• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Im looking into loading up some .223 for my bench rest AR. I am wanting to try some 69gr sierra HPBT, winchester brass, an CCI primers. Im wanting to what would be a good powder for precision shooting?

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    I have herd that was good stuff, what kind of results have you had with it?

It meters well. Hodgdon claims it is durable in changing weather conditions. My experience with it is from moderate spring temps to dog days of summer swealter with good groups using the same recipe.

I've worked with it alot and found that it is easy to build a load that gives performance groups with the 69gr Sierra from 200 to 500 yds.

That being said, don't discount this recommendation as well. Ratt knows well of what he speaks...
    VVn140 or Rl15

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Varget, pushing 69 Sierra sparked by CCI. Results, 200 with an X count of 14 on a 200 yard rapid fire target at Camp Perry during the Ohio State Rifle Assotiation State Championship, shooting service rifle. I missed a wind change on the second 10 shots that blew 6 bullets about 1/4 inch into the ten ring or it would have easily been 20X clean. I think the load was working ok. Good Luck

Slapstick

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    For that bullet Sierra recommends using Varget for the accuracy load. http://accurateshooter.net/Downloads/sierra223ar.pdf

On a side note I tried using TAC with their recommended loadings and was sorely disappointed with the results. I then used TAC with the Seirra recommended loadings and was pleasantly surprised by the performance. I still prefer Varget but TAC will now do in a pinch.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Thanks alot for all the recomendations fellas, But I think Varget is the winning choice everyonce seem to be in agrement on this one. Ill have to go pick up some this week.

Top Bottom