• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pjcalla

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Hamilton County
    With the recent news in Japan about the nuclear reactors melting down, where can someone purchase Potassium Iodide? I know I should have been more prepared, but I am more concerned about my brother, his wife and newborn that live in Northern California. I checked online, but figured it would take a long time to ship (especially where they live).

I recommended they call the hospital to see if they have some. Would drug stores/pharmacies have this in stock?

Any help would be much appreciated.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    talk them into moving out of california. that would be my top concern. lol.

you might have a hard time finding it now, since the last minute panic stricken hoarders will buy up all they can get, even though 99% will never need it. a couple people on here already said amazon.com was already sold out. theres a guy at the 1500 that usually has some, but probly a mass amount of idiots will bum rush his table and you wont find any there either. Im not trying to be insinsitive about your family, but I highly doubt they have anything to wory about with the radiation. They are more likely to fall into the ocean. If they are at risk, they will be able to count on the government to help them.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Some drug stores carry it if one needs it same day.
    Also, lots of places online if they're not already out of stock.
    Amazon sold out on Saturday.

http://www.cvs.com/
    Anbex Inc. - Manufacturers and distributors of IOSAT
    Iosat? Potassium Iodide

Sometimes I feel like Google doesn't work for anyone but me.

I'm guessing 6 days or so for stuff to reach CA after release in JP. Maybe 10-14 days to here. Whether it ever does or not or in significant amounts or not depends on the weather and the decay rates of whatever is released.

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    CVS stores don't seem to carry it on the shelf. I talked with a pharmacist this morning in Hamilton County. He checked with their wholesaler for me and they were out of stock, with no date listed for availability.

Here is some joker selling a $10 batch of IOSAT for $99: Amazon.com: iOSAT Potassium Iodide Tablets, 130 mg (14 Tablets): Health & Personal Care

Might also try looking for ThyroSafe or ThyroShield. They appear to be the only EPA approved versions, fwiw.

Osobuco

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Sep 4, 2010
    With the recent news in Japan about the nuclear reactors melting down, where can someone purchase Potassium Iodide? .

Unfortunately potassium iodide (KI) is only good if you are exposed to radioactive Iodine - It will not do crap if you are exposed to any other rasioisotope such as plutonium, uranium, cesium, etc.

Also, the only think KI does is protect your thyroid.

bigus_D

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Country Side
    FYI: I have a two week supply of KI for my family of three.

PM me if you would like to purchase it. Current mark-up = 10X my purchase price. FTF, Indianapolis north side.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Unfortunately potassium iodide (KI) is only good if you are exposed to radioactive Iodine - It will not do crap if you are exposed to any other rasioisotope such as plutonium, uranium, cesium, etc.

Also, the only think KI does is protect your thyroid.
    And because radioactive iodine was one of the main components vented to the atmosphere, KI will protect those exposed up to a certain degree.

KI isn't a miracle pill by any means, but it does help the thyroid which is the main concern with the lower levels of exposure.

Top Bottom