• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 45calibre

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    NWI
    i plan on making my reloading room in my basement and just like any basement there is humidity. is it really a problem for sealed powder in the original container and primers? i plan on keeping no more that two pounds of powder at a time and maybe 5k primers at a time. are they that sensitive to humidity?

the area of the basement that i use is 800 square feet and my actual reloading room is about 2-300 square feet of that in an enclosed room. what sixe dehumidifier will be good for that? if i keep the door open im my reloading room will it dehumidify the whole are?

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    For short term storage ( a couple of years) no issue at all unless the basement is so damp that everything down there is constantly wet.

For longer term storage (decades) sealing against moisture would be advisable since the metals associated with primers can corrode and the containers for powder can become compromised.

Your biggest issue with humidity is the press and dies rusting. I fight this all the time. Humidity doesn't affect powder or priming compounds. Too dry is actually a problem with reloading as it allows static to build up and fine powders don't dispense as well.

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    What kind of humidity levels are we talking? I mean, at what level does humidity become a "sooner" than "later" issue?

40%, 70%, more, less?

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I use turtle wax spray on car wax on my dies, press, etc. It does a good job of keeping the metal sealed away from the moisture. Since almost all powder is in plastic jugs, I do not worry about that. Primers last a long time. If you are concerned about long term, keep them in the original packaging and put the boxes in tupperware or some other sealed plastic container. Good Luck

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    What kind of humidity levels are we talking? I mean, at what level does humidity become a "sooner" than "later" issue?

40%, 70%, more, less?

40% humidity is relatively (see what I did there?) low. 70% is high and may cause metals to corrode faster on the scale of months to years. 90%+ may cause metals to corrode on the scale of weeks and fiberboard to start molding. None of those will hurt the powder itself or the priming compounds.

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    You need a humidty gauge. Humidity between 40 and 50% is ideal. Any higher and it will damage more than just your primers. Your house is at risk at high levels.

If the humidity is high, get a dehumidifier that is the proper size for 800 sq ft.

Slim400

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    INDIANAPOLIS SS IN
    humidity issue

Hi all just would ring in on the If the humidity is truly a problem. Find yourself an old refrigerator that doesn't work the seal intact with a working seal to store your powders and primers.Dehumidifier is a decent idea as well if you look around at swap meets and garage sales. Can be generally bought for $10 and $20 enlist the humidity is really high has suggested in the other post I do not think surfers rest will be an issue if your furnace is in the basement where you're reloading room is going in mice suggests either putting in our opening event into the basement to raise the ambient air temperature this will lower the humidity and dry the air out preventing the surface rust problem I personally have kept equipment in an unheated outbuilding for many years here in central Indiana have not had surfers rust problem

45calibre

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    NWI
    Hi all just would ring in on the If the humidity is truly a problem. Find yourself an old refrigerator that doesn't work the seal intact with a working seal to store your powders and primers.Dehumidifier is a decent idea as well if you look around at swap meets and garage sales. Can be generally bought for $10 and $20 enlist the humidity is really high has suggested in the other post I do not think surfers rest will be an issue if your furnace is in the basement where you're reloading room is going in mice suggests either putting in our opening event into the basement to raise the ambient air temperature this will lower the humidity and dry the air out preventing the surface rust problem I personally have kept equipment in an unheated outbuilding for many years here in central Indiana have not had surfers rust problem

what?

c3d4b2

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 16, 2010
    +1
    Find yourself an old refrigerator that doesn't work the seal intact with a working seal to store your powders and primers

It is best if the fridge does not have a mechanical latch. I have also read about people keeping there mil surplus powder in a freezer to retard the powder breakdown.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    I'm trying to figure out what tired surfers have to do with this thread. :D

OK, ok...I know he meant "surface rust", but c'mon...that was FUNNY! :)

OP, stop over-thinking this. Keep powders in their original containers, with the lids on reasonably tight. Put primers in a Tupperware container. Done.

Leave the nasty old broken refrigerator in someone else's basement!

If you have reloading equipment in a basement, you need a dehumidifier. Do a little research and buy one. Nothing could be easier.

Top Bottom