• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    My knee jerk, shortest answer to your question is simply no, punishment is not a precursor for forgiveness for this is forcing God to react to my action.

The draw of orthodoxy was two fold. There can be only one truth and one true church, that leaves Catholicism and Orthodoxy. No other church makes that claim. Invisible Church theology is unconvincing and unbiblical. That is the easiest one.

I wouldn't say being left to personal opinion was the draw for this shades towards individualism which I maintain is antithetical to Christianity, but this could be somewhat subjective. I would say, don't become divisive with others until it is necessary to do so with one's dogma, because it is in communion with others we find salvation. This is why I don't understand or accept at this present time those who would say our differences are inconsequential because if they are, the Church would not be separated. This is aimed at the relation between Protestant groups also not just Catholic - Orthodox. Perhaps more importantly, for myself, you and others in our culture. Don't be afraid of dwelling in Paradoxy and Mystery for that is Where God "is" and where He is encountered. If we humanly define God, paradoxically, He is no longer God. Orthodoxy holds a relational view of salvation that is unlike anything in Western Christianity. The closest parallel is the Charismatic movement, I would believe.

God created us with 5 senses, sight, hearing, smell, touch, taste, all to be used in worshipping Him. I believe that we are to encounter God with all five senses. I further believe worship thusly done is true biblical worship. This can be found in throughout the OT, Hebrews, and Revelation. I would maintain that the biblical worship described is preserved most fully in the Orthodox Church.

I commend Catholics for still embracing this, but for the Protestant, their Christianity is all "in the head". I would say that too is because of their Catholic roots as a result of a scholastic approach to Theology.

As an example. Did you know that some of the Church Fathers, and you can find this in theological writings to this day addressing a hypothetical situation.....

IF Adam would never have sinned Christ would still have become incarnate to unite humanity to divinity in an elevation of communion in fulfillment of the high priestly prayer that we all 'may be one'? I can't imagine hearing a Protestant uttering such words or thinking such thoughts.

Hopefully, your battery can be resurrected within 40 days. :) (A little Ash Wednesday humor.)

Before you go too deep into the thesis/antithesis part, I get the procedural situation.

My evolving sense of it, and this might be what drew you to Orthodoxy (or part of it), is that within the overall framework, more is left to personal opinion. Orthodoxy rejected "fire" because it wasn't necessary to the core belief. If someone believes fire is involved, that's fine, but it isn't doctrinal.

I guess my question is, then, more specific. As an issue of dogma, is punishment a precursor for forgiveness? And yes, I can sense my Protestant brethren preparing a retort along the lines of Christ's sacrifice on the cross was sufficient punishment for all of our sins that we either chose or were predestined to commit. ;)

I would only say that often the most effective punishment is self-imposed. I am truly sorry for my transgression, so I want to make it up to you/Him. In the salvation sense, it simply means that there is some downside to sin, a consequence to actions that are counter to God's will.

historian

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    SD by residency, Hoosier by heart
    If God does not change
    If People experience the wrath of God
    If People experience the punishment of God
    If People experience the love of God

Then it must be the People's experience of God that is changing.

If it is experience of the People that is changing
    If God is love
    Then it is the experience of God's love by the People that changes.

God does not change
    God hates sin
    Sin separates us from God
    Sin must be punished by death (wages and all that)
    God does not want any to perish
    God is love
    God's love sent His Son
    His Son took the punishment for those who believe in Him
    Those that Believe have fellowship Through Jesus
    Positionally, we have have changed, God has not.

Like I said, I think we tend to talk past each other because we see things from differing perspectives.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Why is death punishment? Is it biblical that death is a punishment? It is biblical that is is the wages of sin. But is death as a punishment biblically supported?

Is it sin that separates us from God or is it we who separate ourselves from God by sinning? How is this answer biblically supported?

I am not trying to make you work! I am genuinely curious for your doctrine is unknown to me and I am trying to do as the Bereans do and operate from Scripture alone because I know that is your paradigm.

God does not change
    God hates sin
    Sin separates us from God
    Sin must be punished by death (wages and all that)
    God does not want any to perish
    God is love
    God's love sent His Son
    His Son took the punishment for those who believe in Him
    Those that Believe have fellowship Through Jesus
    Positionally, we have have changed, God has not.

Like I said, I think we tend to talk past each other because we see things from differing perspectives.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    foszoe,

Do you think the three persons of the Trinity are not in accord? (On the subject of wrath, or anything else)

Do you think God changes?

If God has a trait, does he not have it forever?

Do you think Jesus broke a law?

Do you think Jesus had no wrath?

I asked a question. You said God was eternally wrathful and used Psalm 7:11 as a proof text. I am asserting that your proof text made no reference to God being eternally wrathful, requested you to revisit the text in question, either agree or disaagree with me and say why. Then I requested other scriptural texts in lieu of doing this.

I didn't expect this needed to be proven out. There are more than 200 references to wrath in the bible. God emphatically tells us that He does not change His mind; He is immutable, unchanging, forever.

God does not change:

• Mal 3:6 "For I the LORD do not change; therefore you, O children of Jacob, are not consumed.
    • Num 23:19 God is not man, that he should lie, or a son of man, that he should change his mind. Has he said, and will he not do it? Or has he spoken, and will he not fulfill it?
    • 1Sa 15:29 And also the Glory of Israel will not lie or have regret, for he is not a man, that he should have regret."
    • Ecc 3:14 I perceived that whatever God does endures forever; nothing can be added to it, nor anything taken from it. God has done it, so that people fear before him.
    • Heb 13:8 Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever.
    • Jas 1:17 Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

And out of the hundreds of references to wrath and anger and judgement and hell, a lot of them indicate that they proceed forever (just like every one of God's eternal characteristics).

• 1Ch 28:9 "And you, Solomon my son, know the God of your father and serve him with a whole heart and with a willing mind, for the LORD searches all hearts and understands every plan and thought. If you seek him, he will be found by you, but if you forsake him, he will cast you off forever.
    • Isa 57:21 There is no peace," says my God, "for the wicked."
    • Jer 17:4 You shall loosen your hand from your heritage that I gave to you, and I will make you serve your enemies in a land that you do not know, for in my anger a fire is kindled that shall burn forever."
    • Mal 1:4 If Edom says, "We are shattered but we will rebuild the ruins," the LORD of hosts says, "They may build, but I will tear down, and they will be called 'the wicked country,' and 'the people with whom the LORD is angry forever.'"
    • Mat_3:12 His winnowing fork is in his hand, and he will clear his threshing floor and gather his wheat into the barn, but the chaff he will burn with unquenchable fire."
    • Mat_18:8 And if your hand or your foot causes you to sin, cut it off and throw it away. It is better for you to enter life crippled or lame than with two hands or two feet to be thrown into the eternal fire.
    • Mat_25:41 "Then he will say to those on his left, 'Depart from me, you cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels.
    • Mar_9:43 And if your hand causes you to sin, cut it off. It is better for you to enter life crippled than with two hands to go to hell, to the unquenchable fire.
    • Mar 9:48 'where their worm does not die and the fire is not quenched.'
    • Luk_3:17 His winnowing fork is in his hand, to clear his threshing floor and to gather the wheat into his barn, but the chaff he will burn with unquenchable fire."
    • 2Th_1:9 They will suffer the punishment of eternal destruction, away from the presence of the Lord and from the glory of his might,
      Jud_1:6 And the angels who did not stay within their own position of authority, but left their proper dwelling, he has kept in eternal chains under gloomy darkness until the judgment of the great day—
      Jud_1:7 just as Sodom and Gomorrah and the surrounding cities, which likewise indulged in sexual immorality and pursued unnatural desire, serve as an example by undergoing a punishment of eternal fire.
    • Rev 14:9-11 And another angel, a third, followed them, saying with a loud voice, "If anyone worships the beast and its image and receives a mark on his forehead or on his hand, he also will drink the wine of God's wrath, poured full strength into the cup of his anger, and he will be tormented with fire and sulfur in the presence of the holy angels and in the presence of the Lamb. And the smoke of their torment goes up forever and ever, and they have no rest, day or night, these worshipers of the beast and its image, and whoever receives the mark of its name."
    • Rev 19:3 Once more they cried out, "Hallelujah! The smoke from her goes up forever and ever."
    • Rev 20:10 and the devil who had deceived them was thrown into the lake of fire and sulfur where the beast and the false prophet were, and they will be tormented day and night forever and ever.

The Revelation readings are quite extensive and require more time than available right now, but I will look at them.

You will definitely want to do a thorough study of the Book of Revelation if you want to get a complete picture of Jesus. He is the executor of God's wrath. All the wrath pours out because of Jesus breaking the seals.

Read Jesus's own words in the letters written to the churches in Rev 2-3. Jesus tells the Laodicean church He is going to "vomit them out" because they are lukewarm (Rev. 3:15). Read about the vengeance of Jesus Christ as He commits a false prophetess to a sickbed and kills her children (Rev. 2:20-23).

And that is just the beginning. The whole world is going to perish.

I read Luke 21:23, and saw the word "wrath". I didn't see an indication that this was the wrath of Jesus or a divine wrath in the text itself. Why do you reach this conclusion? I see it in the context of a passage regarding the destruction of Jerusalem which happened in AD 70??

The wrath that Jesus refers to is His own because Revelation makes it clear that He is the one who executes it.

I do not believe Luke Chapter 21 can be referring to a city being sacked in 70AD. There may be some foreshadowing aspects that related to that event (as we frequently see in the bible) but the overall text looks very much like the events of the tribulation and judgement. We see false christs (v.8), world war (v.9-10), earthquakes (v.11), famines (v.11), pestilence (v.11), terrors and great signs from heaven (v.11), signs in the sun and moon and starts (v.25), upheaval of the seas (v.25), powers of heaven shaken (v.26), the Son of Man coming in a cloud (v.27).

I do not believe all those things happened when Jerusalem was sacked. All these events have parallels in Revelation related to future events at the end of the age. Jesus Himself said that these were signs that the Kingdom of God is near (v.31).

So it is the perogative of the 2nd person of the trinity to delay the execution of the wrath of God? I don't see that in 9:27. I do see it as speaking of Christ sacrifice reconciling God and man, but I don't see the word wrath in the passage. I would be interested in how you scripturally support this interpretation of the passage.

The wrath of God is executed at a time according to God's own will. Jesus, in His first coming, did not appear to execute wrath, because it was not God's will at that time. His mission at that time was to reconcile God and man. You'll have to incorporate Revelation into your understanding of Jesus to know why I say He is in perfect accord with the wrath of God.

I'm losing track over why we are arguing about this. Please refer to questions at the top. :)

My question to you is, how do you interpret God's wrath? I am most interested in how you differentiate it from human wrath? Specifically, how is your interpretation of God's wrath avoiding the anthropomorphizing of God.

I'm not sure what can be said about it. God's wrath is terrifying, and it is supposed to be. But God has not destined us [Christians] for wrath (1Thes 5:9).

Wrath is not for humans to emulate, it is God's alone. Like vengeance, accepting worship, godly jealousy, and certain other characteristics that only belong to Almighty God.

How did Jesus keep the law by touching those with leprosy or not stoning the adulterous woman or other examples which you may wish to cite?

The law was established so that grace could abound (Romans 5:20). Jesus showed grace. It was not illegal to be merciful. His actions were the fulfillment of the law.

• Mat 5:17 "Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them.
    • Mat 22:37-39 And he said to him, "You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. This is the great and first commandment. And a second is like it: You shall love your neighbor as yourself.
    • Gal 5:14 For the whole law is fulfilled in one word: "You shall love your neighbor as yourself."

Why is death punishment? Is it biblical that death is a punishment? It is biblical that is is the wages of sin. But is death as a punishment biblically supported?

“The soul that sins shall die.” (Ezekiel 18:4)
    “The soul that sins shall die.” (Ezekiel 18:20)
    “For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.” (Romans 6:23)

Last edited:

historian

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009

Is it sin that separates us from God or is it we who separate ourselves from God by sinning? How is this answer biblically supported?

I am not trying to make you work! I am genuinely curious for your doctrine is unknown to me and I am trying to do as the Bereans do and operate from Scripture alone because I know that is your paradigm.

We know that the wages of sin is death. That is Biblically supported. Sin brings death
    Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned

We also know from many places that God hates sin.
    We are separated from God because we sin and because of our sin. Either or works for that question as referenced by the passage above. Chicken and Egg would be that sin separates us if we use Genesis 2-3, as Adam and Eve were innocent and did not know what sin was. The tree was of the Knowledge of Good and Evil, so they didn't know what was or was not sin. Once they knew better, they were punished accordingly. However, they were the only ones given the choice, the rest of us were "Born in iniquity" and didn't have the choice.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Thanks for your reply.

I think of death more as a mercy than a punishment so that was the reason for the question.

I think, in general, I am looking for more preciseness in language, yet without getting into quibbling.

I think I can understand what you mean by saying 'we are separated' in one sense, but this separation also doesn't make sense because God is everywhere present and filling all things so this separation has to be understood in a certain manner. So how is this separation to be understood in Protestant Thought?

As a child I was taught Hell was an eternal separation from God, a place where God is "not", which seemed ok until at a later time, I had to reconcile that with God is everywhere present and fills all things.

If you think I am into 'quibbling' territory then I understand not wanting to discuss further.

We know that the wages of sin is death. That is Biblically supported. Sin brings death .

We also know from many places that God hates sin.
    We are separated from God because we sin and because of our sin. Either or works for that question as referenced by the passage above. Chicken and Egg would be that sin separates us if we use Genesis 2-3, as Adam and Eve were innocent and did not know what sin was. The tree was of the Knowledge of Good and Evil, so they didn't know what was or was not sin. Once they knew better, they were punished accordingly. However, they were the only ones given the choice, the rest of us were "Born in iniquity" and didn't have the choice.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    My knee jerk, shortest answer to your question is simply no, punishment is not a precursor for forgiveness for this is forcing God to react to my action.

I can see how that might come across, but I think that's a burnt-bridge too far. :) I see it more as expectation. As rambone notes (I think), we should expect wrath for sin. God has reserved the right to be merciful, but our expectation should be punishment.

We cannot (or at least should not try to) bind God. Rather, for me, scripture is better harmonized by setting our expectations of what God will do/has done, while He can still do whatever He wants.

Job was pious. He was tested, but remained faithful. He didn't necessarily deserve what happened to him, but God's path for him was different than what he expected.

BTW, another BBC article on the pope-patriarch meeting. This one has some more historical references.
    Pope and Russian patriarch edge towards warmer relations - BBC News

The conclusion made me lol a little.
    The Orthodox Churches share with the other Christian Churches the belief that God revealed himself in Jesus Christ, and a belief in the incarnation of Christ, his crucifixion and resurrection.
    But they differ substantially from the other Churches in the way of life and worship, and in certain aspects of theology.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    We know that the wages of sin is death. That is Biblically supported. Sin brings death .
    I believe Catholic teaching on that is the "death" is eternal death - Hell.

Death, for believers, is not punishment. It is a transition to eternal life - Heaven. Hopefully. :)

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I believe Catholic teaching on that is the "death" is eternal death - Hell.

Death, for believers, is not punishment. It is a transition to eternal life - Heaven. Hopefully. :)

:yesway:

I was also seeing two different questions with two different answers being blended together.

historian

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    I think I can understand what you mean by saying 'we are separated' in one sense, but this separation also doesn't make sense because God is everywhere present and filling all things so this separation has to be understood in a certain manner. So how is this separation to be understood in Protestant Thought?

As a child I was taught Hell was an eternal separation from God, a place where God is "not", which seemed ok until at a later time, I had to reconcile that with God is everywhere present and fills all things.

I think of eternal separation of where God chooses not to be. God can restrict Himself if He chooses. He built a place for the fallen angels where He is not. He sends those who choose to not believe in Him to that place as well. Eternal separation is the ultimate punishment. Death is the earthly penalty, separation and torment is the eternal penalty for rejecting the message of God.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Just to make a general statement, You see the word wrath/anger where it is not in the text and attribute the word "wrath" to God when the text does not say so in the scriptures which you cite.

What concerns me the most in this post though is your view we are arguing. That for me has a negative connotation for it implies persuasion and not discussion for understanding.

I do not want to argue with you so I will abstain from answering this post directly for now. I do plan to put out there an alternative view of how to understand God's wrath, that also scripturally supported but is very different from the western version and leave it up to the readers if there is anything of value in it. That will take considerable time and effort.

foszoe,

Do you think the three persons of the Trinity are not in accord? (On the subject of wrath, or anything else)

Do you think God changes?

If God has a trait, does he not have it forever?

Do you think Jesus broke a law?

Do you think Jesus had no wrath?

I didn't expect this needed to be proven out. There are more than 200 references to wrath in the bible. God emphatically tells us that He does not change His mind; He is immutable, unchanging, forever.

God does not change:

• Mal 3:6 "For I the LORD do not change; therefore you, O children of Jacob, are not consumed.
    • Num 23:19 God is not man, that he should lie, or a son of man, that he should change his mind. Has he said, and will he not do it? Or has he spoken, and will he not fulfill it?
    • 1Sa 15:29 And also the Glory of Israel will not lie or have regret, for he is not a man, that he should have regret."
    • Ecc 3:14 I perceived that whatever God does endures forever; nothing can be added to it, nor anything taken from it. God has done it, so that people fear before him.
    • Heb 13:8 Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever.
    • Jas 1:17 Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

And out of the hundreds of references to wrath and anger and judgement and hell, a lot of them indicate that they proceed forever (just like every one of God's eternal characteristics).

• 1Ch 28:9 "And you, Solomon my son, know the God of your father and serve him with a whole heart and with a willing mind, for the LORD searches all hearts and understands every plan and thought. If you seek him, he will be found by you, but if you forsake him, he will cast you off forever.
    • Isa 57:21 There is no peace," says my God, "for the wicked."
    • Jer 17:4 You shall loosen your hand from your heritage that I gave to you, and I will make you serve your enemies in a land that you do not know, for in my anger a fire is kindled that shall burn forever."
    • Mal 1:4 If Edom says, "We are shattered but we will rebuild the ruins," the LORD of hosts says, "They may build, but I will tear down, and they will be called 'the wicked country,' and 'the people with whom the LORD is angry forever.'"
    • Mat_3:12 His winnowing fork is in his hand, and he will clear his threshing floor and gather his wheat into the barn, but the chaff he will burn with unquenchable fire."
    • Mat_18:8 And if your hand or your foot causes you to sin, cut it off and throw it away. It is better for you to enter life crippled or lame than with two hands or two feet to be thrown into the eternal fire.
    • Mat_25:41 "Then he will say to those on his left, 'Depart from me, you cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels.
    • Mar_9:43 And if your hand causes you to sin, cut it off. It is better for you to enter life crippled than with two hands to go to hell, to the unquenchable fire.
    • Mar 9:48 'where their worm does not die and the fire is not quenched.'
    • Luk_3:17 His winnowing fork is in his hand, to clear his threshing floor and to gather the wheat into his barn, but the chaff he will burn with unquenchable fire."
    • 2Th_1:9 They will suffer the punishment of eternal destruction, away from the presence of the Lord and from the glory of his might,
      Jud_1:6 And the angels who did not stay within their own position of authority, but left their proper dwelling, he has kept in eternal chains under gloomy darkness until the judgment of the great day—
      Jud_1:7 just as Sodom and Gomorrah and the surrounding cities, which likewise indulged in sexual immorality and pursued unnatural desire, serve as an example by undergoing a punishment of eternal fire.
    • Rev 14:9-11 And another angel, a third, followed them, saying with a loud voice, "If anyone worships the beast and its image and receives a mark on his forehead or on his hand, he also will drink the wine of God's wrath, poured full strength into the cup of his anger, and he will be tormented with fire and sulfur in the presence of the holy angels and in the presence of the Lamb. And the smoke of their torment goes up forever and ever, and they have no rest, day or night, these worshipers of the beast and its image, and whoever receives the mark of its name."
    • Rev 19:3 Once more they cried out, "Hallelujah! The smoke from her goes up forever and ever."
    • Rev 20:10 and the devil who had deceived them was thrown into the lake of fire and sulfur where the beast and the false prophet were, and they will be tormented day and night forever and ever.

You will definitely want to do a thorough study of the Book of Revelation if you want to get a complete picture of Jesus. He is the executor of God's wrath. All the wrath pours out because of Jesus breaking the seals.

Read Jesus's own words in the letters written to the churches in Rev 2-3. Jesus tells the Laodicean church He is going to "vomit them out" because they are lukewarm (Rev. 3:15). Read about the vengeance of Jesus Christ as He commits a false prophetess to a sickbed and kills her children (Rev. 2:20-23).

And that is just the beginning. The whole world is going to perish.

The wrath that Jesus refers to is His own because Revelation makes it clear that He is the one who executes it.

I do not believe Luke Chapter 21 can be referring to a city being sacked in 70AD. There may be some foreshadowing aspects that related to that event (as we frequently see in the bible) but the overall text looks very much like the events of the tribulation and judgement. We see false christs (v.8), world war (v.9-10), earthquakes (v.11), famines (v.11), pestilence (v.11), terrors and great signs from heaven (v.11), signs in the sun and moon and starts (v.25), upheaval of the seas (v.25), powers of heaven shaken (v.26), the Son of Man coming in a cloud (v.27).

I do not believe all those things happened when Jerusalem was sacked. All these events have parallels in Revelation related to future events at the end of the age. Jesus Himself said that these were signs that the Kingdom of God is near (v.31).

The wrath of God is executed at a time according to God's own will. Jesus, in His first coming, did not appear to execute wrath, because it was not God's will at that time. His mission at that time was to reconcile God and man. You'll have to incorporate Revelation into your understanding of Jesus to know why I say He is in perfect accord with the wrath of God.

I'm losing track over why we are arguing about this. Please refer to questions at the top. :)

I'm not sure what can be said about it. God's wrath is terrifying, and it is supposed to be. But God has not destined us [Christians] for wrath (1Thes 5:9).

Wrath is not for humans to emulate, it is God's alone. Like vengeance, accepting worship, godly jealousy, and certain other characteristics that only belong to Almighty God.

The law was established so that grace could abound (Romans 5:20). Jesus showed grace. It was not illegal to be merciful. His actions were the fulfillment of the law.

• Mat 5:17 "Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them.
    • Mat 22:37-39 And he said to him, "You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. This is the great and first commandment. And a second is like it: You shall love your neighbor as yourself.
    • Gal 5:14 For the whole law is fulfilled in one word: "You shall love your neighbor as yourself."

“The soul that sins shall die.” (Ezekiel 18:4)
    “The soul that sins shall die.” (Ezekiel 18:20)
    “For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.” (Romans 6:23)

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Yeah. I'm just getting my coffee this morning...sorry :D

At least the coffee will fix it for you. A few years back, this type of discussion would roll off my tongue (ro fingertips) effortlessly. Today, not so much. It is amazing what a few sources of stress will do to one's ability to think at this level.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Just to make a general statement, You see the word wrath/anger where it is not in the text and attribute the word "wrath" to God when the text does not say so in the scriptures which you cite.

What concerns me the most in this post though is your view we are arguing. That for me has a negative connotation for it implies persuasion and not discussion for understanding.

I do not want to argue with you so I will abstain from answering this post directly for now. I do plan to put out there an alternative view of how to understand God's wrath, that also scripturally supported but is very different from the western version and leave it up to the readers if there is anything of value in it. That will take considerable time and effort.

Oh, I didn't mean arguing in a negative sense, although it sounds like it after reading again. I just meant I forgot how we reached that point in the discussion. Lol

I like these discussions and I think they are important. Even if we are very different the discourse challenges us to search God's word and test what is true.

P.S. I will add you to my prayer list.

UK2K

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2012
    Thought this might suit this thread - been great reading so far, I love the different views everybody has. I have recently stopped "going to a building where Christians congregate" and am cracking the Bible open with my wife and family and doing in depth studies of everything I have been taught or learned along the way.
    Religous Funny.png

traderdan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Martinsville
    Thought this might suit this thread - been great reading so far, I love the different views everybody has. I have recently stopped "going to a building where Christians congregate" and am cracking the Bible open with my wife and family and doing in depth studies of everything I have been taught or learned along the way.
    View attachment 45008

That is surely a step in the right direction!

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    UK2K said:

Hebrews 10:24-25
    And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds, not giving up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but encouraging one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching.

Top Bottom