• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • behiggie

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2011
    I have been using a lee perfect powder measure for about five years now and it is getting a little loose. I am wondering if there is any other stand alone measure like that but built a little better? I am loading on a single stage press so I don't want a die mounted style, and I am cheap so I don't want a $350 electronic one either. Thanks

shooter1054

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    South Indianapolis
    I have used the Lyman 55 powder measure and also the Hornady LNL. I much prefer the Hornady measure. With the metering inserts, it is easy to change between calibers. It is accurate and repeteable. I made a stand for it and it is a breeze to use. The Hornady typically runs about $60-75.

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    I've used most currently available and a few that no longer are. RCBS Uniflow is excellent across a range of powders, and priced right. The only other option I'd consider is a Redding 3BR, it is a bit smoother with extruded powders.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    I've been using an RCBS Uniflow (among others) for 25 years...it works as well today as it did back then. Others might be as good, or a tiny bit better, but only at substantially greater cost.

T/C Guy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    North of South Bend
    I upgraded from the Lee p. p. measure to a Redding Model 3 with the universal metering chamber more than 20 years ago. At some point I bought a handgun chamber for it (for metering light charges). Now Redding offers the Model 3K which includes both the universal and handgun metering chambers and that's what I would recommend. I have always checked my measured charges periodically on a RCBS 10-10 scale and the Redding has been 100% consistent - and it's available for a reasonable price.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    +1 to Broom..

I've been using an RCBS Uniflow (among others) for 25 years...it works as well today as it did back then. Others might be as good, or a tiny bit better, but only at substantially greater cost.

^^^This is my opinion also--In fact, I have/use two Uniflow's. One with the small powder drum, and one with the large powder drum..Bill.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    The RCBS Uniflow is a great unit. The Redding BR is great quality but a lot more money than the RCBS. The Hornady powder measure is cheaper and far better than the Lee. I have never owned a Lyman

CookieMonster

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    NE Indiana
    Not that my set up matters too much, but I have an old power dump that my dad used 30-40 years ago. I have it set to throw about 1 grain below what I want for my final charge, then I trickle in the last grain or so. I'm also using a 40+ year old beam scale (Lyman M5) that was a hand-me-down. I have a newer back-up scale (Lyman Pro 500) but I'm finding that it's not a good as my M5 scale. The Pro 500 tends to be sticky for some odd reason. The nice thing about the beam scales is that you can "see" if you're getting close to the next 1/10th grain.

In short, I take my time and measure everything. That way, when I can't hit the target, I can't blame the ammo.

My reload speed as about 100 an hour on a single stage press after neck or FL sizing has been done, and brass cleaned and prepped.

indygunguy

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    110   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    NE Side of Indy
    I had an RCBS Uniflow for years and recetnly switched to the Hornady. Nothing wrong with the RCBS, but Horandy inserts are very easy to change and the action on the Hornady is just smoother.

Both good throwers.

Top Bottom