• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HamYankee

Expert
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Jan 24, 2014
    Hendricks County
    I have been thinking of getting another AK, FNX-45, a suppressor, or maybe a SCAR 17.
    What keeps me from going in on a SCAR 17 besides the total cost is I'm not sure what role it would fill. It's a bit much for home protection in the suburbs. I suppose it would function best with a variable power scope. But, I'm not sure what it would do that I couldn't do with an AK, AR, or M1A. Perhaps the SCAR is all three in one.

Last edited:

Tula47

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Jun 28, 2013
    Knox Co.
    I have been thinking of getting another AK, FNX-45, a suppressor, or maybe a SCAR 17.
    What keeps me from going in on a SCAR 17 besides the total cost is I'm not sure what role it would fill. It's a bit much for home protection in the suburbs. I suppose it would function best with a variable power scope. But, I'm not sure what it would do that I couldn't do with an AK, AR, or M1A. Perhaps the SCAR is all three in one.

It is all of the above, it's pretty light weight even in .308 easy to handle and feels nice in the hand. You would be hard pressed to find an AR that could hold a candle to a SCAR. The only reason I sold mine is I tend to collect more than shoot anymore and I can buy a couple of nice surplus guns for the same money

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    It is all of the above, it's pretty light weight even in .308 easy to handle and feels nice in the hand. You would be hard pressed to find an AR that could hold a candle to a SCAR. The only reason I sold mine is I tend to collect more than shoot anymore and I can buy a couple of nice surplus guns for the same money

I see what you mean, that looks like an AR-10, on Steriods .....

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I have, and love a my SCAR 17, but agree there is nothing it can do that an AK, or AR, or M1A cant do. I have it because it can do the job of all 3 in 1 package.

Its got the thump of an AK with the accuracy of an M1A, while being compact like an AR. To me its not that the SCAR does 1 job perfectly, its that it does all jobs well. Jack of all trades type thinking.

Jake226

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 7, 2012
    Bloomington
    I'm on my fourth Scar now...its a vicious cycle for me. I wanted one so I traded and saved up and got my first. After a year or so realized I didn't have a good place to really "flex" it's capabilities (all of my ranges are <200 yds) so I sold it. A few months later I started lusting after one again. And so the cycle repeats itself. I will say one thing...if you pay 2500$ or less you won't get your feelings hurt if you change your mind and want to trade it or sell it. This most recent one I found on the classifieds with the geiselle trigger and 7 mags for 2400$ I thought that was a pretty good deal. Right now prices are high because of the promotion FN ran on them and supplies are low. If you wait you should be able to get one again for under 2300$ if you look hard enough.

To answer your question I don't think they do anything better necessarily than the other options you listed when you're talking normal benchrest or average hobby use. It is lighter than an M1A and has a much softer recoil when the PWS brake is used. I think they're really only worth it if you get all giddy when you pick one up. I happen to.

The recoil impulse on the 17 is fun too....very unique with that huge bolt carrier group. If you're lucky enough to have access to a longer range then i would imagine they would only be more fun.

Last edited:

Who Dares Wins

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2010
    Plainfield
    Get an LMT! (Lewis Machine and Tool)

They beat the SCAR 17 in accuracy tests for the British Royal Marines and cost a bit less. The LM8 is the lighter version and it is heavier than a SCAR 17, but absorbs the recoil a little better. You can swap barrels easily for a caliber exchange!

Top Bottom