• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sheriff Dave

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2019
    Anderson/Pendleton
    Hi everyone, I am new here as I recently discovered this site. I hope I am posting this in the correct forum.
    I am looking for advice/suggestions on how to preserve my Indiana land that we shoot on. This land is in the country (Madison County) that my family has owned and lived on for 80 years now, I started shooting BB guns on this property in the early 70's as a young boy. This is where my family and friends shoot nearly weekly during bearable weather. We have our own informal "club", that we shoot both target and clays. It appears the surrounding property is possibly for sale again or possibly has been sold (not sure just yet), which is what I am sure will be a housing addition.

My question is.
    What steps (if any) can I take to lock in my right to continue shooting? Do I start a formal "Gun Club" ? Start a business? Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions. I understand that no one can give actual legal advice, I am just hoping for suggestions or possible do's and don'ts. Thanks in advance to any help.

Picture taken for fun by my wife, after winning a few rounds at the local Turkey Shoot. :D

View attachment 74833

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Is there zoning in your area? If so, act quickly and get a lawyer, get it zoned for use as a range. Not sure if that would be commercial or what, but make sure you get it zoned. Other than that, lawyer up.

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    Is there zoning in your area? If so, act quickly and get a lawyer, get it zoned for use as a range. Not sure if that would be commercial or what, but make sure you get it zoned. Other than that, lawyer up.

Ditto. How much land you own, direction of shooting, proximity to property lines, etc, will all play a part. Talk with and/or retain a lawyer.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    Securing ground for shooting use in perpetuity is not a simple task.

As has been indicated, contact an attorney that is versed in your local zoning regulations and proceed from there.

Before you start a "business" also converse with your lawyer and insurance company about liability and insurance costs. PM me if you want to know what it costs to insure a small range....it ain't cheap.

Top Bottom