• ...and so much more!
  • Riggs226

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 19, 2018
    SLLERSBURG
    Hello everyone.

I’ve recently thought about possibly joining the National Gaurd or Army reserves.
    1 for the benefits that come from being in the military and
    2 the retirement
    3 sometimes I feel like I’m waisting time and not doing anything fulfilling in life.
    I’m 30 now and thought about getting a head start on the physical aspect of it. I’m a little out of shape compared to what I used to be. I was wondering if there was any veterans with opinions on this.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Get in shape BEFORE you say "I Do".
    It's looking like the U.S. Marines are cracking down on out of shape and overweight marines. They need to reinstate the Pig Pen (Physical conditioning platoon" to get these pukes back into shape.
    The better physical shape you're in the better your chances of surviving are when you're deployed into unfriendly areas. Reserves and Guard are playing a crucial role in today's military.
    Good for you and think out what you're doing all the way to the end of the rope before you make your mark on the paper.

Riggs226

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 19, 2018
    SLLERSBURG
    Get in shape BEFORE you say "I Do".
    It's looking like the U.S. Marines are cracking down on out of shape and overweight marines. They need to reinstate the Pig Pen (Physical conditioning platoon" to get these pukes back into shape.
    The better physical shape you're in the better your chances of surviving are when you're deployed into unfriendly areas. Reserves and Guard are playing a crucial role in today's military.
    Good for you and think out what you're doing all the way to the end of the rope before you make your mark on the paper.

I will probably wait a minimal of a year. I am going to get back to where I can run 10 miles at least before joining. Something I won’t take lightly.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    I joined the national guard when I was 30. Its rough on an old body.
    I dont remember how many times I was stopped by an officer and asked if i had shaved that morning.
    I ended up with a permanently hyper extended knee that still bothers me, I'm 50 now.
    I recieved a medical discharge before I ever finished boot camp

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    When I was in basic at age 18 there was a guy who was 34. He tried, but couldn't keep up with the kids. Good luck. Being able to do a ten mile run would give you a nice edge IMO.

Riggs226

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 19, 2018
    SLLERSBURG
    When I was in basic at age 18 there was a guy who was 34. He tried, but couldn't keep up with the kids. Good luck. Being able to do a ten mile run would give you a nice edge IMO.

Any suggestions on thing to focus on like long runs or anything else.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    What MOS are you interested in? If I was 30 and thinking about joining the guard or reserves, I'd not pick a ground-pounding MOS unless I was in excellent shape for my age.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Method of service will be critical to your longevity. I was 26, a smoker, and out of shape. And we had one guy older at 31 when I hit Ft. Jackson for basic. We both made it.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    By all means, get in shape. If you can run 10 miles, that will be great. Route45 has some good advice about picking an MOS (or how about AFSC?) that doesn't require a 20 y.o. body. I was in my early thirties when as part of military unit I did the Four Days Marches Nijmegan, which was a 100 mile march in four days. At the end of each day I was ready to die, but the 18-20 year olds wanted to go into town to drink beer and chase Dutch girls.

If you have some civilian skills that might transfer over, like driving heavy equipment or something, that might make the transition smoother.

Best wishes!

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    If you're joining for #3 dont join the national guard. You will be bored and disappointed. .
    Why reserves? Go active.
    I think a lot of people have a misconception about the physical requirements about the military as a whole. How far can you run now? What is your definition of out of shape?
    Your MOS is going to be the key

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    When I was in basic we had a guy who was like 27. I can't remeber exactly now. Anyways, his nickname was grandpa :):

Riggs226

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 19, 2018
    SLLERSBURG
    What MOS are you interested in? If I was 30 and thinking about joining the guard or reserves, I'd not pick a ground-pounding MOS unless I was in excellent shape for my age.

I was thinking something like combat engineer maybe armor. Something combat related honestly I haven’t read up on MOS as much as I should. I would want something that I would enjoy and would find fun while Playing weekend warrior.

Riggs226

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 19, 2018
    SLLERSBURG
    By all means, get in shape. If you can run 10 miles, that will be great. Route45 has some good advice about picking an MOS (or how about AFSC?) that doesn't require a 20 y.o. body. I was in my early thirties when as part of military unit I did the Four Days Marches Nijmegan, which was a 100 mile march in four days. At the end of each day I was ready to die, but the 18-20 year olds wanted to go into town to drink beer and chase Dutch girls.

If you have some civilian skills that might transfer over, like driving heavy equipment or something, that might make the transition smoother.

Best wishes!

I work in maitance and I have worked in aviation as a mechanic before. But I’d like to take it as a chance to learn a new skill.

Riggs226

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 19, 2018
    SLLERSBURG
    If you're joining for #3 dont join the national guard. You will be bored and disappointed. .
    Why reserves? Go active.
    I think a lot of people have a misconception about the physical requirements about the military as a whole. How far can you run now? What is your definition of out of shape?
    Your MOS is going to be the key

Ill be getting married next year and starting a family. I’ve thought about that but I just don’t think it’s a good time to go ful active I also have a great job and like where I’m at now.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Ill be getting married next year and starting a family. I’ve thought about that but I just don’t think it’s a good time to go ful active I also have a great job and like where I’m at now.

From your posts so far, it sounds to me like you are just restless and bored and want to do something fun. Unless you and your future wife are willing to commit to you being gone from your home, family and job for an extended period of time (unforeseen deployment), then I'd think twice about this. It's quite a bit more than "having fun playing weekend warrior."

Riggs226

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 19, 2018
    SLLERSBURG
    From your posts so far, it sounds to me like you are just restless and bored and want to do something fun. Unless you and your future wife are willing to commit to you being gone from your home, family and job for an extended period of time (unforeseen deployment), then I'd think twice about this. It's quite a bit more than "having fun playing weekend warrior."

I am fine with that. I know the commitment is more that just showing up more than one weekend a month and I accept that. I just don’t think for me full time is the best path. Unless I’m completely wrong and if I am please correct me because I known I need to research more. But National gaurd unless deployed or yearly training I could live and stay in Indiana. And not be stationed in another state or country.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Any suggestions on thing to focus on like long runs or anything else.

Focus on being able to run a 10k easily. Then work on running it faster and faster. If you can run a fast 10k, you can run a slow 20k. or a really slow marathon.

Shoot for a 10k under 40 min and you'll be in a good spot. Under 35 min is even better.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    If you always wait for the perfect opportunities or time to make big moves in life then you will live with many regrets, in my opinion.
    You just need to make a choice and things will fall in line and you will forge ahead and be happy because you are living with no regrets.
    I used to grab life by the horns. Recent years ive made lots of excuses as to why I couldnt do this or that. I've tried really hard lately to just take a leap of faith and do it and I've been a lot happier and more satisfied in my life. I still have a lot of work to do but I'm progressing.
    I think if you want adventure, you will find it in the active Army. Your family will be fine and they will be with you. You will live your career and serve a higher purpose and make lifelong friends. Jobs are a dime a dozen. They will always be out there to be had.
    If it's not for you, then dont reenlist or THEN transfer to the guard

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    I am fine with that. I know the commitment is more that just showing up more than one weekend a month and I accept that. I just don’t think for me full time is the best path. Unless I’m completely wrong and if I am please correct me because I known I need to research more. But National gaurd unless deployed or yearly training I could live and stay in Indiana. And not be stationed in another state or country.

As of 2018, over 50% of the National Guard have combat experience.

A good article to read: https://work.chron.com/chances-getting-deployed-join-national-guard-27714.html

Top Bottom