Potty training tips and help for toddler girl!!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    We bought our little one some fancy pink underwear (with unicorns) and let her know that she could wear them as soon as she didn't need pull ups. She had been totally resisting "the potty" for months before. Didn't even like the potty chair. Didn't care about any threats, and didn't care about any rewards. But once she saw those undies..... Problem solved itself in a few weeks.

We eventually figured out she didn't like the "splash" and didn't like wiping. She is REAL "yuck adverse". So, that took a while to help her deal with.

Her only "accident" was waiting too long while outside playing, and then not making it to the bathroom. It HORRIFIED her, and never happened again.

My only advice is to find the right reward, and then put it wholly on her plate. Accidents are her's to deal with, and no big deal otherwise. Doing it correctly is also no big deal, other than 100% earning the reward.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    One of my daughters was big into Minnie Mouse. My mother in law bought her a couple packs of Minnie Mouse underwear. My daughter was so excited and immediately put them on. She never had an accident again. A few weeks later, we were commenting on how she stopped having accidents, and my mother in law explained what had solved the problem. As my daughter was putting on her underwear and jabbering about Minnie Mouse, my mother in law told her, "If you pee on Minnie, she will bite you".

I'm not saying it was a great idea, but it worked!

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    We got a little gum ball machine and filled it with M&M's and put a bowl of pennies on the back of the toilet. Every time they went to the bathroom they got to get some candy. Worked pretty well.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    This reminds me of a time when I tipped the balance in potty training a strong willed little girl. As it were, she could go places with me and her older sister, but she wanted to be able to go by herself and have my undivided attention like her sister could (I was somewhat like the uncle who was more fun than the parents). I explained to her that boys and girls don't go to the bathroom together, so we couldn't do that until she could go by herself. She had it down to a science within a few days.

historian

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    SD by residency, Hoosier by heart
    For our two oldest, it was a matter of necessity, as there was a newborn when it was time. Our son spent a lot of time on the training potty with a kindle in his lap, but it worked for him. We made him sit to pee for the next year or so before teaching him to stand an pee. That did wonders for cleaning and our sanity. Our daughter caught on really well with few accidents.

Our youngest on the other hand...she doesn't mind peeing on her leg and tells us too late that she needs to do a stinky.

JollyMon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    Going through this right now and as other said its the kids that really decide when they are ready. For us it was over chirstmas break and not sure what it was (my MIL bribing with Popsicle or a doll that pottys on the potty ) but basically overnight we went from not really using it at all (she wasnt scared, she just didnt care) to doing it all the time. We have a few mistakes here and there but she can make it through the night and normally stays dry throughout the day.... though we constantly need to ask her and she will still say no when I know its not true.

The same thing happened with my cousin where her daughter basically came up to her one day and said that he didnt want to wear diapers anymore, and that was the end.

I wouldnt force it on them. Make it a game, make it exciting, reward them, and eventually they will decide on their own.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    My daughter turns 5 in 1 days... has been trained for about two years now. Less than a handful of actual accidents. Like maybe 4 in those two years. It worked pretty well. Did it during one summer while mom (teacher) was off work. Set a timer - and she got put on the kid potty for a few minutes every hour. And every #1 was rewarded by a few M&Ms. Ever #2 was rewarded with MORE M&Ms than the #1. We kept her in a pullup for overnights for several more months. Only about 20% of those were ever wet in the morning. Now if we could just teach her that she needs to wipe better...and not use 1/3 roll of TP per trip that'd be great.

On the other hand... Turns 3 in 5 days. He has ZERO interest in learning. He's at daycare all the time with several others his age - some of whom are already trained. He witnesses it - and still doesn't want anything to do with it. He's also quite intelligent (if I do say so myself...ahem). But he's also one of the most stubborn people I've ever met. He gets that trait from all of his grandparents, I just know it. When the time comes, we'll also probably teach him how to get things done while sitting down. Move on to the more difficult task later when he can physically handle it. Yes, pun intended.

paintman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Dec 3, 2011
    new castle indiana
    ^^^ my son is the same. as easy as it was to get it done with my daughter it is total opposite with my son. its not a nightmare or any thing but he has had to be spanked several times and set on the potty till he goes. not sure why (except I will admit his attitude comes from me) but he just doesn't want to. he will be 3 in may. but slowly it is working. I hope in the spring when we can be outside more often the same trick I used with my daughter will work for him.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Oh yeah, wiping :facepalm: Now this was a punishment situation; he was quite old enough to know better. He wouldn't use the toilet paper, wouldn't use the nice cleansing wipes, he kept wiping his butt on my towel. Didn't take me more than once finding that when I came out of the shower. I also had him sit to pee (supermom had enough to do) "but the teacher say girls sit down and boys stand up" "that's fine for her toilet, is she going to come home with you and clean mine for me?" "no..." "well, at home you sit." Of course, if it had been his second grade teacher she could have come over, I wouldn't even have made her clean the toilet.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    My daughter turns 5 in 1 days... has been trained for about two years now. Less than a handful of actual accidents. Like maybe 4 in those two years. It worked pretty well. Did it during one summer while mom (teacher) was off work. Set a timer - and she got put on the kid potty for a few minutes every hour. And every #1 was rewarded by a few M&Ms. Ever #2 was rewarded with MORE M&Ms than the #1. We kept her in a pullup for overnights for several more months. Only about 20% of those were ever wet in the morning. Now if we could just teach her that she needs to wipe better...and not use 1/3 roll of TP per trip that'd be great.

On the other hand... Turns 3 in 5 days. He has ZERO interest in learning. He's at daycare all the time with several others his age - some of whom are already trained. He witnesses it - and still doesn't want anything to do with it. He's also quite intelligent (if I do say so myself...ahem). But he's also one of the most stubborn people I've ever met. He gets that trait from all of his grandparents, I just know it. When the time comes, we'll also probably teach him how to get things done while sitting down. Move on to the more difficult task later when he can physically handle it. Yes, pun intended.

This is a great idea to train little ones on what length to pull the TP before tearing off. Not my idea but I'm planning on stealing it for my Grandkids too. I think Mrs Glue will insist on a different color of tape though.

Top Bottom