• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • xilegend

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2015
    Speedway
    Yes I am new to the reloading world, and yes, yes, yes, and yes. My question deals with all the various powder choices. Working with 45acp loads. keeping it simple at first with 230g fmj bullets. Due to pistol powder outage, a friend was nice enough to sell me some Alliant Power Pistol. Most post I have read deal with the Win 231 powder, so I am just curious as to what kind of results I should expect. Reference material says 6.4 - 7.2, thinking of starting with 6.6 or 6.8
    Thanx

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    Welcome to the forum!

Always start at the minimum charge and work your way up. I have a jug of Power Pistol but haven't opened it yet so I can't comment.

You're over by Profire, you could swing by and talk to them. Might be able to find some powder. I was just at Atterbury and they have a bunch of titegroup and primers...but not much else.

I started with Titegroup last April as its all I could find. I have been picking up a jug here and there to expand my collection. On Titegroup I know you have be be very careful not to double charge a case.

MTN

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 3, 2014
    Laporte Co.
    I used power pistol for 9mm and it worked good. I used 5.7 gr to start, good sized fireball at a indoor range.

I would start at the lowest start wieght and work your way up from there.

Just bought a pound of bullseye to start my .45 reloading.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Power Pistol is a little slow for 45 ACP, but still suitable. Best to stick with heavy bullets like the 230gr FMJ's you have. One good thing is you're not likely to be able to double-charge a case without overflowing, but don't quote me on that.

Start at minimum and work your way up, looking for function and shooting to point of aim. Once your action cycles properly and you have a decent group where you are aiming, you're done...no need to go higher to get more velocity.

RMC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 7, 2012
    McCordsville
    I use Power Pistol for 9mm, 357 Sig, 45 ACP, and even loaded some 380 with it. It is so far my powder of choice. It meters well, and I find it is very consistent as far as grouping.

Karl-just-Karl

Retired
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2014
    NE
    I've found Power Pistol to produce the most factory-like ammo feel in my .45's. I was using 6.7gn of Power Pistol with a plated 230 grain. My primers were starting to flatten pretty good and I decided to back it off from there. All firearms are different, always be cautious.

A lot of people who reload seem to try to find softer recoiling loads for plinking and range time. Winchester 231 (aka HP-38) is very good at this. Titegroup can also make some lighter recoiling loads, but there is the danger of double charging (as already stated).

I've found pistol accuracy to come more from practice than load development.

Welcome to the world of reloading and INGO!

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    I loaded 20 or so rounds of 45 acp in power pistol yesterday. You CAN double charge I think...but you'd be compressing the hell out of the powder. So may be that means you can't double charge? I was running minimum on a 230 gr FMJ load spec with my coated Extreme bullets.

IndyGlockMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    Fishers
    I loaded 20 or so rounds of 45 acp in power pistol yesterday. You CAN double charge I think...but you'd be compressing the hell out of the powder. So may be that means you can't double charge? I was running minimum on a 230 gr FMJ load spec with my coated Extreme bullets.

It means that if you double charge, the case is really full or spilling out and it's easy to spot so you catch it before a bullet goes on top.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    IF YOU ARE LOADING MAGNUM PISTOL AND LITE ARMS CARTAGE BEING 223 7.62 X 39 243 270 308 30-06

IMR 4227

Please list load data for 243 and 270 that calls for IMR-4227.

For the record: IMR-4227 is more or less the fastest rifle powder made, which is to say it is just a little slower than H110/W296. It is suitable for SOME magnum pistol loads, and it can be used in some of the 'tweener cartridges with good results. Of the rounds listed above, it's really only a GOOD choice in one of them; the 7.62x39.

Top Bottom