• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gunfan72

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 15, 2011
    Kokomo
    So I hear buying powder from gun shows is smart since you don't take the shipping hit. I only currently have rifle dies (might change that this weekend). Which powders should I be on the look out for and more important what are fair prices?

mac45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2008
    Depends on what you want to load for.
    I use a lot of W231 and Unique.
    Titegroup and 2400 are real useful also.

I expect prices to be inflated for a while yet. I won't hazard a guess.

tatic05

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 3, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    All the shows in Fort Wayne I could not find Unique any where. I ended up finding some at PSA when I was on vacation and bought it up.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    I only currently have rifle dies

So I hear buying powder from gun shows is smart since you don't take the shipping hit. I only currently have rifle dies (might change that this weekend). Which powders should I be on the look out for and more important what are fair prices?

It all depends what Rifle loads you are making??

Overall most rifle powders will go for $20.00 per lb.
    If you buy a bulk (8lb.) jug the price will drop to $16-17.00 per lb.

I buy local from The Indiana Gun Club. Their prices are hard to beat on a cash+carry..Bill.

FMJ

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    Fort Waste
    It all depends what Rifle loads you are making??

Overall most rifle powders will go for $20.00 per lb.
    If you buy a bulk (8lb.) jug the price will drop to $16-17.00 per lb.

I buy local from The Indiana Gun Club. Their prices are hard to beat on a cash+carry..Bill.

Around here powders are running in the $27 a lb area. (i use 4227, 4895 and unique...4895 is my rifle powder)

Good luck finding 4 or 8 lbs jugs at the show. Last time i went all they were selling were the 1lb cans. I want 8 lb jugs since i reload quite a bit and can burn thru some 4895 rather quick.

mac45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2008
    Which Unique do you like, for what calibers, and why?

There's only one Unique that I know of.
    At one point or another I think I've used it in ever pistol caliber I load for.
    I've also used it for reduced loads with cast boolits in the .30-06, .38-55, and .45-70.

There may be better choices for a particular application, but Unique is one of the more versatile powders out there.

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    Profile has lots of powder on the shelf at everyday prices. Andrew had 250k primers show up Thursday and they will probably be gone by the end of the day Saturday. He treats people very fair and has yet to try to triple his prices due to politics. Give him a call....except for small rifle primers.... He is out and has 1,000,000 on back order. Seriously, a million! And you save the parking and door fee to get in.

bberg

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    Bloomimgton

I stopped in the army surplus off 45 today, I saw they had all primers last week for 27.95 per thousand. All boxes had new stickers at 39.99 today. as I left they asked if they could help me find anything I just told them no thanks I'll go to Indy or pay the hazmat fee but thanks for the gouging.

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    If you are buying in bulk and are already making a pretty far drive to go to the 1500, I'd suggest just ordering online to save yourself some money. If primers are $37-38 per 1k at the show, the cost of gas, and the door/parking fee, you don't have to buy many to save the cost of the hazmat and shipping fee. I know for me, the drive to the show and back is more than the hazmat fee. Add in parking and door cost, that's shipping. The only difference is I have to wait a couple of days to get it.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    I've been trying to find a place to order some large and small pistol primers online. I have 1k of each on the way already but where I ordered them from is sold out now (i.e. I can't get more). To be honest I'm very new to reloading so the 1k will last me a bit, but I'd like to have a bit more once I get rolling.

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    I've been trying to find a place to order some large and small pistol primers online. I have 1k of each on the way already but where I ordered them from is sold out now (i.e. I can't get more). To be honest I'm very new to reloading so the 1k will last me a bit, but I'd like to have a bit more once I get rolling.

Have you signed up for them to notify you by email when they are back in stock? Then hopefully you can get some when they do... if they aren't sold out in a matter of minutes that is.

Top Bottom