Possibility of free 00 buckshot to load? your thoughts?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kirkorner

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 25, 2008
    Clay City, IN
    Hey everyone! So work has came across some bearings from a company that we are doing work for. These are just the internal rollers (semi cyndrical-semi circular) that come out of bearing races. My question is since 00 buckshot is 0.330" diameter (from what I've read online), these are 0.380" long and 0.345" in diameter, would this work for buckshot, or is this a big no no?

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    The bearings you are talking about are hardened, correct, as in really hardened. Probably way harder than the barrel in your shotgun. They will not be rolling when the powder ignites, they will be sliding. The Shot cup on a combination wad "SHOULD" contain the bearings and protect the barrel. I'll bet at least one will contact the barrel every shot, as the wads take a real beating with larger shot sizes. If that bearing is skidding across the choke tube/barrel gap, I could anticipate loosing a barrel if it makes a burr and catches the choke tube.

To Summerize, it will work, but not in my shotgun barrel. To save on buckshot, you are risking a lot of potential risk. Use soft lead or lead antimony alloy, not tool steel.

Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    The bearings you are talking about are hardened, correct, as in really hardened. Probably way harder than the barrel in your shotgun. They will not be rolling when the powder ignites, they will be sliding. The Shot cup on a combination wad "SHOULD" contain the bearings and protect the barrel. I'll bet at least one will contact the barrel every shot, as the wads take a real beating with larger shot sizes. If that bearing is skidding across the choke tube/barrel gap, I could anticipate loosing a barrel if it makes a burr and catches the choke tube.

To Summerize, it will work, but not in my shotgun barrel. To save on buckshot, you are risking a lot of potential risk. Use soft lead or lead antimony alloy, not tool steel.
    BIG :+1:

THard6

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2010
    Greenwood
    LEO hit in on the head, and PINKIRON just though he got a solid post

If you end up going through with your original idea and end up making the rounds.. let us know what you come up with!

Top Bottom