• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OneShotFOGE

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2013
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Im starting to shop around for a chest rig / belt, something and am curious what other people use. Open to advice or recommendations as well.

Bonus internet points for pics!

Car Ramrod

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Westfield
    What kind of set up are you looking for? Anything and everything you can carry? Defensive rifle? Defensive shotgun? Basic KISS? Patrol rig?

I just ordered the parts and pouches for mine, but I am keeping them simple. They will be set up as defensive rigs.

This is what I am planning on running, but may change some things around once I have everything in hand.

Rifle rig:
    6 AR mags
    -2 double stack pouches
    -2 kangaroo pouches
    2 pistol mags
    -front of the kangaroo pouches
    IFAK
    -tear off
    Gerber Prodigy fixed blade
    -secured to shoulder strap
    Gerber Suspension Multi-tool
    Spare cr123 batteries
    Flashlight is still undecided, but probably Streamlight Polytac

Shotgun rig:
    25 00
    25 slugs
    -2 25 round holders
    4 pistol mags
    -2 double pouches
    IFAK
    -tear off
    Gerber Prodigy fixed blade
    -secured to shoulder strap
    Gerber Suspension Multi-tool
    Spare cr123 batteries
    Flashlight is still undecided, but probably Streamlight Polytac

diablo750

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2013
    Middletown
    a little research

I did a little research into this. Mostly what I read was on the military stuff. They use a kevlar vest which can stop some small arms fire (mostly handgun rounds) and fragmentation. If there is a need for additional protection they add plates (ceramic). Typically is a 4 plate system 2 side plates and 2 chest plates. There are 2 types currently used; the sapi and esapi. I believe the sapi is capable of stopping up to a 7.65x51 round and the esapi goes even higher. Of course they also have molle on them to customize it to the situation. I like their system for 2 reasons, its modular and you can get the stuff at a decent price sometimes. I suspect the reason the price isn't too bad is that vets are selling the stuff they were issued or had to buy to get some quick cash. This is what I've found so far. I'll be following this thread to see addition information.

ctbreitwieser

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    DuCo.
    The one the left is my "Go To Gear" and the set up on the right my backup or for anyone who may be joining me. Both of the plate carriers are Eagle Industries. The one on the left has a chest rig with 8 single mag pouches, and an unknown brand leg rig with pistol mag pouches. The one on the right is just the plate carrier with some double mag pouches that fit single ak mags nicely. Both carriers are kevlar lined in the inside.

2013-03-09_13-29-13_886_zps242e38de.jpg

OneShotFOGE

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2013
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Well, Im still trying to figure out exactly what I want. I will carry a "defensive rifle." Is that a new term? Ive heard it a couple times this week and I like it. I would bring my AR or AK depending on the situation. I would like to have room for several AR (or AK) mags, my pistol, couple extra pistol mags, and a place for a flashlight and some extra batteries, just to get started. I would probably like something that has kevlar in it. Not sure what is typical on the price of that but I suppose what it costs, it would be worth it to survive a couple rounds down the road :)

@ctbreitwieser: Bonus points for the pics! I like your set ups. Thanks for posting.

Last edited:

N8RV

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 8, 2012
    Peoria
    Just an observation for your consideration: Get what is useful and practical (depending on your mission, as has been said), not what looks cool.

I say that because I was at a course once where people showed up with all kinds of gear -- minimal to tacticool. A few had military surplus gear that was ill-suited for the course, which became obvious when they had to run and mags were flying everywhere and holsters were waving in the breeze! They were unnecessarily burdened and had to dump a lot of gear just to do the class.

Will you really need 6 AR mags and a half-dozen pistol mags to run a basic carbine course? If you sign up for a 3-day survival skills course and don't bring a knife, will you feel under-dressed?

Dress for success. Take only what you need to get the job done.

Car Ramrod

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Westfield
    Well, Im still trying to figure out exactly what I want. I will carry a "defensive rifle." Is that a new term? Ive heard it a couple times this week and I like it.
    I was referring to the rig, not the rifle. It will be a defensive, rifle rig. The other a defensive, shotgun rig.

OneShotFOGE

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2013
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Just an observation for your consideration: Get what is useful and practical (depending on your mission, as has been said), not what looks cool.

I say that because I was at a course once where people showed up with all kinds of gear -- minimal to tacticool. A few had military surplus gear that was ill-suited for the course, which became obvious when they had to run and mags were flying everywhere and holsters were waving in the breeze! They were unnecessarily burdened and had to dump a lot of gear just to do the class.

Will you really need 6 AR mags and a half-dozen pistol mags to run a basic carbine course? If you sign up for a 3-day survival skills course and don't bring a knife, will you feel under-dressed?

Dress for success. Take only what you need to get the job done.
    Good point. No use in bring mags if they are going to be falling out the first time you have to run.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Chest rigs are for people expecting battle. Do you know how to fight? Or have you just taken your rifle to a range and think your ready to play soldier? Do you have formal training? Do you have the right mindset? I'm thinking if shtf I'm gonna be able to pick and choose which chest rig I wanna pick up off the ground or the dead. Get training.

OneShotFOGE

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2013
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Chest rigs are for people expecting battle. Do you know how to fight? Or have you just taken your rifle to a range and think your ready to play soldier? Do you have formal training? Do you have the right mindset? I'm thinking if shtf I'm gonna be able to pick and choose which chest rig I wanna pick up off the ground or the dead. Get training.
    Very good point. I have no military experience or any training. I have been to the range several times with my guns. That is the extent of it. I am still new to this survival mindset and am trying to get better prepped. Thanks for the advice. I will look into training.

Vic_Mackey

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Beastside
    I'm running an Interceptor OTV with USGI SAPI plates and arm and side panels, IFAK kit, 18 mag pouches, will be more when I get around to putting then on. Haven't mounted the shotshell holders, the camelback, and am debating on using a scabbard for my Mossberg when I finish my AR and it goes to secondary. I also want to find a MOLLE promask carrier for my M40 as opposed to the thigh rig. I've been thinking about painting my otv carrier od green since I cannot find a nice one for cheap.

Pics_Art_1363704869444.jpg

ctbreitwieser

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    DuCo.

This is very good information. Chest rigs are something you need you need to be very familiar with as far as how you have it set up. Its not something you throw together that looks cool, but then when it comes time to throw it on for the real deal, you realize you can't reach your mags, can't shoulder your rifle or get good eye releif, or it end up being too heavy or bulky. Become familiar with your mag pouch locations so you can reach down, grab one, and load your rifle without having to look down and see what your doing. Repititions of magazine loading drills will make you more confident and more deadly in a survival situation.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I'm running an Interceptor OTV with USGI SAPI plates and arm and side panels, IFAK kit, 18 mag pouches, will be more when I get around to putting then on. Haven't mounted the shotshell holders, the camelback, and am debating on using a scabbard for my Mossberg when I finish my AR and it goes to secondary. I also want to find a MOLLE promask carrier for my M40 as opposed to the thigh rig. I've been thinking about painting my otv carrier od green since I cannot find a nice one for cheap.

Is this serious or were you joking? 18 AR-15 mags, and shotgun shells? Are you saying that you also have an M40 gas mask? You confused me and I hope you're kidding.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Very good point. I have no military experience or any training. I have been to the range several times with my guns. That is the extent of it. I am still new to this survival mindset and am trying to get better prepped. Thanks for the advice. I will look into training.

If you've never used a chest rig I wouldn't buy one until you do. There's a lot out there and they all have their merits. I've got a few rigs laying around the house.

Old School rig:

I've got one like this at the house that I haven't used since I got out of basic training. It's cheap, simple, strong and reliable. Suspenders a good belt, mag pouches and canteens. If you want to get fancy add a butt pack to hold more bs you probably won't need as much. I setup a rig like this back when I had an AR-10 in 308 and pouches for those kinds of mags were hard to come by. If you use a regular GI m16 3 mag pouch and turn your 308 mags sideways you'll get two mags per pouch. Not perfect, but plenty serviceable.

Not-so old school / not-so new school:

This is what I had back in the day. Holds 6 aluminum sizes mags, but you won't get pmags to fit in the pouchs the same way. It's more comfortable that the reeally old school alice and generally speaking it's pretty good quality but not perfect by any stretch. Add a belt and put anything you want on it. I've got one at the house setup exactly like what I had while I was in the sandbox just because. I've spent a lot of time in one of these and trained with it, so if I ever went into harms way, or knew for sure it was coming my way it's something I'd consider because I've used it and I'm comfortable using it.

New School:
    miniakm.jpg

The picture above is an "Original SOE" M4/AK micro rig. I bought one of these for an AK that I used to have and have long since sold. This piece of gear and anything I've ever seen made by OSOE is absolutely the best gear I'd ever consider betting my life on. It really is bombproof. Holding an OSOE piece of gear in your hands will instantly show you the level of quality that you've got. There's so much chinese knocked off bs out there that's built like crap that it blows my mind that people even buy it. You owe it to yourself to consider one of these rigs if you think there's even a slight chance that you'll ever do more with it than goof off at the range.

Of the three I've mentioned and listed above, I'd feel comfortable in any of them because I've used them all quite a bit. Each has it's advantages and disadvantages. Don't let anyone tell you that their newest wiz bang setup is the greatest in the world and everything else sucks. Also don't let people tell that surplus gear is crap. Lots of GI's beat up that gear every day worse than many here ever will and it holds up just fine.

Anyway, I hope that's some food for thought for you, with internet bonus points for pretty pictures.

WETSU

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Here's the rigs that I run:

e193964b-4163-4dd8-87ac-d09859f2d8c7_zpsd38e724c.jpg

This one is my "heavy rig". All SOE manufacture, 8 AK or M4 mags. 90% of the time I roll with AK mags. This is their AK/M4 chest rig. It has an inside admin pouch to carry map/light/markers/tools etc. It has two side pockets that carry a radio and more stuff for a 2nd person. Med pouch is SOE, non-tear off, with a CAT mounted on the side. Smoke pouch is SOE, utility pouch is TT. Hydration carrier is SOE. Strobe pouch is SOE. The entire set up is adjustable and typically worn over an Eagle slick plate carrier stuffed with ceramic plates and level III soft.

15a3c7ce-ad84-46a2-bdb1-6b9b950a450c_zps4fd56491.jpg

These next two are also SOE . The little guy is my low pro WETSU concealed carrier. I can wear it under clothes and it hides well. It holds one AK or M4 mag, a blow out kit, and a pistol mag or pocket smoke/CS. Admin pouch behind is big enough to carry a single curve 8x8 steel plate. Very minimal.

The chest rig next to it is SOE's PALs microrig. I like their microrig, but I wanted mine set up to my specs, so I used the PALs platform to build one out of Rallyman pouches and a tear off IFAK. This is my "light rig". It carries 4 AK mags or 6 M4 mags, smoke, pocket CS, and med kit. Also with an admin pouch behind, set up like my heavy rig. I keep my rigs set up as much the same as possible.

After many years and lots of heavy use, I switched everything out to SOE gear a couple years ago and never looked back. I am very, very hard on my gear. I run it hard. SOE holds up to the punishment I dish out. Zero regrets.

Vic_Mackey

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Beastside
    Is this serious or were you joking? 18 AR-15 mags, and shotgun shells? Are you saying that you also have an M40 gas mask? You confused me and I hope you're kidding.

I'm as serious as a heart attack.
    IMG_20130106_011552_795.jpg

Why would you hope I'm kidding? I carried the same setup and then some when I worked overseas. If you think chest rigs are for anything other than carrying your max in ammo then you're looking at the wrong stuff. Everything on your vest/chest pack should be functional and used. I was/am a shooter. If I'm going to throw down, I'm doing it the way I know how. With lots of ammo and lots of protection.

Vic_Mackey

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Beastside
    Here's the rigs that I run:

e193964b-4163-4dd8-87ac-d09859f2d8c7_zpsd38e724c.jpg

This one is my "heavy rig". All SOE manufacture, 8 AK or M4 mags. 90% of the time I roll with AK mags. This is their AK/M4 chest rig. It has an inside admin pouch to carry map/light/markers/tools etc. It has two side pockets that carry a radio and more stuff for a 2nd person. Med pouch is SOE, non-tear off, with a CAT mounted on the side. Smoke pouch is SOE, utility pouch is TT. Hydration carrier is SOE. Strobe pouch is SOE. The entire set up is adjustable and typically worn over an Eagle slick plate carrier stuffed with ceramic plates and level III soft.

15a3c7ce-ad84-46a2-bdb1-6b9b950a450c_zps4fd56491.jpg

These next two are also SOE . The little guy is my low pro WETSU concealed carrier. I can wear it under clothes and it hides well. It holds one AK or M4 mag, a blow out kit, and a pistol mag or pocket smoke/CS. Admin pouch behind is big enough to carry a single curve 8x8 steel plate. Very minimal.

The chest rig next to it is SOE's PALs microrig. I like their microrig, but I wanted mine set up to my specs, so I used the PALs platform to build one out of Rallyman pouches and a tear off IFAK. This is my "light rig". It carries 4 AK mags or 6 M4 mags, smoke, pocket CS, and med kit. Also with an admin pouch behind, set up like my heavy rig. I keep my rigs set up as much the same as possible.

After many years and lots of heavy use, I switched everything out to SOE gear a couple years ago and never looked back. I am very, very hard on my gear. I run it hard. SOE holds up to the punishment I dish out. Zero regrets.

I'm digging the micro rig! I've been looking for an Allied Industries otv, but the ones I can find are STUPID expensive. Wish I'd never turned mine in and faked a combat loss, those setups are over 2k with the PACA lowviz body armor

Top Bottom