• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ScouT6a

Master
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    Recently bought out an elderly gentleman's reloading equipment and supplies. One item that I got, in the truck load of stuff, is a vintage Lyman Number 55 powder measure. I know that Lyman still makes this measure but mine came with the original box and I would say it's 35-40 years old.
    This thing has quickly found a home on my reloading bench. My main press is a Dillon 550B and it doesn't like stick powders. I got a great deal on several pounds of stick powder and the Lyman has been great on helping the powder find a home in .223 Remington cases.
    Anyone else running a No. 55?

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    I own maybe a half a dozen or more measures, I have two 55's one thats smokeless and a 55 Black powder. They work well.

dekeshooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    Bunker Hill
    I have two on my bench. Both were bought used. I run pistol powder through one and rifle powder through the other. They can usually be found at a lower price point than the green brand's measures.
    I think the "knocker" helps settle the powder and keep charges running very consistently. I also find adjustments to be quick and easy to make.

ScouT6a

Master
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    I had a Forster Bench Rest measure that had an overly complicated adjustment system. It went up the road.

trophyhunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 2, 2008
    South Bend
    I love those 55's for stick powder, used two of them for years and they dropped really well every time I still have one set up to load M2 ball with and it drops IMR 4895 nicely every time.

slickshot223

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 18, 2015
    Loudonville
    Have had a Lyman 55 for 35 yrs-----have 2 Dillon 550's load only ball and short stick powders in them--get the Lyman out for all long stick powders, best measure for them!!!

Top Bottom