• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hps

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    Maybe we can get some of these CZ folks to bring these Wiz guns and steal the show. ALL in fun!

Cloner

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 27, 2018
    Pittsboro
    I'm all for another opportunity to go to the range. Just want it set up so us carry optic guys can shoot stars or the plate rack and not sit on the sidelines.

Cloner

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 27, 2018
    Pittsboro
    I've never really cared what people bring to shoot, we arent shooting for a trophy,gun, or car we are just having fun. We have adapted to optics for bowling pin and we'll adapt for this Texas Star match. I always liked beating the brakes off of guys with optics.:):
    Challenge accepted:)

hps

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    I'm all for another opportunity to go to the range. Just want it set up so us carry optic guys can shoot stars or the plate rack and not sit on the sidelines.
    Oh yea,We can work this out! may have to shoot an extra target or even let the non optic guy shoot first then engage, it would put some pressure on the no optic guy to hit on his/her first shot.

FreeLand

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Sep 8, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Small knock over steel targets on stands might be a good way to handicap for people shooting something other than a handgun with iron sights. In bowling pins we add an extra pin for an optic or a carbine. If you have a carbine with an optic, that’s two extra pins. Knock over targets could be placed in the corners of the bay to increase the transition time from knock over targets to star.

FreeLand

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Sep 8, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Oh yea,We can work this out! may have to shoot an extra target or even let the non optic guy shoot first then engage, it would put some pressure on the no optic guy to hit on his/her first shot.

How about shooter with optic can’t start till non-optic shooter knocks off their first plate? That would be a true advantage to the shooter without optics.

My assumtion is that if you’re competing with an optic, you’re not a noob competitor. I realize that may not be a valid assumption as carry optics are becoming more common for those of us of mature age and diminishing eyesight. But certainly can’t remember any novice shooters showing up for bowling pin matches with a optic on a pistol.

Last edited:

cmann250

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 2, 2018
    Land of 300bu corn
    The true outlaw nature is what appeals to me. I personally don’t care if my 8+1 45acp 1911 with iron sights is up against a 33+1 9mm AR with an optic.

99/100, the carbine will be faster. But on that 1/100, there might be some trash talk :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FreeLand

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Sep 8, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Does optics really matter in ability to shoot? I've seen optics getting beat by iron sights.

With a rifle, I am noticeably faster with an optic compared to iron sights.

Also, never seen an open gun at a USPSA match with iron sights.

Final thought... your eye is naturally drawn to the brightest thing in your field of view. How many competitive shooters complain after a bad run while shooting iron sights “I wasn't concentrating on the front sight!” Not so much shooters using a red dot.

Tanfodude

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2012
    4 Seasons
    With a rifle, I am noticeably faster with an optic compared to iron sights.

Also, never seen an open gun at a USPSA match with iron sights.

Final thought... your eye is naturally drawn to the brightest thing in your field of view. How many competitive shooters complain after a bad run while shooting iron sights “I wasn't concentrating on the front sight!” Not so much shooters using a red dot.

Optics on rifles vs iron sights, yes, but on pistols, it's different. As for open guns, I've seen open shooters got beat in time with an iron sight shooter with guys like Alex Gutt and Jacob Herrington are capable of beating open shooter times, considering in production there are reloads.

As for that complaint on focusing on the front sight, I think it's more of aligning the front and rear rather than the front itself. For red dot, there's that paralax free thing. Also, can't really complain if you're missing with an optic, it'll just look bad on ya. :):

Robert Vogel can clean a plate rack in a crazy time with an iron sight.

Equipment matters, don't get me wrong, but it's 80% the operator rather than the equipment IMO.

Last edited:

FreeLand

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Sep 8, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Optics on rifles vs iron sights, yes, but on pistols, it's different. As for open guns, I've seen open shooters got beat in time with an iron sight shooter with guys like Alex Gutt and Jacob Herrington are capable of beating open shooter times, considering in production there are reloads.

As for that complaint on focusing on the front sight, I think it's more of aligning the front and rear rather than the front itself. For red dot, there's that paralax free thing. Also, can't really complain if you're missing with an optic, it'll just look bad on ya. :):

Robert Vogel can clean a plate rack in a crazy time with an iron sight.

Equipment matters, don't get me wrong, but it's 80% the operator rather than the equipment IMO.

I’m not sure I agree that red dots on pistols aren’t the same competitive advantage as they are on rifles. My unproven theory is that if two equally skilled shooters go up against each other, the one shooting the optic will win a higher percentage of stages compared to the competitor shooting iron sights.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    In the Carry Gun matches I run at Parabellum an Optic sight gun has yet to win the match out of more than a dozen chances. And there has been a dot or two there every time.

longbeard

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 15, 2013
    United States
    Optics have the advantage of no sight alignment, but this can be overcome by irons skill.

I'd say the challenge is less to do with what kind of gun than skill parity. In a small duel match it's hard to achieve. Extra targets help or with a star shooting the 4 o clock plate first can make it interesting.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Cloner

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 27, 2018
    Pittsboro
    OK as the guy poking the bear in this tread, I must say as an average shooter from 10 yards in I’m faster with my PPQ with iron sites. It is all muscle memory and getting my front fiber optic site on target with my PPQ. But going out 15+ yards with my old eyes my Q5 match with my optic will defiantly win. Basically I’m running same gun with iron sites vs. optic vs. distance vs. age. For a Texas star at 10-12 yard I call it a draw. Just my two cents.

browndog2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    No matter how handicapping ends up being handled, this should be a good event for the club.
    If this event ends up falling on a day that allows me to attend, I am looking forward to participating.
    Cudos to HPS for volunteering to be the match director.

E7Wrangler

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2016
    Central
    I like the idea of adding some extra targets for carbines and/or electronic sights. Shouldn't add much to set up or reset.

I also agree that regardless of handicapping or no handicapping I love the Texas Star Tuesday idea!

hps

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    Meeting this coming Tuesday. Looking forward to being able to post some updates on this new Texas Star match.

Top Bottom