• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indyk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Alpha site
    First of all... Largest indoor range? Really? They've got six lanes and a small table. You'd think Indy would have a better indoor range.

Second, what do you all mean by "bad treatment"? The guys in there were a little gruff and short, but otherwise okay. They weren't overly friendly by any means.

Third, what choice do I have? Kinda cold outside right now. Show me another indoor option and I'm all over it...

here ya go
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...hat_friggn_east_side_gun_store_9_24_10_a.html

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/general_firearms_discussion/74984-gun_store_attitude.html

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/general_firearms_discussion/31374-pop_guns_range_hours_and_prices-2.html

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/local_gun_shops/20946-pop_guns.html

brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    I am / was thinking it might be a small savings and I might go try it out. My wife won't want to go outside to shoot ... but after the last trip there, she won't want to go down Washington street either. so I am not sure ... 2 to shoot, try some alternate pistol with a free box of ammo to use in the 'rented' gun ... run some of my own through my own pistol ... but its only about 10$ to save ... and I didn't see when the 'coupon' expired, coupled with the look down on you attitude from the owner (and therefore the employees too) I don't know if I will try it or not.

... has anyone actually bought it that can post more details?

Cru

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    Noblesville, IN
    I am / was thinking it might be a small savings and I might go try it out. My wife won't want to go outside to shoot ... but after the last trip there, she won't want to go down Washington street either. so I am not sure ... 2 to shoot, try some alternate pistol with a free box of ammo to use in the 'rented' gun ... run some of my own through my own pistol ... but its only about 10$ to save ... and I didn't see when the 'coupon' expired, coupled with the look down on you attitude from the owner (and therefore the employees too) I don't know if I will try it or not.

... has anyone actually bought it that can post more details?

Kimmi and I used to shoot there Bill, it's fine, but the price you are gonna pay for ammo on their rental guns and you won't get out of there for less than 50 bucks. Save your dough, go to a shooting event with me, there'll be plenty of guns to shoot.

Saiga223

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I see Pop's is not well liked on this forum. As for that coupon it does not seem like a great deal to me, but I guess if there are 3 shooters it would balance out. I'm a firefighter so I get 50% off of range time anyway so for $9.50 plus tax and targets/hour I can withstand a little sub par customer service.

troy28

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 21, 2010
    Behind the crosshairs
    Can I get a 40% off their Jersey Shore fist pumping in your A$$ prices? They would at least be competitive with the real shops around town.

I don't want to sound so greedy with the holidays and all.. How about a FREE 5min of get off your stool, provide an educated competent answer regarding firearms, and pretend that your customers business is worth your time.

But, that was just my experience might just be me........??

scottka

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    SW IN
    +1 to Applied Ballistics in Lafayette, if anyone is within a fairly short drive over here. Very nice place.

Mr.JAG

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I dunno, the guys at Pops have always been nice checking me into the range. Of course, I've never tried to talk to them about buying a gun so maybe my experience has been different.

The range itself is nothing special though, and sometimes has questionable characters shooting at it. It's just the only indoor option at this time (no way I'm even pulling into the parking at Dons).

That said, as soon as Beech Grove opens up their range I will be first inline to buy a membership.

indycruzr

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 9, 2009
    Indy Westside
    +1 to Applied Ballistics as well. :yesway:

They have an excellent range with 3 bays with 5 lanes each. Great place to shoot and good people there too! I live on the NW side of Indy, so it's about 40 minutes to their door.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    I've been to both Don's Guns and Pop's. Don's was the only place I knew of that I could shoot my AK when I first got it. It was the first time I'd ever set foot in Don's and I wasn't impressed (see everyone else's comments). I've shot at Pop Guns twice; once a couple years ago when I was trying to help a friend pass his M9 qual for deployment, and once about a year ago when I wanted to try out a Glock 21; I rented one of theirs. Not especially impressed by the range and it was costly, but it was the only alternative I knew of at the time.

brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    Kimmi and I used to shoot there Bill, it's fine, but the price you are gonna pay for ammo on their rental guns and you won't get out of there for less than 50 bucks. Save your dough, go to a shooting event with me, there'll be plenty of guns to shoot.

I don't doubt it. I actually think the coupon is for "NON-SHOOTERS" / Non-gun owners ... because if you don't need all the 'rental' stuff then it really isn't saving anything. I got 3 weekends and the 'chase' is mostly over for the year ... and If I had more than 2 mags I'd like to get to FNS (even if I stink at it) ... i so want to shoot that dog!!! (other post!! :D)

Indy_Hunter68

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    Greenfield
    Pop Guns USED to be my goto shop. First handgun purchased there, going back to when the shop was on 10th street. Lots of dough spent there. Now I shop around more to stretch my dollars.
    I heard the bad rep they were getting on this forum and other places as well. When I stopped in a month or so ago buy some specific ammo for my wifes handgun, I was basicly laughed out of the store. The jerk...errr clerk behind the counter began to lecture me on why my request was such a bad choice in his opinion. I made it clear I wasn't asking his opinion, and left the store. Doubt I'll go back. Makes me angry that the store has gone to crap. Mr. Helton used to be a heck of a nice guy, would spend as much time with a customer as needed, offer advice WHEN ASKED, etc. Always quality stuff in stock, decent prices to boot. my understanding is that due to health concerns, Helton is not as involved as before. Shame.

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Central Indiana
    Couldn't pay me to patronize their shop. The range is dirty, air is terrible, customer service is HORRIBLE and their prices are absurd. They've treated me like a turd far more times than I should've let them. Living Social is not going to save their business.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    I suppose I'm just lucky but I've never had a problem at Pop's. Prices are a little high on some stuff but I've got what I considered a pretty good deal on a couple of used guns there. I don't think there has ever been a fatality on the range there and I know Don's can't make that claim. Seems like, at least for now it's the only game in town.

Top Bottom