• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jdhaines

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Toledo, OH
    I was told when I started everyone needs a good beam scale to check your electronics...although some electronics come with check weights. I noticed Dillon's eliminator(?) and the RCBS 5-0-2 scales are identical and the RCBS 5-0-5 scale is just slightly updated. I have a 5-0-2. The beam scales are cheaper than a good electronic scale...ease of use is likely a toss up depending on who you ask.

Boiled Owl

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    Newton Co. !
    Hey Harley:

Don't be scared by a manual beam scale. Have used my RCBS 5-0-5 since 1982?

Used mainly to check and set the charge from the powder measures.

Maybe if I was going for super accuracy and wanted some sort of scale/ trickler it would be different.

Have had friends with troublesome electronic ones. Sorry don't remember the brand.

I like the simplicity, If I don't get back to reloading for a few months, no batteries to worry about being dead or leaking. It suits my needs well.

dbd870

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2009
    I loaded with a beam scale for years, use an electronic now, but I use a wall unit on mine so no batteries to worry about. I trickle all my high power rifle rounds so it is nice for that. The only thing I have noticed is I need to turn it on and let it warm up as the zero creeps just a touch at first.

indygunguy

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    110   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    NE Side of Indy
    I have an RCBS 505 and an inexpensive MTM digital scale. Always good to have two scales to check them against each other. I normally just use the 505, but it's very handy to have the electronic scale around too.

Foxfire

Plinker
    Rating - 80%
    4   1   0
    Aug 18, 2010
    Seymour
    I've had both, This is one area where you get what you pay for. If your going to go cheaper go with a beam. If you want an electronic scale pay the money, get the best.

M2A2

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 26, 2010
    Jasper county
    get the Dillon and dont look back. battery if you like...I plug mine into the wall! nice.. Check it often buy checking it with test weight..! #1:rockwoot:

Yamaha

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Summitville,IN
    I'm a big fan of beam scales and dial calipers; no batteries required!
    I was taught that way and I doubt I'll ever go electric.....then again, I was also taught to weigh individual components and reweigh at the end....which is time consuming, but I have the extra time....lol

I'm alreading thinking of junking my lee powder scale that came in my new kit, and go to the scoop and trickler method....

I think this is all about choice. :yesway:

Top Bottom