• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jdg0724

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 6, 2010
    Plainfield
    I am getting ready to get started into reloading and am compiling as many reloading manuals and other books to get the best understanding of the reloading process. My issue is this: Is there 1 powder that would be compatible for loading 10mm, .40, .45, and 9mm.I want to shoot 180-200 gr. bullets for the 10mm. 180 gr. for the .40, 230 gr for the .45 and 115-124 gr for the 9mm. They will probably mostly be jacketed, no lead bullets will be used. I am having trouble finding the same powder listed for all of the calibers. I am assuming it has something to do with maybe some of the calibers needing a faster burning powder than others? I would just like to find a powder I could use for all of my handgun reloading needs. Any help would be greatly appreciated. i just dont want to buy 4 different kind of powders if not necessary. Thanks.:)

45-70

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2008
    Cale
    For what it's worth I use Universal for almost all of my hand gun loads for the reasons you stated above. I used to have about 20 different powders and I have cut that back to 5. Check out the Hodgdon data for your calibers.

O'Shark

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2011
    Ladoga, IN
    I use both Accurate Arms #5 and Unique for 9mm and .45ACP. I think WW231 is listed for both but I can't seem to get it to cycle my compact 9mm reliably. AA #5 flows like water and gives consistent drops in my Lyman powder measure albeit with somewhat lower velocities. Unique is fluffy and a little weird to work with but gives excellent velocities and total reliability in my loads.

NIFT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    The choice of powder is an important aspect, but it is not the most important. Proper reloading procedures and function testing loads in your gun are the most important.

Personally, I have (currently!) settled on TiteGroup as a powder, but that is not very important.

Taper crimping is a critical step in reloading ammunition for the semi-auto, and specifications listed in reloading manuals usually are the maximum dimension from SAAMI specs. Not enough crimp can cause feeding/chambering problems; while too much crimp can cause headspace problems, as semi-auto rounds headspace on the case mouth

The best way to determine the optimum finished outside diameter of the case mouth it to take two or three rounds of premium factory ammunition (Winchester, Federal) and carefully measure the O.D. of the case mouth using the knife-edge end of a dial (or electronic) calipers. Remember, there is a taper crimp; so, it is important to take your time and be sure you are measuring the very end of the case mouth.

That will give you a finished dimension for your taper crimp die--a separate die used as the last reloading step. For a 10mm/.40, you should get 0.418" (plus or minus .001") and for the .45, you should get 0.461" (plus or minus .001").

Using trial and correction, carefully "sneak up" on that finished dimension with your taper crimp die; then, tighten the locking ring. This will be a slow process of running a reloaded round through the die, carefully measuring the result, adjusting the die (very small increments!) and repeating the process until you have the desired finished case mouth diameter.

Now, function testing.
    Load two or three rounds starting with the minimum recommended charge, and, then, working down in 0.2 grain increments until you find the point where your gun will not function--usually a stove pipe. Increase that charge 0.3 grains, and you should have a good practice load that minimizes wear and tear on your gun. Be sure to function test all your magazines!

Whew!
    Long, but I hopes it helps a bit.

Last edited:

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    you can use power pistol in all of those and I do in the 9 and .45 but Longshot edges out power pistol for accuracy and speed in my 10mm and 40
    So 2 powders isn't that bad :)

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Excellent choices

you can use power pistol in all of those and I do in the 9 and .45 but Longshot edges out power pistol for accuracy and speed in my 10mm and 40

Great choices, Allen. I use a lot of TightGroup on these loads, but your selection is right on, especially for the "New Reloader", due to the higher case capacity loads. This will also help to avoid the dreaded "Double Charge", that TightGroup, Bullseye, and A-A #2 are known for with the beginner..Thanks Al...Bill.

jdg0724

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 6, 2010
    Plainfield
    Thank you all for your suggestions. I greatly appreciate it. This gives me a great start. I cant wait to get into reloading. I think I am going to get a Lee Turrett Press within the next week or so.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I love to use Clays in all of my reloads. Some say it's too flaky, but I've found it to be a good powder in 9mm, .40 S&W, and .45 ACP.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009

I don't think there can be a better single answer to this thread than what you offered up. Power Pistol is a very versatile powder and if I HAD to go with just one for all four of these cartridges, it's what I would choose. Thankfully, we live in America where we have options! :)

Top Bottom