Possibly Starting an AK project need some help identifying some parts.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tomahawkman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Aug 7, 2014
    Hamilton County
    Ok, I think I will be buying another AK here soon once I sell my Sig ( which is for sale in the classifieds BTW:):)

With this rifle I would like to do 1 of a few different options of which I have not decided on yet.

Option one,

I want to get the gas block style front sight, Cut the barrel back re thread and pin and weld a muzzle device on to bring it to length using the bone steel or CNC warrior extended 4 piece as pictured, Issue I have here is its out of stock both places and neither company will respond to my emails regarding their intention to restock. other than those 2 places it does not seem to be available anywhere else. That I know of? Does anyone know of any other manufacture who makes the EXTENDED version of this muzzle device and or does anyone have one lying around for sale? EDIT im seeing pictures of this and am not entirely sure how it attaches to the rifle, does it thread to the barrel its self or the gas block?

p8040808_zpsz7rgo2oe.jpg
    [/URL]

Option two,

Idk what muzzle device that is, it looks like an extended 74 brake, And I'm not sure its even available for 7.62x39 or who makes it, Also that front sight gas block looks different and since I'm no expert on AKs I'm clueless as to what it is and why the retention pin is offset.

Option three, At this point in time the most realistic option.

same concept but moving the front sight post back flush with gas block and cutting the barrel off there and pin and weld a 74 style 7.62x39 break on assuming that will bring it to legal length.

Input? suggestions? and useful info is apreciated.

(Ill take the comments from the purest who think I'm crazy, I've got one that'll be staying stock don't worry)

Last edited:

duffman0286

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Wayne Co
    Kvar/legion/ak buider are a couple other places to check but myself id wait for the cncwarrior to get them back in stock... The front sight block/gas block is better know as CR (compact rifle) which is unique to the AK-100 series carbine length rifles (both pictures are using a Bulgarian style CR gas/sight combo) the muzzle device attaches to the front sight/gas block which are threaded 24mm x 1.5.... the muzzle device retainer is off set because it has to be installed from the back end of frontsight/gasblock (its contains a plunger, spring, and is retained by a roll pin)

far as putting a standard front sight right against a gas block (just like a Hungarian AMD-65) sure its not hard at all and most ak74 front sights and there associated compensater should bring you to proper length (maybe however be more cost effective to just buy a AMD-65 barrel from ak-builder and install that the journals sizes are common between variants so all your barrel components should swap

Tomahawkman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Aug 7, 2014
    Hamilton County
    Found the barrel, So buying this barrel I would need to aquire or use the existing front sight post and then permantly attach the 74 style break would be proper length.

this being $109.00, what do you thing a gun smith would charge for the alternative to cut thread and pin the existing barrel? I had my 14.5 AR barrel perm attached cost me $50.00, im not sure what the average cost on cutting and threading is. Also what should one expect to pay to get a new barrel installed?

Barrels :: 14.375" AMD65 Black Nitrided 7.62 x 39 Barrel - AK-Builder.com

Light

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 9, 2012
    Near Fort Wayne
    Your option #1 and #2 are the same gas block, just two different muzzle devices. :yesway:
    Both devices thread onto the barrel which should be standard ak threading, and then are held in place by the spring-loaded retention pin better seen in your second picture.

duffman0286

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Wayne Co
    Found the barrel, So buying this barrel I would need to aquire or use the existing front sight post and then permantly attach the 74 style break would be proper length.

this being $109.00, what do you thing a gun smith would charge for the alternative to cut thread and pin the existing barrel? I had my 14.5 AR barrel perm attached cost me $50.00, im not sure what the average cost on cutting and threading is. Also what should one expect to pay to get a new barrel installed?

Barrels :: 14.375" AMD65 Black Nitrided 7.62 x 39 Barrel - AK-Builder.com
    I guess i should have asked what caliber is your rifle in that may change things a bit assuming its a 7.62x39 a amd barrel is the way to go

normally a amd barrel is 12in (ish) the 14 is one used if you want to use (with the amd's) standard muzzle break so keep that in mind off the top of my head i cant say for sure how much length you'll need out of the barrel for the device to bring it to 16in... (however ive seen it done quite alot so it must not be too far off) threading i can't help you on price i normally just do my own with a die, however remember that a amd barrel is threaded 14x1LH (which is fairly standard or a ak47/akm) so if your planing on using a ak74 front sight there will be less engagement (because the threaded portion will be undersized) but it should still be plenty to install a fsb securely or if you run a 14in you can trim the threaded portion off and recrown

if your rifle is 5.45x39 or 5.56x45 you can use a standard 74 or euro 5.56 barrel trimmed to length (no threading required because its on the fsb or combo fs/gb)

Tomahawkman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Aug 7, 2014
    Hamilton County
    The rifle will be 7.62x39,

I guess what I'm having a hard time understanding and possibly me causing some confusion with the pictures,

I know the 3rd option picture is a 74 but I won't be using 74 parts I'd be doing that with 47 parts. So my question is, if I were to purchase an RAS 47 can I have the amd barrel you mentioned, if I were to install an ak47 front sight base farther back as in the 3rd picture and use a 7.62x39 ak74 style break for example the tapco offering. In which the device would thread onto the barrel directly to achieve proper length should there be any "fitment issues" as long as I'm using all AK47 parts.

duffman0286

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Wayne Co
    The rifle will be 7.62x39,

I guess what I'm having a hard time understanding and possibly me causing some confusion with the pictures,

I know the 3rd option picture is a 74 but I won't be using 74 parts I'd be doing that with 47 parts. So my question is, if I were to purchase an RAS 47 can I have the amd barrel you mentioned, if I were to install an ak47 front sight base farther back as in the 3rd picture and use a 7.62x39 ak74 style break for example the tapco offering. In which the device would thread onto the barrel directly to achieve proper length should there be any "fitment issues" as long as I'm using all AK47 parts.

well believe it or not most ak47 and 74 parts will interchange with out too many issues (excluding a few countries such as china, Yugoslavia, and a handful of others (polish tantal/beryl) ).... most of these parts i have lying around so i can double check the journal sizing and get back with you but there are several barrel component charts with the ID sizing... yes there is nothing wrong with the ak74 compensator threaded for a AKM/ak47 (14x1LH)

the only possible issue i see is the profile of the barrel and where you choose to place your gas block/front sight (you may have to remove some material from the barrel) keep in mind k-var sells barrels and complete barrel assemblies for whatever clone your looking for (minus option 3) however there not always in stock... Keep a eye of price as well it may be more cost effective to buy a arsenal or other ak depending on what you choose.... i build my own ak's to suit my desires so im not always the best at gauging how much is invested in a build

Top Bottom