• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Best location for new gun/gunsmith shop?

• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

Nightwalker65

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2011
    Seymour
    OK, INGOers..I'm looking for your opinions..especially those of you in southeastern In....I'm seriously considering chasing my dream again, and trying to open a gun/gunsmith shop....part time at first,until I can get more experience and a client base,and ramping up as demand permits.......money is an issue,so the more business I get,the more equipment I can buy,and the more I'll be able to do,etc. etc......my question is this...I have two options for locations....either Seymour(where I live now) or Greensburg (where my kids and grandson live)......which one do you think is the better location?.....if you have a different idea,please post in the thread...........thanks for the input

Shoots4Fun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    74   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I voted Greensburg because Acme is already a good shop in Seymour. Just a thought. Also, I recently stopped in a small shop in Greensburg area and it seemed pretty small and outdated, although the peopel there seemed nice.

My :twocents:...

hammer24

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Greensburg. No gunsmith, so a need is there, and right on 74. I know of 3 or 4 jobs trigger jobs if that would have gone local if that had been an option just in the last few weeks. Word will spread pretty fast along the Interstate.:yesway: Already a shop in Greensburg, but an alternative is always nice.

THard6

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2010
    Greenwood
    LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION!!
    so many options you have to choose from. but you must take into consideration what is convenient for everyone not just where you're from or live. there are several places for sale or rent righ on US 31 on the southside of indy and that would be a great location for business. i am attempting/want to attempt to open an indoor gun range and facility here on the southside. but financing and other family issues have put it on hold. if i was you i'd consider starting this from your home or garage.. make sure it's something you're going to be able to excell in and make a profitable living from... goodluck!!!

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    Greensburg would be great. There is a small shop already there, but could always use another. And if someone would build a range, I know that they would get business. Folks down ere have to drive to Cincy or Indy during the cool/cold months.

Nightwalker65

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2011
    Seymour
    LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION!!
    so many options you have to choose from. but you must take into consideration what is convenient for everyone not just where you're from or live.

I agree,and I want to make my choice based on the demand for my services. After hearing from people at Crosley's shooting range, I was aware of some need around my area,now I'm seeing that it's more widespread than that.

if i was you i'd consider starting this from your home or garage.. make sure it's something you're going to be able to excell in and make a profitable living from... goodluck!!!
    That's the plan for starters...I don't have enough experience to pick a "specialty" just yet, but guns/gunsmithing is my passion...and there's obviously a need,so the profitability is there,also.

"Do something you love,and you'll never work a day in your life - Confucious" That's the whole idea:):

Last edited:

william

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Fishers
    OVERHEAD OVERHEAD OVERHEAD.

Which makes the most economic sense?

Good luck with your pending venture.

I agree with this. Who cares where the shop is. It would be way more important in my eyes that you do quality work and have the right tools to get the job done. Everybody is going to vote for the site nearest to them, but you you don't see many threads about who is the closest smith rather who does the best work. I vote put it where ever makes the most sense for the work you will be doing. If you do a good job people will seek you out.

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    If real estate is not problem I'd say Greensburg; for simple location, population density, more people and more highways it all equals more business. Word gets around when quality work is being done with competitive prices. Good luck.

oneshotonekill

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 10, 2009
    Over by the lake.
    If you come to Greensburg I'd like to apply to be an apprentice of yours. I'll work for no money, just want to learn how to work on them. There isn't anybody really close around that area.

Let me know when you open up and I'll be waiting outside!!!!

Nightwalker65

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2011
    Seymour
    If you come to Greensburg I'd like to apply to be an apprentice of yours. I'll work for no money, just want to learn how to work on them. There isn't anybody really close around that area.

Let me know when you open up and I'll be waiting outside!!!!

Not sure that I'm qualified to teach anyone,as I need experience myself....but if all goes well,I may take you up on that

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I don't know what is in Greensburg for gun shops. Seymour already has two good gun shops in Bite the Bullet and ACME. So if you decide to setup shop here (In Seymour) there will be competition. That being said, if we get more gun shops in Seymour it will become a gun Mecca so to speak. People might drive down from Indy and up from Louisville just to be able to shop at several places.

Heck maybe we should just buy the Tanger Outlet and turn it into a giant gun shop and shooting range. Be better then letting it sit empty.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Seyboldbryan
    Top Bottom