Potting soil as a "sand barrel" for handguns?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I'm convinced of the upside of having a sand barrel, but aesthetically I'm not sure it would go in my office.

Potentially silly question, but wouldn't a large potted plant serve the purpose of a sand barrel? I'm thinking 20" or so of potting soil should be plenty to stop a .45 if it came to that.

Overthinking it probably, but everyone always says "sand" and never "dirt" barrel, and all the ones at the ranges are full of sand or that super hard rubber that's supposed to catch the bullet.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Oh, I'm sure I could test it on my rural land. I'm just looking to not reinvent the wheel if the knowledge is already out there.

wolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    S Side Indy
    Try this, then decide for yourself. Take 2 paper cups, punch a couple of small holes in the bottom of each, fill one with with potting soil, the other with sand, add enough water to fill each cup up then allow all of the water to drain out, then see how far and easily you can push your finger down into each. I think you will find that shooting into potting soil wouldn't turn out very well, and a bucket of damp sand is your friend.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I do see potential problems.

While a properly filled and packed flower pot of dirt, I think it would be more than sufficient to stop even a .45acp, I wonder for how long.

If you have plants growing in the pot, the roots will naturally displace the dirt and create voids.
    The dirt will also tend to dry out unless properly hydrated.

Yes, I believe a pot of dirt would suffice to stop a round. The caveat is it would require maintenance.

Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>
    I guess a stack of phone books wouldn't be too aesthetically pleasing either, huh? :):
    I wonder if sand is popular for those barrels because there's more friction/stopping power in sand than in soil/dirt? :dunno:

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    You could always try lining the pot with coil stock of sheet metal to help facilitate a stop.

The bullet would then need to pass through the pot, coiled sheet steel, plastic/rubber liner, potting soil and plant, then out the other side.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    You could always try lining the pot with coil stock of sheet metal to help facilitate a stop.

The bullet would then need to pass through the pot, coiled sheet steel, plastic/rubber liner, potting soil and plant, then out the other side.

I've got access to chunks of telephone pole. I could put a 12" slab of telephone pole in the bottom of the pot and as long as I aimed straight down for clearing I think that would be plenty of back stop. The wood would definitely stop the bullet and the dirt on top would stop any splinters from flying out.

Hmmm...that's probably smarter than just relying on dirt. You've got a good point about it requiring maintenance, so even a simple test wouldn't be real proof of the same effect while the soil is dry or full of plant roots.

Beorn

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 4, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Potting soil would be a vey poor substitute compared to sand for stopping a bullet. Most potting soils are a mixture of different loamy materials which allow the roots of plants to disperse easily.

If you have ever picked up a bag of sand or potting soil, which do you think you could punch a hole through faster with your fist.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Why not put a circular AR-500 target in the bottom with the soil on top. IF the round made it through the soil (which I don't think it would) it's not penetrating the AR-500.

herby31

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 8, 2010
    fort wayne
    Its all about the density of the pack. I think the usmc taught me that 3 sandbags of packed dirt were required to do the same job as one bag of sand, because the sand particles fit together tighter. I distinctly remember an instructor firing rounds into ammo cans full of dirt, water, and sand. I decided i'd hide behind a sand filled object as my first choice.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Try this, then decide for yourself. Take 2 paper cups, punch a couple of small holes in the bottom of each, fill one with with potting soil, the other with sand, add enough water to fill each cup up then allow all of the water to drain out, then see how far and easily you can push your finger down into each. I think you will find that shooting into potting soil wouldn't turn out very well, and a bucket of damp sand is your friend.

Totally this^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Top Bottom