• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TTravis

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2011
    Plainfield / Mooresville
    I don't go to the post office often, but I went to the one in Greenwood on Smith Valley near the High School yesterday. I left my pistol in my truck and went in to do my business. I did not see a no firearms sticker anyplace I looked. Did I miss something? I have been busy lately and not keeping up with INGO but this seems like a big change to me. I did search for "post office" in this forum but did not see anything about it.

Tom Travis

Joniki

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NE Indiana
    There is an 8.5X11 sheet of paper on the wall. It says firearms are prohibited except for official business.

Kurr

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2011
    Jefferson County

Tab Bonidy, a Coloradan who lived in a rural area, felt that such a restriction violated his Second Amendment rights and brought suit against the US Postal Service. He claimed that the restriction was unconstitutional as applied to him because it violated his Second Amendment right to bring a gun into the post office and store a gun in his car while he picked up his mail. Mr. Bonidy lived in an area where he had to retrieve his mail from the post office as they did not deliver. The District Court held that the postal regulation prohibiting Mr. Bonidy from carrying his firearm into the post office was constitutional but the prohibition on storing a firearm in his car was not.

As you may have guessed, the Government wasn’t quite happy with that outcome, so it appealed the decision to the Tenth Circuit. The Tenth Circuit ruled that the parking lot adjacent to the actual building was considered postal property and as such, the post office could prohibit firearms from being stored in a vehicle. In part, it relied on language found in Heller which stated “nothing in our opinion should be taken to cast doubt on longstanding prohibitions…or laws forbidding the carrying of firearms in sensitive places such as schools and government buildings

I have considered it, since I carry a black powder pistol and under Federal Law it is not considered a firearm, as that is what we are dealing with, a Federal Law. However, I am NOT willing to be the test case and so I park across the street.

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    1 official looking poster
    1 Atty
    2 links
    1 official sounding circuit court ruling
    All sound good to me, and I do know what concealed means. And I’m not leaving/storing it anywhere but on my person.
    Guess that’s why I have a wife, I’m not going to tempt fate. I have carried in there several times in the past but never again after reading this. A felony that’s just BS. Why?

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    From what I understand they will hang yer butt high if they even find out you have it on their property.

..and am I correct that means you cannot (should not) leave it in your car when on the USPS parking lot?

A felony that’s just BS. Why?

Why? Have you heard the term Going Postal.

As I recall some mailmen were shooting up folks so instead of dealing with mailmen with bad intentions they denied law abiding citizens the right to carry.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    1 official looking poster
    1 Atty
    2 links
    1 official sounding circuit court ruling
    All sound good to me, and I do know what concealed means. And I’m not leaving/storing it anywhere but on my person.
    Guess that’s why I have a wife, I’m not going to tempt fate. I have carried in there several times in the past but never again after reading this. A felony that’s just BS. Why?
    Control.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Didn't fact check but this came up on a quick search...

Postal.jpg

Kurr

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2011
    Jefferson County
    A felony that’s just BS. Why?
    As Kirk Freeman said, not the BASE CHARGE is a Federal Class A Misdemeanor.

A Class A misdemeanor is punishable by the maximum fine and jail time for a misdemeanor: up to one year in jail and up to $100,000 in fines. If a crime has a longer sentence than one year, it is considered a felony. A misdemeanor may also be classified as a felony in the case of aggravating factors, which depend on your jurisdiction.

There are also mitigating factors that may reduce your sentence. Mitigating factors include your mental state, if this is your first offense, or if you played only a minor role in the overall crime.

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    Ya, I opened a link to a USPS poster thought it said something about a felony. It’s gone now, prob. a mistake on my part.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    I have a mailbox.
    Nothing good seems to ever be put into it. I take that back my flashlight came in it within the last year.

I have not been in a post office since before the Covid hit.

Top Bottom