Potentially dumb question about the lack of firearms chambered in 357 mag.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Spazzmodicus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 5, 2011
    Jeffersonville, IN
    I realize that some of you knowledgeable guys are into firearms so much that you probably sprinkle gunpowder on your Wheaties in the morning, and have for a long time. But for others like me, it takes a while to aquire knowledge about ammunition, different cartridges, types of powder, grains of this and that, etc. especially when firearms aren't necessarily a hobby. It's turning into that for me, but it hasn't been in the past. Been around guns a long time. Just never really been infatuated enough to devour all and any firearms info available, like some.

So the answer to my question may be quite obvious to you. It still escapes me though, even after asking a number of seemingly knowledgeable people.

The best SHTF rifle would be one which has ammo that's usable by my handguns. But there's a third catch: I want to hunt deer too. That leaves only the .357 mag (in the state of Indiana)

I'm a Sig Sauer man and can convert one of my Sigs to .357 Mag, hence the reason I'm not too interested in 44 mag.

Here's the question: Why are there no AR's and such chambered in .357 mag? I don't want to be a freakin' cowboy with a lever action. I would think an AR chambered in .357 mag would be popular with the hunting crowd. Not sure if it's a matter of that particular cartridge defeating the purpose and design of the AR or what. But I'm noticing a big gap in the rifle world right now. What gives?

Here's my source for state hunting regs: http://www.in.gov/dnr/fishwild/files/fw-Deer_Hunting_Equipment.pdf

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    I realize that some of you knowledgeable guys are into firearms so much that you probably sprinkle gunpowder on your Wheaties in the morning, and have for a long time. But for others like me, it takes a while to aquire knowledge about ammunition, different cartridges, types of powder, grains of this and that, etc. especially when firearms aren't necessarily a hobby. It's turning into that for me, but it hasn't been in the past. Been around guns a long time. Just never really been infatuated enough to devour all and any firearms info available, like some.

So the answer to my question may be quite obvious to you. It still escapes me though, even after asking a number of seemingly knowledgeable people.

The best SHTF rifle would be one which has ammo that's usable by my handguns. But there's a third catch: I want to hunt deer too. That leaves only the .357 mag (in the state of Indiana)

I'm a Sig Sauer man and can convert one of my Sigs to .357 Mag, hence the reason I'm not too interested in 44 mag.

Here's the question: Why are there no AR's and such chambered in .357 mag? I don't want to be a freakin' cowboy with a lever action. I would think an AR chambered in .357 mag would be popular with the hunting crowd. Not sure if it's a matter of that particular cartridge defeating the purpose and design of the AR or what. But I'm noticing a big gap in the rifle world right now. What gives?

Here's my source for state hunting regs: http://www.in.gov/dnr/fishwild/files/fw-Deer_Hunting_Equipment.pdf

The SIG auto shoot 357 SIG not 357 MAGNUM. The reason you don't see too many 357 MAGNUM auto, is because of the rim, you can stack to many in a magazine.

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    I guess you got a point. Like I said, I'm in the red when it comes to ammo knowledge. I forgot about the 357 Sig. Duh!

There are a couple of autos that shoot 357 MAGNUM, I have a COONAN 357 MAG, other guns that shoot the 357 MAG is DESERT EAGLE, GRIZZLY, the reason I bought the COONAN is because it's smaller than the other two brand names above;)

fireball168

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Clinton
    Wouldn't be any problem making a .357 SIG AR upper, at all. Either blowback or gas operated.

I wouldn't be surprised if Ron Williams was making them right now.

Spazzmodicus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 5, 2011
    Jeffersonville, IN
    The SIG auto shoot 357 SIG not 357 MAGNUM. The reason you don't see too many 357 MAGNUM auto, is because of the rim, you can stack to many in a magazine.

That makes sense. But still, that didn't prevent a few popular models from being made with only a 5 round clip or so. But like you say, the rim probably presents more problems than it's worth in light of the availability of all other chamberings and such. The Hoosier deer hunter is a wide-open market niche that somebody could be capitalizing on in 357 mag-based rifle sales.

Edit: and by "a few popular models" I meant popular war rifles, for example.

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    I like how shtf fantasy guns all have to be black, but they still want to abide by indiana hunting laws lol.

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    Obviously because black is the sneakiest color, and you'll have to be sneaking 24/7 when SHTF. But in the meanwhile (read: the entire rest of your life) you'll want them to double as actual functional guns.

tgallmey

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 11, 2011
    New Haven
    well 357 has a rimmed casing which kinda makes it a pain to make auto loader feed reliably it took years in development for the desert eagle to work properly

neraph

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 7, 2009
    well 357 has a rimmed casing which kinda makes it a pain to make auto loader feed reliably it took years in development for the desert eagle to work properly

There is a .357 rimless magnum that can be formed from .223 brass. There have even been ARs chambered for it.
    AR15BARRELS.COM - 357 Rimless Mag

You may even be able to use it in a revolver using moon clips if you don't load the pressure too high.

Spazzmodicus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 5, 2011
    Jeffersonville, IN
    There are a couple of autos that shoot 357 MAGNUM, I have a COONAN 357 MAG, other guns that shoot the 357 MAG is DESERT EAGLE, GRIZZLY, the reason I bought the COONAN is because it's smaller than the other two brand names above;)

After also seeing that there was a "Coonan Cadet" as well once upon a time, also 357 mag 1911, I looked around on the 'Net and behold....Coonan is retooled up and back in business putting out the Coonan 357 mag 1911 once again.

I emailed them to ask about production resuming of the Cadet. Their response was: "We will be re-introducing the Coonan Compact (f/k/a Cadet) later this year."

I wrote back and asked about the possibility of a 357 mag-based upper receiver for the AR. Their reply was: "We have talked about a carbine version, but we are not ready to put any development time into it until next year."

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    After also seeing that there was a "Coonan Cadet" as well once upon a time, also 357 mag 1911, I looked around on the 'Net and behold....Coonan is retooled up and back in business putting out the Coonan 357 mag 1911 once again.

I emailed them to ask about production resuming of the Cadet. Their response was: "We will be re-introducing the Coonan Compact (f/k/a Cadet) later this year."

I wrote back and asked about the possibility of a 357 mag-based upper receiver for the AR. Their reply was: "We have talked about a carbine version, but we are not ready to put any development time into it until next year."

My brother had a Coonan many years ago. It was an interesting gun and as I recall very reliable. He carried it with 125 grain Federal JHPs. It was a large gun, but my brother is a big guy. Makes it a bit more interesting that he now carries a Glock 26.

Top Bottom