• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brownie

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 7, 2011
    Fayette county
    Just out of curiosity! What are (if any) the rules and regulations on smokeless powder storage in a home? What type cabinet? How much are you allowed to have on hand? Etc.Etc. Thanks INGO:ingo:

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I do not remember exactly, it used to be the first few pages in Hercules powder company data books. I think 50 lb is a residential area was a problem as well as carrying more than 25 lbs in a regular car. They have a requirement for storage in a pine cabinet with walls at least 1 inch thick. Primers are not to be anywhere nearby. Every lease I have ever looked at had a gun powder clause, so renters are screwed. I would take a look at the alliant powder web site, I'll bet they have a link there.

ben992

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 16, 2011
    Spencer County
    Just out of curiosity! What are (if any) the rules and regulations on smokeless powder storage in a home? What type cabinet? How much are you allowed to have on hand? Etc.Etc. Thanks INGO:ingo:
    Gun shops have literally hundreds of pounds sitting out...I know it isn't a home, but what is the difference? I say get as much as you can get under every bed in the house.:):

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I do not remember exactly, it used to be the first few pages in Hercules powder company data books. I think 50 lb is a residential area was a problem as well as carrying more than 25 lbs in a regular car. They have a requirement for storage in a pine cabinet with walls at least 1 inch thick. Primers are not to be anywhere nearby. Every lease I have ever looked at had a gun powder clause, so renters are screwed. I would take a look at the alliant powder web site, I'll bet they have a link there.

What I believe you are refering to is Nation Fire Protection Association's bulletin 495.

As far as I know, the info is still there. Only difference is it's toward the back now and now days it's Alliant. Also, I'm not sure the info is law, but rather NFPA's recommendation on storage and transportation.

I would think most localities would have fire codes, which could be different than what NFPA suggests.

Last edited:

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Black powder IIRC has maximums and specific storage requirements including the construction of the bomb and for transportation... I'm too lazy to google them right now.

Smokeless powder... I'm not aware of any state laws regarding storage, and I've not searched for any federal laws.

Store in a cool dry place in the original container with the lid on tightly. I store primers in a separate cabinet, and if you're one of those "worst case scenario" people, then store limited amounts in contact.

The cabinet, IMO should be "loosely" (meaning not air tight) constructed of wood and a fair amount of ventilation.

Last edited:

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel

Black powder, maybe. Do you any citations for smokeless? I don't know of any such restrictions.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    The link Azserigan provided is the info I was talking about and it talks about smokeless powder. Even when I was shooting a lot, I would have a keg or two of shotgun powder a keg or two of Varget, maybe a Keg of Pistol powder and a few assorted lbs of magnum rifle powder, I would almost always be under the 50 lb level, and I owned the home, so I didn't really watch the regulations. I have no way of knowing if it is an enforcable law, statues, insurance regulations or what, I do not know. I am sure an apartment building burned down and they found a renter had 50 plus lbs of powder, they would charge him with something. Check out the link, and read page 15. It is all there.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    The link Azserigan provided is the info I was talking about and it talks about smokeless powder. Even when I was shooting a lot, I would have a keg or two of shotgun powder a keg or two of Varget, maybe a Keg of Pistol powder and a few assorted lbs of magnum rifle powder, I would almost always be under the 50 lb level, and I owned the home, so I didn't really watch the regulations. I have no way of knowing if it is an enforcable law, statues, insurance regulations or what, I do not know. I am sure an apartment building burned down and they found a renter had 50 plus lbs of powder, they would charge him with something. Check out the link, and read page 15. It is all there.

That is the same info as whats in Alliants manual, Speer, ect... That is a recommendation from NFPA. Under bulletin 495, they cover storage/transportation of smokeless powder and also primers.

As for actual ordinances / law, I wouldn't know.

Top Bottom