• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Concerned Citizen

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2010
    Brownsburg
    A new place is opening up in a couple of weeks, offering different types of training. Their website is: Poseidon Experience
    Looks very interesting A friend of mine works there, and she invited me a pre-grand opening session. I will report back after I go.

The website is brand new, not completed yet, so don't be too hard on them.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    This could be interesting. I was expecting Simunitions, but it looks like they're using a Laser system? Also: nobody ever gives Ruger any love when retrofitting firearms for these kinds of applications. [sadface] I'd love to train on the pistol that I carry.

jjlaughner

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Apr 19, 2010
    Brownsburg
    I went to the opening on Sunday, they have a MILO simulator, a couple of classrooms (one will work with as a virtual range), break room and a locker room. In the back is the dry fire SIRT range with several movable targets and the MILO simulator which is HUGE! We ran thru a couple of the shoot - don't shoot videos, they had red SIRT guns as well as real firearms that have gas blowback retrofit by MILO to work with the simulators. There were a couple SIG AR15a, a pump shotgun, several Glocks and a whole bunch of green and red SIRT pistols. Jesse mentioned being able to use Flash lights, pepper spray and tasers as well.

Concerned Citizen

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2010
    Brownsburg
    Spent about 90 minutes there today. COOL! experience. First, I brought my 19 year old son, and my wife. My son shoots with me at the range, but my wife has only shot my weapons a couple of times. This is a great place to take somebody who is not very comfortable shooting guns, because it's not loud or intimidating. (by the way, she did great!) We started with the SIRT weapons (Sight Indicating Resetting Trigger). This was a heavy plastic gun, to work on sight alignment & trigger control. It has two lasers on it, one for the instructor, one for hitting the target. The purpose is to get you into the habit of not letting the trigger all the way out between shots, to increase your accuracy. There were 3 targets set up that were different heights, and only about a 4" diameter. The focus; "Slow Is Steady, Steady Is Fast" It's not about speed, it's about accuracy, and repetition will bring speed. I'm convinced I need one of these in my living room. We then drilled on magazine replacement. Two shots in each target, replace magazines, repeat, repeat, repeat.

Next we went into the back room, and worked on the MILO/IES Screen. Awesome Experience. Started with basic indoor range targets at different distances, then moved on to shooting steel plates that fell over when you shot them, then a screen with maybe 16 plates on a rack, some of them green, some of them red. The idea to only shoot the green plates. (and, of course, everything is timed, so there's the competitive aspect with the group you go with). We then moved on to red and green plates that popped up out of the floor, which was the hardest, since they were moving. We then moved on to having 8 plates stacked on a rack, numbered 1-8, but spaced randomly, not in numerical order. You had to shoot them in sequential order. This was a head-to-head competition between two people, shooting at the same time next to each other. My son dominated me in this one! Next was "Home On The Range"; several silhouette targets popped up at different distances. This got you in the mindset of switching between 'Sight Alignment' for the farther shots, and 'Point & Shoot' for the closer shots. Some of the silhouettes were green, some were red, and they only popped up for 5 seconds at a time. They have complete control on the time each target stays up, and the length of the shoot. Again, all of these track your time, and the number of hits & misses. There were several more, and we didn't have time to do near all of them.

I loved the Experience. My son was super pumped, and loved it. My wife was hesitant, but tolerated it and jumped right in and did her best, which was pretty darn good! And I think it made her a lot more comfortable with shooting and weapon handling. Jesse, the owner, is a great teacher, has a very good attitude, and can easily switch between very beginner, intermediate, and advanced shooters seamlessly. He really makes you feel comfortable, and he knows his business.

This is a great chance for the civilian shooter to use some state of the art equipment. I give it a "5 Stars"!

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2012
    01001111 01001000
    Have you taken classes with instructors and live ammunition? If so, how would you compare the two experiences?

Besides the atmosphere, what in your opinion sets the virtual training apart from live fire? What does it accomplish that live fire doesn't?

You bring up a great point about this being an opportunity to include your wife without the stress associated with live fire. If affordable it could be a great way to help new and nervous shooters get comfortable with the equipment before going to live fire.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    I've been there a couple of times, the plan is for me to assist in training, from an LEO perspective (I'm a firearms instructor as well). This does not replace live fire nor simunition training. However, this business reinforces the basics. Trigger control, sight alignment, etc. Work on the basics then move to the MILO targets from the SIRT targets. From the targets, you move to the shoot/don't shoot scenarios. There, you will use what you practiced up until that point and become more confident in your abilities. All without spending an arm and a leg for ammo or trying to find a range that will let you shoot at moving targets. The MILO guns are expensive, $2000-$3000 a piece. We have a MILO at our training academy that is used exclusively for recruit training. Public access to a MILO is rare indeed. This is a unique opportunity.

Concerned Citizen

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2010
    Brownsburg
    Have you taken classes with instructors and live ammunition? If so, how would you compare the two experiences?

Besides the atmosphere, what in your opinion sets the virtual training apart from live fire? What does it accomplish that live fire doesn't?

You bring up a great point about this being an opportunity to include your wife without the stress associated with live fire. If affordable it could be a great way to help new and nervous shooters get comfortable with the equipment before going to live fire.

I have. Jesse's tips & techniques he gives are consistent with other instruction I've received. As Denny said above, this does not replace live fire. However, it does bring a couple things you don't get from a range. Electronic scoring, interactive target response (shattering plates, and falling man-silhouettes when you hit them), moving targets, randomly appearing targets, and I especially like that most of the shooting scenarios have "Shoot & Don't Shoot" targets. Those, along with the moving targets & randomly appearing targets give you the opportunity to have to make quick decisions at a split second, on whether you should or shouldn't shoot a target. You just can't get that with fixed targets at a range. Additionally, if it is a scenario that you and your buddy are shooting side by side, it both times you, and it keeps track of your hit-miss ratio. I'm very competitive, so this is right up my alley.

Plus, it only takes seconds to reset targets, and/or rest to a completely different scenario.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Is he the retired Navy Seal they talk about on their home page?

Ah - now I get the Poseidon reference.

A marketing person would have warned him to stay away from something that would seem more like The Poseidon Adventure.

Totally. Different. And not in a good way.

Sounds like a cool training thing. I took a quick look at the site, but didn't see pricing for the cool stuff. Any comments on that?

Concerned Citizen

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2010
    Brownsburg
    Ah - now I get the Poseidon reference.

A marketing person would have warned him to stay away from something that would seem more like The Poseidon Adventure.

Totally. Different. And not in a good way.

Sounds like a cool training thing. I took a quick look at the site, but didn't see pricing for the cool stuff. Any comments on that?

The prices are there, they are just hard to navigate to. You have to click on "book an experience", then click the down arrow for "select a session type"

It's $38 for a 30 minute session, or $50 for a 30 minute session with coaching. It does not tell how many people can be in a 30 minute session, or if you can get longer than a 30 minute session, etc. Only 1 class is listed on the site so far, "basic pistol" or basic pistol for ladies only, which is a 6-7 hour class for $160. He said there will multiple other classes in the near future.

I would REALLY like to redesign the website for them. It's not very user friendly. Maybe I'll offer.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2012
    01001111 01001000
    The above quoted prices are pretty good if you consider how much money you'll throw downrange in ammo in that amount of time depending on your caliber selection. I may have to give this a look as a way to reinforce my range regimen.

As to the bio of this "Jesse". I don't really care if an instructor is prior military or not. I just want to be confident that the person I am going to be spending my money with and trusting to train me and my wife actually knows what they claim to know and that they're an effective teacher.

I would REALLY like to redesign the website for them. It's not very user friendly. Maybe I'll offer.

From the end user perspective: that's a fantastic idea. It could use a little tlc.

Top Bottom