• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Aaronhome27

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Kendallville
    I presently have an AR15 listed here and also on another site. I had an interested party contact me wanting to buy the AR. He replied to me with his interest and also left his phone number to call him. It was area code (919). So I used my friend google to search the area code and found it was a North Carolina phone number. After several emails the guy let me know he was a resident of South Bend now but his business phone was out of North Carolina. I decided I would investigate more and had the guy call me to discuss more. The guy was very polite and asked alot of technical information on the AR. After a bit of the Q&A he decided it was what he was looking for and started working out a place to meet. I then asked again if he was in fact an Indiana resident. He stated he had an apartment in South Bend and had been living there for 10 months. He said he still had his LTCH from North Carolina to prove he was a legal. I then asked what proof he had to show he was an Indiana resident. He said everything he had still showed North Carolina but he had all of his bills and rental agreement for Indiana which made him a resident. He made a very compelling argument to his legal residency in Indiana. I told him that the only way I could sell him the rifle was to go thru an FFL since he had no legal ID with his Indiana residency. I told him that I would be willing to meet at a local FFL in the area where we were to meet and I would pay the fee associated with the Legal transfer. The guy said that he felt it would be to much of a hassle and said we could just meet and no one would really ever know as he said he would just say he bought the rifle at the local gun show. I again stated that I just wanted to obey the laws even if it meant not selling the rifle. He said that he might call me later to figure something out but it was pretty much a deal breaker due to the hassle.

I am about 99% this guy was either illegal or a possible sting on internet trading of firearms. This guy was very professional and well mannered and would make you think there was nothing wrong with selling to him. I just wanted to give a heads up on the situation for those that are selling/trading online. Beware and always make sure whether the person is legal. I have purchased from a few people that just asked where I lived and never actually checked to verify. I always produce ID and LTCH on every transaction whether I am asked to or not.

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    Sounds like a typical ATF set up. That's basically what they did to Randy Weaver, cajole him into doing something he didn't want to do, then go after him for it.

Darral27

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Elwood
    Regardless of whether it was a sting or not you made the right decision not to sell the rifle to this person. Is it really that much of a hassle to meet at FFL? With your offer to pay the fees that was more than reasonable and I would say there was certainly something wrong with this person.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Sting or ineligible buyer, you did the right thing. :yesway:

If your spidey sense were tingling, I'd stay away.

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    I think your instincts to meet at an FFL served you well. My suggestion would be never trade with someone who didn't have both an IN lifetime card and IN id. As responsible gun owners, and practitioners of the sport it is incumbent on each of us to never compromise our ethics. In your situation I would not pursue the transaction. If memory serves me correctly, I do not think that it is legal for a resident of NC to purchase a long gun from any but the states which it borders. For what it is worth, anyone with a vacation home could produce all of the documents which your guy mentioned. Those documents do not a resident make. That's my two cents, which thanks to inflation are worthless. Do not mistake this for legal advice, I am not a lawyer and I don't even play one on tv.

Aaronhome27

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Kendallville
    Rep for doing the right thing, especially reading your ad and seeing your jonesing for an auction gun.

LOL, thanks!! I enjoy buying, selling and trading but I try to keep light of what is important. And yes, the jones is on but if it doesnt happen it doesnt happen. This guy acted very excited and willing to pay to get what he wanted. That is why I posted. I am concerned that he will be contacting others as well.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Trust your common sense, If the hair on back of my neck stands up during any transaction, I stop and walk away, no matter how bad I need the money. It is a lot harder getting out of a bad transaction than getting into it. Some peoples whole life is screwed up because they got into a seemingly harmless situation with the wrong person.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    common-sense.jpg

RobbLG

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2010
    I had a similar sense a few years ago as an army recruiter... A guy came into the office and told me about being on a disqualifying medication and then proceeded to try and coach me into telling him to lie about it... I didn't take the bait and sent him to his doctor for a letter... He went on asking me questions about our process of checking medical history etc... After he left I told the other recruiter that "that seemed like one of those stings that we've seen other recruiters on hidden video"... About 2 months later Our Recruiting Battalion was contacted by "Channel 5 News Investigates" and sure enough It was that guy... 4 other recruiters in Nashville got in deep trouble... I was the only one that didn't, even though I suffered through a 3 month investigation before I was cleared... They still dragged me through the mud with little snippets of the conversation that looked bad by themselves, but, were completely harmless when taken in context of the questions/conversation.... Could have been a similar situation... A news channel "investigating" private gun sales... The South Bend area could have a few reporters interested in doing something like that...

gunduffer

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 16, 2011
    SE INDY
    Wow, I had no idea, but it helps keep guns out of BG's hands and like the original post, I don't mind doing the right thing. Its for my protection as well as anybody elses. Follow the law is the moral to the original post.

gunduffer

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 16, 2011
    SE INDY
    I was selling a 22 Jeminez online from Indy. A guy called me from Terre Haute wanting to buy it and meet at some rest stop on Indy for the sale. It doesn't make sense to drive all that way for a cheap gun. I told him he should just buy local for the cheap gun it was.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    He said he still had his LTCH from North Carolina to prove he was a legal.

This sentence right here is proof positive that is is indeed NOT legal.

If you are a Indiana resident, the only way you may legally carry in the state of Indiana is to have a Indiana LTCH. Indiana does not recognize out of state permits for residents.

Also I think (if memory serves me correct) that once you have residency in a state you must change your DL within either 90 days or 6 months. So that there is another ding against him.

Top Bottom