• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • asipes

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 7, 2012
    Central Indiana
    This may be an absolutely crazy and/or stupid question... but I'm totally new to handguns and reloading... so here goes!

Anyone ever powder painted their cast "boolits"? Would it cause any problems? Would there be an pros/cons to how it performs?

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    I can't see it making a difference, one way or another, so long as it doesn't cause a problem with bullet lube. Aren't the cast boolits purdy enough, as is? :D

asipes

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 7, 2012
    Central Indiana
    I know it's a totally crazy idea... and I figured it might gum up the barrel or something... but also thought that a coating could possibly help trajectory. I'm sure someone has tried it before... and there's probably a reason people don't do it.

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    I would imagine it would be about like shooting moly coated bullets through your barrel. On the other hand, a fluorescent orange color would be pretty cool and you might be able to see your bullet as it travels.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    I would not..

Just remember, whatever the bullet is coated with will be coating the inside of your barrel after discharge. With the Hi Temp of the discharge, it MAY coat your barrel with some pretty tough stuff to remove?? Bill.

asipes

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 7, 2012
    Central Indiana
    It should be noted that I'm not planning on trying this... just wondered if someone had done it or even thought about it. Even if I thought it was a good idea... I probably wouldn't have the guts to experiment.

zoglog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Sep 20, 2009
    Hendricks Co
    Green tip 556 doesn't come in contact with the barrel. Uncle Sam let me shoot a bunch of this stuff for free and it worked out great. Now if you are painting the whole thing thats a horse of a different color.

blurr95

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Green tip 556 doesn't come in contact with the barrel. Uncle Sam let me shoot a bunch of this stuff for free and it worked out great. Now if you are painting the whole thing thats a horse of a different color.

We're talking bullits of different colors, not horses.

Top Bottom