• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Willob

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    This year was my first year shooting USPSA and I had a great time and met a lot of new friends. I shot a Kimber in the SS class and will probably shoot that class most of the time. I would like to branch out into another class and think production or limited might be the next step. It is hard to tell what everyone is shooting at a match but it seems most production shooters are shooting Glocks with a few M&P's scattered in the mix. What can you tell a new shooter about the favorite production guns used and why? I have never shot a glock or M&P, but I have shot a CZ and Ruger SR9. I hope this doesn't open a can of worms, but why is the Glock so popular?

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    My take is that they are relatively inexpensive, lots of support in holsters, mag pouches, accessories, aftermarket modifications, and they work fine. All good reasons to pick them. I'm not certain they have any particular advantage over Springfield's XD or S&W's M&P models (although the positive trigger reset I hear is better), but they certainly don't have any disadvantages either. They're a "safe" choice for a beginner too, if for no other reason than there are so many other people using them. That "herd" mentality probably contributes a bit as well although, again, they are popular for good reason.

Oh, and did I mention that when they go KABOOM they're cheap to replace? :)

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    This year was my first year shooting USPSA and I had a great time and met a lot of new friends. I shot a Kimber in the SS class and will probably shoot that class most of the time. I would like to branch out into another class and think production or limited might be the next step. It is hard to tell what everyone is shooting at a match but it seems most production shooters are shooting Glocks with a few M&P's scattered in the mix. What can you tell a new shooter about the favorite production guns used and why? I have never shot a glock or M&P, but I have shot a CZ and Ruger SR9. I hope this doesn't open a can of worms, but why is the Glock so popular?

I think Glocks are popular because they're reliable, affordable and there are tons of them out there.

I go M&P myself when not shooting a wheelgun:cool:

riverman67

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Morgan County
    There are also a lot of XDm 5.25's being used in production.
    I shot one in production this year and I really like the gun.
    If I were you I'd shoot one of each and see which one you like the best.

downrange72

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    SW Indy/Camby/West Newton

CZ would be a good choice. A lot of people love the sa after the first shot. I would also recommend mp and XDM.

Glocks, I believe, are popular because of the market stronghold they had for so long. Personally, I don't like the way they feel, but to each their own. If you choose glock, I think that most of them prefer Gen 3 over newer versions.

Hold several and shoot several and choose the one you like best.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Glock 34, Glock 17, M&P 9L, M&P9 Pro, M&P9 FS, XDMs are the most common.

Why are Glocks popular? Because you can get holsters/mags/pouches/parts in ANY town with a gun store you visit because so many cops carry them.

Really, it's just a matter of what feels good in your hand.

While I currently carry and shoot an M&P9 FS in Production, the Glock feels and fits my hand better.

kolob10

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Beautiful Southern Indiana
    USPSA pistol

I can't speak to USPSA matches since I have no experience in that dicipline. I do however shoot Glocks and have for many years. I choose however to carry a 45 acp pistol for personal defense due to my personal efficiency with said weapon due I suspect to my familiarity, confidence, and the feel of the weapon in my hand. Is it not wonderful that we have such a variety and the freedom to choose here in the good old USA?

cschwanz

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    CZs are the trend right now i think. You get the benefit of a SA pull on all but the first shot and a heavy steel framed gun to mitigate any recoil. More and more shooters are going that way.

Glocks will always be popular bc of their price, reliability and ease of parts.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    CZs rule.

but here in IN, they're not the most popular from what I've seen. There are maybe 1 or 2 other CZ guys that show up regularly at local matches.

A CZ shadow is spendy compared to a G34, M&P9L, XDm 5.25 (but the shadow is good 2 go out of the box, most people spend a bit on trigger doodads, so in reality the cost differential is less than most people think)

There's also fear of the DA shot. Personally, I'm with Ernst Langdon, but "conventional wisdom" says it's a disadvantage.

I haven't taken a count, but I'd guess that M&Ps are about as common as Glocks locally. For the same reason. They're cheap, run relatively well and have a solid aftermarket. I'm sure there's some herd mentality there as well.

David Rose

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 11, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Glocks are popular in part because they were the only game in town for a long time. They established a good reputation before XD's and M&P's existed.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I noticed a lot of Glocks, Smith M&Ps and Springfield XDs in holsters.

I have also seen an SR9 or two, a Sig and several CZs.

Hmmmm.....I am starting to see a trend in the responses. :laugh:

R

rajendersingh90

the videos given here are just amazing to look up at and i would say that this will be a nice tutorial for the new shooters:ar15:

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I don't own, nor never have, a Glock. Not even ever held one. No desire. No attraction what so ever. Drawn to my 92FS and 1911s a lot more.

Both are good choices but the 1911 is not used for USPSA Production, it would be Single Stack. The 92FS would be a choice. The double action pull on the first shot would be a small disadvantage. Also, not nearly as many holster choices for the 92FS. That is one big reason why the "polymer" guns like the Glock, M&P, or XDm are so popular for USPSA.

Mike Elzinga

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    NWI
    1. Price competitive with most everything else
    2. Availability of guns, parts and aftermarket accessories
    3. Reliability- run longer and harder than the other models when looked at over the life of the gun
    4. Lower bore axis than all others except CZ makes for manageable recoil despite being the lightest weight
    5. Ease of maintenance- if something does break there is no "send it back to the factory" to get a minor part fixed like some other models.
    6. Strong support for the shooting sports
    7. So ugly you don't mind running em hard and putting away dirty
    8. Consistent, short "DA" trigger pull. It's a personal thing but I'd rather have shortish DA every time than a SA/DA transition.
    9. Duration- They were the strong favorite since the beginning of Production division.

Top Bottom