• Status
    Please reply by conversation.

txgho1911

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    DFW
    Group-buy suggestion? or is that to much for us yet?
    I was wondering how to start a group-buy for reloading components. Geographically smarter for a state based board for FtF distributions of the heavy and hazmat challenged parts.
    Some shops around will not carry any components as they believe insurance would double for the shop even if they only carried brass and bullet.
    If I posted this as an interest thread and dropped a link at a few other boards this might promote this board for some who have not heard of it yet.

Fenway

no longer pays the bills
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2008
    behind you
    This is a great idea txgho. I don't really need anything but I'll help set it up any way I can using this forum.

Mike Elzinga

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    NWI
    I would be very interested but I suspect their will be too many varied requests. I prefer Zero bullets, but Bob wants Montana Gold, while Lou only shoots Bullseye powder and Henry wont shoot anything but Hodgons.

If It can be put together, I'd be glad to get a cheap rate on Federal small pistol primers and some 125. 9mm bullets.

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    I'd be interested in an ammunition group buy if reliable ammunition for a decent price could be located.

Interested in 50 cal, 30 carbine, 7.62X39, .223, .308, 45, 357, or maybe even some 9MM

Prefer non Russian non lacquered reliable rounds :do2:

Mike Elzinga

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    NWI
    loaded ammo would be a good idea too.

Id be in for some brass cased 9mm ball in either 115 or 125 gr. if we could get a price down. Also maybe some decent .223 ammo.

Fenway, if you wanna set it up, I wouldnt be against your turning a profit for your efforts. I'd be curious how low the price could get.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    loaded ammo would be a good idea too.

Id be in for some brass cased 9mm ball in either 115 or 125 gr. if we could get a price down. Also maybe some decent .223 ammo.

Fenway, if you wanna set it up, I wouldnt be against your turning a profit for your efforts. I'd be curious how low the price could get.

I could get in on that. After the Walmart WWB 9mm price jump, I wouldn't mind a bulk purchase of cheaper plinking ammo.

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    Does AIM Surplus give quantity discounts, is that our best deal and do we need an FFL to barter a better deal? I'm sure that Karl would help out and we could pay a commission to him. If bought from AIM, we could pick it up direct if it saved enough on shipping.

am94pm

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    I have done several group buys for the guys on HKpro and the can work very effectively. The great power of the group buy is you can get the price down on shipping and sometimes the more you buy the lower the actual price of the product you are purchasing. I would be happy to help out on group buys.

karlsgunbunker

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2008
    Does AIM Surplus give quantity discounts, is that our best deal and do we need an FFL to barter a better deal? I'm sure that Karl would help out and we could pay a commission to him. If bought from AIM, we could pick it up direct if it saved enough on shipping.

AIM Might and I'm sure Century would, That's what they do.
    Century is where AIM, SOG, ... all get their pallets of guns and ammo from century.

Midway USA gives discounts to 01 and 03(C&R) FFL.

I'll do what I can but I'm not Physically able to load or unload ammo.
    I do have a truck and it would be cheaper and easier to have the shipment sent "hold for pickup" at the freight terminal.
    I worked in shipping and receiving for a few years.

I can make a few call and find out about discounts if we can reach a decision on what calibers are wanted.

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    AIM Might and I'm sure Century would, That's what they do.
    Century is where AIM, SOG, ... all get their pallets of guns and ammo from century.

Midway USA gives discounts to 01 and 03(C&R) FFL.

I'll do what I can but I'm not Physically able to load or unload ammo.
    I do have a truck and it would be cheaper and easier to have the shipment sent "hold for pickup" at the freight terminal.
    I worked in shipping and receiving for a few years.

I can make a few call and find out about discounts if we can reach a decision on what calibers are wanted.

Thanks Karl, You da man :thumbsup: I can help if we plan the time to fit my busy retirement schedule. I do have animals to feed and farm type stuff that's got to get done on a daily basis but I'm still able to lift & tote ;) and have a 1 ton dually if needed.

Glock mags are available for 15.99 at OMB until the middle of this month (I think). Free shipping on orders over 150.00

Public Safety Supplies - Law Enforcement Supply Company at Express Police Supply

I just ordered some Glock 17 & 18 mags from them but they are on Back Order :rolleyesedit:

Sounds like this plan may be coming together :do2:

txgho1911

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    DFW
    Ok I see some interest.
    Not to start a tally on this thread but any group buy for component parts would likely need to focus on the reloading parts. Logic for this is the likely hazmat fees for the powder and primers. If we generate enough participation this will end up going to one central location (indy) where folks can pick up FtF with someone. This will take a huge chunk of shipping and hazmat fees off. The hazmat fee for this may be higher but much less than 20+ individual hits.
    I propose a 1 month lead time to organize and post notice on every board around. Focus on central IN unless folks in the 4 corners want to make a road trip. No secondary shipping.
    Does AIM sell reloading components? I know Powder Valley sells about everything but not everything is in stock. I am not to keen on backorders.
    We can do a GB for ammo on one thread and components on another.

txgho1911

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    DFW
    Anyone in Indpls with garage or shop space enough for a pallet load of an ammo or reloading GB?
    As Karl mentioned what FFL 01 and 03 are onboard?
    Maybe an area gunshop would lend a name or address.

pmpmstrb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2008
    Thanks Karl, You da man :thumbsup: I can help if we plan the time to fit my busy retirement schedule. I do have animals to feed and farm type stuff that's got to get done on a daily basis but I'm still able to lift & tote ;) and have a 1 ton dually if needed.

Glock mags are available for 15.99 at OMB until the middle of this month (I think). Free shipping on orders over 150.00

Public Safety Supplies - Law Enforcement Supply Company at Express Police Supply

I just ordered some Glock 17 & 18 mags from them but they are on Back Order :rolleyesedit:

Sounds like this plan may be coming together :do2:

Thanks for the tip on the mags. I've been looking for a good price on them. :rockwoot:

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    OK I see some interest.
    Not to start a tally on this thread but any group buy for component parts would likely need to focus on the reloading parts. Logic for this is the likely hazmat fees for the powder and primers. If we generate enough participation this will end up going to one central location (Indy) where folks can pick up FTF with someone. This will take a huge chunk of shipping and hazmat fees off. The hazmat fee for this may be higher but much less than 20+ individual hits.
    I propose a 1 month lead time to organize and post notice on every board around. Focus on central IN unless folks in the 4 corners want to make a road trip. No secondary shipping.
    Does AIM sell reloading components? I know Powder Valley sells about everything but not everything is in stock. I am not to keen on back orders.
    We can do a GB for ammo on one thread and components on another.

It seems that Karl is on board and he is an FFL. Good idea to split the ammo order vs reloading supplies. If we buy directly from AIM we need to consider pick up vs shipping. Are we keeping this "in house" or are we opening this up to anyone from anywhere. Money would need to be up front & collected to pay the bill so no one person gets stuck but that's just my opinion.

Whoever the FFL is, I think that we should contribute to them for their effort and if we pick up the supplies directly from AIM, then fuel reimbursement would be in order in lieu of shipping charges. It may be cheaper to have it shipped with these crazy fuel prices.

I posted the Glock mag prices strictly for those interested in a good price not specifically for a group buy since a minimum order isn't required.

Go Team Go :runaway:

karlsgunbunker

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2008
    I don't need any pay for helping with a group buy.
    I do think anyone who is involved should be reembursed for expenses.
    If we can get it from AIM or SOG it might make sense to pick it up.
    Century is a big ammo importer and has offices in FL and VT.
    It might be possible to get a trucker to haul the load instead of returning home empty. There are services that match truckers with loads for not much than fuel cost just so they don't run home empty.
    I know nothing about reloading components and Midway USA is the only source I know of and they are in Columbia, MO.
    It would be an over night trip and hauling that much powder might be a legal problem. Especially across IL.

Status
    Please reply by conversation.
    Top Bottom