• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Just courious how you guys weigh out your powder on custom loads. Do you use a beam type scale or electronic scale. The beam scale that came in my kit looks a little chincey an I dont think Im gonna trust it. Im looking at geting a electronic scale just seems like it may make it a little easier. plus getting a powder trickler. So what do you guys use?

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    until last month i used a rcbs 10-10 beam scale. i put a web cam on the readout to get rid of some of the variance.

last month i bought a acculab 123. its my first experiance with didgital scales but so far im impressed.

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    I have a couple of electronics. VIC 303 probably gets used most often, which is just a higher capacity version of vette's 123. They are very stable and repeatable as far as portable balances go.

Although I throw powder rather than weight it, so the balances are used mostly for setup and some once in a while sorting.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Have you checked it against your beam scale Vette? How accurate is it?

i have not checked it against the beam, to be honest i think i would be checking the beam against it from what ive read. ill see if they differ and get back to you. it reads out to the .02 grain. a grain of h4350 wieght about .01-.02

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I have an electronic scale. I've not compared my loads to by beam scale because it was trash, but my groupings are tight and the recoil is relatively soft.

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    I got a cheaper end electronic scale and had trouble with it. I'd zero it, weigh my powder, remove the powder and end up with a number like -0.6 when it should be reading zero again. I then got a Dillon beam scale which has been great. If you got a higher end electronic scale, I would imagine you could expect more from it...

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    i have not checked it against the beam, to be honest i think i would be checking the beam against it from what ive read. ill see if they differ and get back to you. it reads out to the .02 grain. a grain of h4350 wieght about .01-.02
    Ok cool, Thanks:yesway:

I have an electronic scale. I've not compared my loads to by beam scale because it was trash, but my groupings are tight and the recoil is relatively soft.
    Must be doing something right then:D. Thats kind of were Im at with the beam scale that came in my kit, it just looks cheap, an I messed with it a little and it really dont work that smooth, Im not going to trust it.

Get a beam scale or electronic scale, but get a set of check weights!!!
    Yea thats a fact!

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    I got a cheaper end electronic scale and had trouble with it. I'd zero it, weigh my powder, remove the powder and end up with a number like -0.6 when it should be reading zero again. I then got a Dillon beam scale which has been great. If you got a higher end electronic scale, I would imagine you could expect more from it...

Yea I wouldnt mind spending a little on a good one to know I can trust it.

Menace67

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Noblesville
    I use an electronic pact and when I use the check weights its dead on. I'm using a powder thrower so once I get it set I'm pretty good to go and just check every now and then.

shooter1054

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    South Indianapolis
    I use a beam scale. I tried an inexpensive electronic scale and was disappointed to say the least. I am not a competitive shooter, so I don't notice if my groups open up a 1/4" at 200 yards. As long as I can hit a 6" target at 10-15 yards with handguns, I'm happy.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2011
    If you get an electronic scale, keep cell phones away from it when in use. Cell phones can interphere (for lack of a better word) and make the scale say numbers that arent true

1911Shooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2011
    Pendleton, IN
    I went with a digital scale when I first started and I liked it but it took a lot of time. Time that could be used shooting, instead of reloading. So I went with a smartreloader iSD charge dispenser. I love it and it really speeds up the process. Now I use it set on automatic and while its doing it thing I use the digital. What used to take an hour to do now takes 20 mins or so. Doing it this way I will worn you that you must pay a lot of attention to what you are doing but it works for me.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    If you really research into the load cell design of electronic scales, for best accuracy you need to have them temperature stablized and have had the unit turned on for quite a while. In the world of measurement, 10/ths of grains is not really small, but if the scale will not repeat to at least a 10th, it is not a viable measurement device for our use. I have trashed a couple of low end electronic scales, you get what you pay for. I keep going back to my old beam scale. It repeats fine and does not drift.

I have been in the Westinghouse Weights and measures certification lab in Chicago. That lab is certified by the the United States Weights and Measures. Pretty impressive lab and equipment. They certify equipment for the Drug, Nuclear, and Chemical industries. With all that hi tech equipment, they use a beam balance scale to certify lab grade electronic scales. (A VERY impressive balance mounted on a huge vibration isolation suspension system with glass doors around the pan to keep from weighing the motion of your breath)

The electronic scales are more conveinient if you have a good one that calibrates easily and repeats the measurment reliably.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Yea thats the thing to be aware of is how accurate the electronic ones are. One of the Lee Safty Scales came in my kit and I dont think I could trust it. The movement of the beam is very jerky at best and cant get it on zero for nothing. Id really like to have an electronic just for ease of use. But I want my charges to be accurate also.

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    After doing quite a bit of research I decided on the RCBS 10 10 beam scale and am very happy with it. My reloading bench is in my garage and it is not temperature stable. The digital scales seemed to be too sensitive to temp. varitaions for my comfort. The 10 10 comes with a check weight and is very easy to read and use. I am also a believer in the buy it once theory and am not afraid to buy quality tools when saftey is a concern. Andrew's class from Profire Arms drove that point home. Buy quality scales and calipers and save mony in other areas.

Top Bottom