it will also become sticky over time.
    Stop at your neighborhood hardware store and buy a 79 cent.roll of Teflon pipe tape, it will last a lifetime, it will not get sticky, its designed to stay in the threads and not leak out. And it's alot cheaper than a roll of quality tape.

If I'm reading this correctly, he isn't having problems with the threading. He is having "excess" wobble of the stock on the tube. He would be applying the tape to the actual tube, not the threads.

And has been mentioned up thread, the MOE stock wobbles a bit. Doesn't affect anything function wise, it's just annoying. The CTR will help remove most if not all of the slop. Good luck.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    If I'm reading this correctly, he isn't having problems with the threading. He is having "excess" wobble of the stock on the tube. He would be applying the tape to the actual tube, not the threads.

And has been mentioned up thread, the MOE stock wobbles a bit. Doesn't affect anything function wise, it's just annoying. The CTR will help remove most if not all of the slop. Good luck.

Clearly you are correct, ignore anything I have posted ..... In this thread.

Thanks....

Top Bottom