• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • joslar15

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Bloomington
    A couple years ago, we glassed in our 8x16 screened-in porch. Glass on two sides, 16 ft side faces East, awesome for having coffee and watching the sunrise. The room now gets much more use than I ever anticipated, so I would like to have it climate controlled; the ceiling fan just doesn't cut it. If I were a smart man, I would have added a run when I replaced my central air last year. So, I am looking for alternatives, such as portable units. Mini-split systems, at least from what I have seen, have been ruled out by cost/benefit. This leads me to the portables.

Anyone have experience with these? Brands to look for or avoid? Are they effective? Any other tips, things to consider? I'm thinking 12k BTU should be sufficient.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    I used one last summer as well as this summer. They work like a regular window unit would. Periodically, they need drained.

TheEngineer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 12, 2013
    Down South
    TvO5n.jpg

Problem solved...

Crbn79

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 4, 2014
    Indianapolis, North
    If you go the portable route, make sure you get one that has 2 vent hoses and evaporate through exhaust so you don't have to empty the pan often.

The systems with only an exhaust and no intake hose send some of your cooled air out and you lose a good deal of cooling efficiency.

joslar15

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Bloomington
    If you go the portable route, make sure you get one that has 2 vent hoses and evaporate through exhaust so you don't have to empty the pan often.

The systems with only an exhaust and no intake hose send some of your cooled air out and you lose a good deal of cooling efficiency.

On the subject of exhaust venting, can I just run the hose into the attic, or out through the soffit?

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    A couple years ago, we glassed in our 8x16 screened-in porch. Glass on two sides, 16 ft side faces East, awesome for having coffee and watching the sunrise. The room now gets much more use than I ever anticipated, so I would like to have it climate controlled; the ceiling fan just doesn't cut it. If I were a smart man, I would have added a run when I replaced my central air last year. So, I am looking for alternatives, such as portable units. Mini-split systems, at least from what I have seen, have been ruled out by cost/benefit. This leads me to the portables.

Anyone have experience with these? Brands to look for or avoid? Are they effective? Any other tips, things to consider? I'm thinking 12k BTU should be sufficient.

I have a unit I'd like to sell. I sent you a PM with an offer.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    We put one in our 1-bedroom double when the brand-new A/C was stolen. $400 was a heck of a lot less expensive than $2500. It's been in there for about 3 years now.

Crbn79

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 4, 2014
    Indianapolis, North
    On the subject of exhaust venting, can I just run the hose into the attic, or out through the soffit?

They generally have a window insert, I wouldn't vent it into an attic as it's quite a bit of moisture which will be put off from it. Heat + Moisture = yuck. If it's going to be a long run, you could always hook it up to some PVC pipes and vent it through a soffit from there.

joslar15

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Bloomington
    They generally have a window insert, I wouldn't vent it into an attic as it's quite a bit of moisture which will be put off from it. Heat + Moisture = yuck. If it's going to be a long run, you could always hook it up to some PVC pipes and vent it through a soffit from there.
    I know about the window inserts, but my "windows" are 2 - 7' x 8' sliding patio doors for one wall an another 7' x 8' sliding door for the other wall, hence going up to vent. Wasn't sure about the moisture aspect of venting to the attic and its present roof vents and perf soffit.

BWF-thanks for the excellent offer. Still working on SWMBO that I can vent the thing in a way that's "not ugly!"

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield

I have a 13x18 sunroom that has 5 foot tall windows on three sides, along with a full length glass door and two skylights.

I'm currently cooling it with a 10,000 BTU air conditioner that does a some what adequate job until it gets above 85 outside.

Just don't have enough air supply from an 8 inch incoming line and I'm planning on adding a Mitsubishi Mr. Slim split high efficiency heat pump. Will heat down to 15 below, and plan on adding a second cooling only add on for my upstairs loft to ease the strain on my main system. Cost is not cheap, but it will far outweigh the heating and cooling it will provide along with help my main unit not having to work so hard.

joslar15

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Bloomington
    I have a 13x18 sunroom that has 5 foot tall windows on three sides, along with a full length glass door and two skylights.

I'm currently cooling it with a 10,000 BTU air conditioner that does a some what adequate job until it gets above 85 outside.

Just don't have enough air supply from an 8 inch incoming line and I'm planning on adding a Mitsubishi Mr. Slim split high efficiency heat pump. Will heat down to 15 below, and plan on adding a second cooling only add on for my upstairs loft to ease the strain on my main system. Cost is not cheap, but it will far outweigh the heating and cooling it will provide along with help my main unit not having to work so hard.
    A mini-split would be the ideal way to go, but SWMBO would never go for that!

Top Bottom